Spring onions not getting any bigger.

• 76 Replies

hubballi

Spring onions not getting any bigger.
« on: June 28, 2011, 23:35 »
I sewed some white spring onions as well as bought some red. Planted them in new compost in a deep trough and 6 weeks on they are exactly the same size and width. I water and feed so why no growth ? In fact, newly grown whites have been planted in a deeper container and they have gone whispy and limp.

Yet another 2011 complete disaster :-(

Ralphy

Re: Spring onions not getting any bigger.
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2011, 02:06 »
i've always found that they take ages, i planted some outside a couple of months ago and they stayed tiny for ages but they're starting to pick up now, seems like an exponetial growth thing, the bigger they get the faster they grow. wait for a bit i don't think they're a dead loss yet
is pottering about a vocation?

lucywil

• http://ourallotments.blogspot.com/
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2011, 08:29 »
i had about given up on mine because they had stayed tiny for ages but i noiced the other day they are actually starting to grow so fingers crossed for yours too

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2011, 10:55 »
Spring onions can easily take 3 months or more to grow  :D......if you want them early in the year you have to sow them in the greenhouse in winter. or sow in september for them to grow overwinter and be ready for harvest march/may.

lazza

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2011, 10:58 »
I was quite surprised this year. I've never had much success either with spring onions, but I decided to go for a late sowing, to see if anything survived the winter. And although only about a dozen seeds germinated (it was an old packet of seed, which is why I probably thought I'd give late sowing a try anyway), they all survived the very heavy snow over winter (albeit a bit flattened...) and developed quite nicely for harvesting in early June.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2011, 11:21 »
Are we talking spring onions, or spring planted onion sets?
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Kenilworth

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2011, 11:44 »
Are we talking spring onions, or spring planted onion sets?

Was going to ask the same, if we are talking "spring onions/salad onions" then I have the same problems as other people here,year after  year it can take months to get to any decent size even though the seed packet says 8 weeks. I have tried inside a green house, outside compost filled pots, direct into soil with no success, it got to the point i didnt bother last year!!!!!!!!!!!!

gobs

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2011, 19:49 »
Do they ever?

Spring onions can easily take 3 months or more to grow  :D......if you want them early in the year you have to sow them in the greenhouse in winter. or sow in september for them to grow overwinter and be ready for harvest march/may.

I did just that, sowed some in the GH in the autumn. I pulled the first ones at the weekend. :lol:
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2011, 21:11 »
Lawdy, hubballi, I think you ought to take up another hobby.  That's your spring onions, cucumbers, potatoes, rhubarb, broad beans, rocket, kale, radish, french beans, runner beans, beet leaves and onions all causing problems.

Maybe, for the sake of the poor vegetables you ought to take up knitting.  Nothing we say seems to help prevent this massacre of innocent veg.  :closedeyes:
Cheese makes everything better.

hubballi

« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2011, 19:20 »
Lawdy, hubballi, I think you ought to take up another hobby.  That's your spring onions, cucumbers, potatoes, rhubarb, broad beans, rocket, kale, radish, french beans, runner beans, beet leaves and onions all causing problems.

Maybe, for the sake of the poor vegetables you ought to take up knitting.  Nothing we say seems to help prevent this massacre of innocent veg.  :closedeyes:

I thought the whole point of this forum was to get help and advice, not discouragement :wacko:

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2011, 19:31 »
I'm afraid there seems to be a limit to the good that our advice gives  :wacko:

digalotty

« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2011, 19:34 »
im sure ice is just being tongue in cheek ,    dont worry my onions are no better or bigger but i will suffer leaving them in ,     my carrots were the same but are doing nicely now :)
when im with my 9yr old she's the sensible one

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2011, 19:39 »
Where abouts in Cheshire are you hubballi ?  We may have a gardener here who would be willing to visit your plot to see what you are doing wrong.  It seems quite fundamental and somethiong a good gardener would spot very quickly.

gobs

« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2011, 19:58 »

I thought the whole point of this forum was to get help and advice, not discouragement :wacko:

Ice is taking the mike, put on some sense of humour, all gardeners should have lots. It's kind of part of the job discription.  We all do have a lot of mishaps and failurs. And do not dispair. My husband is not allowed to even say about anything that it looks very healthy as it's likely to die shortly...

I have not seen the rhubarb thread. You cannot kill one of those. Cukes can have a load of problems, RDY is not such a grand variety, spring onions are slow growing, radish needs a load of water, brassica get the flee beetle holes in May/June time. The same for all of us. Cheer up! And do learn to laugh at it!

lucywil

• http://ourallotments.blogspot.com/
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2011, 20:54 »
I have not seen the rhubarb thread either but I have to disagree when you say you can't kill them, when we first got our plot I killed several of the bare root ones and had to end up buying one in a pot from a garden centre

xx
Big onions plus a even BIGGER ONE!

Started by Mash Mad on Grow Your Own

19 Replies
Last post September 04, 2010, 11:31
by digalotty
xx
autumn planted onions lifted early for spring onions

Started by Lisbon67 on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post September 22, 2013, 20:49
by Annen
xx
overwintering spring onions and bulb onions

Started by rowlandwells on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post July 28, 2019, 19:10
by sunshineband
xx
Spring onions

Started by heygrow on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post May 30, 2013, 12:11
by DD.

Page created in 0.395 seconds with 40 queries.