10 weekers won't eat growers feed

• 8 Replies

TashaH

10 weekers won't eat growers feed
« on: November 20, 2015, 14:39 »
Hi all,

My 3 youngsters are well due for growers feed, but no matter what form I give it, crumbs, pellets or mash, they wont eat it. The oldest has lost some weight (I have been away for a few days and noticed it on my return) and he wont even eat scrambled egg, warm porridge or anything.

Any ideas how to conquer this?? I am concerned for him and the others as they usually follow his lead :(

Many thanks in advance.

Prod

Re: 10 weekers won't eat growers feed
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2015, 14:58 »
Hi  you don't say whether they are large fowl or bantams but either way it can be difficult for them to move straight from crumbs to pellets.  Try mixing it together or, as I do for my bantams, blend the growers a little (I got a Kenwood mini blender for £9.99 & use that) sometimes with a little corn, something different that might tempt them.  I have used sachets of cat food, they love tuna, with great effect. At the moment it is noodles.....  (I know)   but anyway  I digress.  Try scratching the food container as their mother would do  and also check they are drinking as it may be something more serious. A drop of poultry drink or tonic wont harm either...  Good Luck

TashaH

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2015, 15:17 »
Hi sorry, yes... I should of said the breeds. Oldest is a light sussex, then a cream legbar and a silkie. I did even try the blended growers mixed with the crumb, and left as pellets but it's like they know what I am up to lol.

So they can have some corn also? I wasn't sure about that at their age. I will try the cat food pouches as my big girls love them. And yes they are drinking. The water is topped up/changed daily so I know they are drinking, and they also have tonic water twice a week. Will they need grit mixed in also?

Thanks for your help :)

Prod

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2015, 16:20 »
I think once they are really hungry, given nothing else is wrong, they should start eating.  I have a pen with 12 ten weeks old in and they are like rabid vultures when I put the food in!!!   I don't think they need grit until after you have put them on layers and they are closer to POL but it depends how soon you put them outside so they can find grit naturally.  Hope that helps (I am no expert!!!)  and good luck!! :)

Beekissed

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2015, 04:55 »
They need grit at all times if you want them to digest well, no matter the food.  I give grit~in some form or other~to day old chicks on upwards.   

You could always wet it and let it swell and soften up to see if they'd eat it. 

Sassy

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2015, 17:30 »
Yes do need grit. It is oyster shell they don't need yet  :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

TashaH

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2015, 20:36 »
Thanks all... they didn't want any "human" type food, only my older girls, but I will make sure that they have grit available anyway. Thankfully they are now eating the growers pellets crushed up!

On a side note, I have just noticed that my 2wk chick has 2 wonky toes :s I have managed to splint one foot, but the toe that needs the most work, the splint wont stay on. I am using a cut up drinking straw that fits over the whole toe, taped on with fabric plasters. Should I persevere with this method or is there any easier way to help straighten them out.

Many thanks again! :)

grinling

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2015, 21:39 »
start a new post as GrannieAnnie as experience of this as well as loads others

TashaH

« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2015, 22:31 »
Thanks will do :)

xx
Growers/layers feed

Started by Daisycow on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post June 30, 2008, 21:34
by Daisycow
xx
More frugal tips on using excess growers feed

Started by hillfooter on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post January 17, 2011, 16:50
by hillfooter
xx
growers pellets v growers meal

Started by jennywren on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post May 08, 2007, 15:42
by jennywren
xx
Eating their eggs...and to feed extras or not to feed..help!

Started by RosiesChooks on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post June 27, 2010, 22:37
by evie2

Page created in 0.231 seconds with 38 queries.