Best potatoe bags

• 5 Replies

chickpeacurry

• Experienced Member
Best potatoe bags
« on: January 13, 2014, 20:42 »
Looking to start some early potatoes in the greenhouse been looking at bags  which I could use.  J b a have some planter bags and these look strong.   Has anyone used them or can recommended them.  I also just saw a u tube video and they used rubble sacks.   I tried some apache potatoes for tea yesterday from lidl 99p they were really nice.  Would like to grow some.  Thanks

RookieJim

• Experienced Member
Re: Best potatoe bags
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2014, 20:47 »
I grew some earlies in 60L compost bags last year and they did well. I put some holes in the bottom, filled about a third of the bag compost and added some BFB, put 2 seed spuds and and had a decent crop.

No harm in giving it a try if you have some empty compost bags laying around.

Jim
British by birth, Scottish by the grace of God

finleyfreyaseth

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2014, 06:48 »
I managed to aquire 15 old black bins so will be growing mine in these this year  :D

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2014, 08:16 »
Not a recommendation, more a tip to avoid the Poundland ones. I find the handles rip off when you try to move a full bag, and the soil falls out the 'handy' harvesting slot whenever I water.

superpete

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2014, 09:32 »
I managed to aquire 15 old black bins so will be growing mine in these this year  :D

..same here, we've just had new wheelie bins round here and all our traditional black dustbins are not doing anything – I've got six together so far and plan to cut the bottoms off and sit them on the ground upside down (so they flare out towards the base) plant the spuds, and when it comes to harvest time I hope to be able to lift the bins up and off easily?

Willow_Warren

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2014, 09:58 »
I successfully grew one seed potato in a 10L pot.  I harvested them as small "new" potatoes and got a crop that would last 2 people a couple of meals!  As they don't store I quite liked growing them in smaller harvesting quantities.

I have also used the Wilki 60L bags, they are really cheap, used them for 2 years and they are still going stronge enought to use again this year.  I don't move them about much so the handles don't get a lot of wear!

http://www.wilko.com/seed-trays-plant-pots+planters/wilko-potato-grow-bag-x-2-42ltr/invt/0299007?VBMST=potato&VBMST=potato&VBMTC=da212c3e956cbfbb048cb9a9e3b91ba5

Hannah :)

xx
potatoe planting tool

Started by harry on Equipment Shed

21 Replies
Last post April 14, 2016, 12:47
by shedmeister
xx
Long handled potatoe fork

Started by bravemurphy on Equipment Shed

11 Replies
Last post November 27, 2014, 18:52
by dorimower
xx
'Fertiliser' bags

Started by mike2006 on Equipment Shed

2 Replies
Last post September 17, 2006, 13:22
by mike2006
xx
Potato Grow Bags PLEASE?

Started by lmillar11 on Equipment Shed

13 Replies
Last post March 11, 2010, 11:05
by BostonInbred

Page created in 0.145 seconds with 36 queries.