Coffee Grounds.

• 4 Replies

Russell Atterbury

• Experienced Member
Coffee Grounds.
« on: May 30, 2023, 17:18 »
I have got about a carrier bagful saved up from my one cup a day. I presume that a good sprinkling around my tomato plants should be ok, but would a portion around french beans and tromboncino also work out....I also have chard just starting and potato well on the way. Or there is always the option of throwing most of it on my compost heap which is mostly grass clippings. Advice welcome as always.

missmoneypenny

Re: Coffee Grounds.
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2023, 22:30 »
I was using it but then read that caffeine can inhibit germination so I must admit I stopped adding it to my heap. But maybe others will know more about this.

AnneB

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2023, 06:59 »
We mix ours with all our vegetable waste, lawn clippings and so on to make compost.  Haven't noticed any problems with it as a growing medium. I tend to use our home compost for my potato bags and to top up soil on raised beds rather than for seeds though.  I can't make enough for all my compost needs.

coldandwindy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2023, 07:31 »
Caffeine is very water soluble so I'd guess any in the heap would be washed away before compost is ready to use, wouldn't it?

Omega

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2023, 14:31 »
I was using it but then read that caffeine can inhibit germination so I must admit I stopped adding it to my heap. But maybe others will know more about this.

When you make your coffee most, if not all, of the caffeine will end up in your coffee. Only a very small amount will remain in the ground coffee beans.

Even if some caffeine makes it into the heap I would expect some of that to get consumed by the microorganisms in the heap leaving even less.

Inhibiting germination is only a problem if you plan to plant seeds. If you transplant things stopping the weeds germinating is a benefit.

xx
Coffee grounds

Started by Caddi fuller-teabags on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post March 07, 2009, 14:32
by zazen999
xx
coffee grounds

Started by hanssg on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post May 19, 2017, 01:14
by simonwatson
xx
Coffee grounds

Started by Dai on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post August 04, 2015, 14:11
by ptarmigan
xx
Coffee grounds?

Started by stompy on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post May 13, 2013, 20:36
by rowan57

Page created in 0.334 seconds with 43 queries.