Sick Chicken

• 3 Replies

Maccbean

• Experienced Member
    • My Bigger Picture Photo Gifts
Sick Chicken
« on: June 06, 2011, 09:47 »
I got four new poulets yesterday afternoon.  Opened up the house this morning to find one, a Bluebell, laying down and she wont get up, she also sounds a bit gurgley.  I've no idea what it could be.  She's in a box on my desk still lying, slightly on her side.  I've booked an appointment for the vet this morning, but she seems quite ill so I don't hold out much hope.  None of the vets around me are poultry vets so pinpointing the right illness is a bit of a lottery.  :(

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: Sick Chicken
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2011, 09:53 »
if she sounds gurgly is she also sneezing and does she have any bubbles in her eyes, any facial swelling? Open her beak and have a sniff.
She could have mycoplasma in which case your vet will need to prescribe a broad based antibiotic such as Aureomycin, Tylan, Denagard or Baytril and you will need to get enough for all the chickens.
Chickens can have this from before they are hatched as it can be passed down from the hen to the chick when the egg is still inside her (if they have it you should never breed from them) and any stress such as new home, moulting etc can trigger an attack. You will never get rid of it but you can usually control it.
Staffies are softer than you think.

Maccbean

• Experienced Member
    • My Bigger Picture Photo Gifts
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2011, 11:18 »
As I thought, the vet decided to put her down.  :( She couldn't stand and when she picked her up lots of liquid came out of her mouth.  She wasn't sneezing, just the gurgle.  I am worried about the others now though, although, none are showing signs of illness.  Do you think I ought to try and get some antibiotics to treat them anyway?

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2011, 11:21 »
the fluid could have been a sign of sour crop or impacted crop. If the others are showing no signs then don't worry but just keep a close eye on them for the next couple of weeks. If they show signs of the same thing then go back to the person you bought them off  :(

xx
Sick chicken

Started by friter on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post June 27, 2013, 22:35
by ANHBUC
xx
Help! Sick Chicken

Started by SJC on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post July 03, 2012, 11:57
by kegs
xx
Chicken Sick?

Started by RICH_Chicken on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post January 02, 2012, 18:52
by RICH_Chicken
xx
Sick Chicken Help please

Started by Alec on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post June 26, 2012, 22:36
by jill247

Page created in 0.24 seconds with 39 queries.