Broodys egg missing- would a rat take it away?

• 4 Replies

Oliveview

Broodys egg missing- would a rat take it away?
« on: August 13, 2010, 13:15 »
Broody hen had 3 eggs, (3rd Aug)  1 got broken and the other two were there yesterday- I had written 3rd Aug all around them so I knew which eggs were not to be taken out.  Today one is missing ???  I know we have rats (caught 2 baby rats in traps last night :D) As far as we know she sits on the eggs all night..... have hunted everywhere, no sign of the egg.  I took her off the nest, she swore at me.... no broken egg there.  Where is it????????
Pamela

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: Broodys egg missing- would a rat take it away?
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2010, 13:56 »
I had this with one of my broodies when she was sat on some guinea fowl eggs - she was in an eglu and one of the eggs disappeared. There was no gnaw marks in the eglu so nothing got in but overnight one egg disappeared. I think one must have broken and as in the case with a lot of wildlife the mum ate all the evidence.
Staffies are softer than you think.

Oliveview

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2010, 18:08 »
The hen is in the nesting box in the hen house, we have chain link fencing- so a rat could get through.  We can´t change the ´walls´ as it gets too hot in the summer to have solid walls.  We have solid walls on the windy side so  they are nice and snug in the winter.  We have had to take the solid walls down for the summer- poor hens were suffering at night when the temps are in high 30ñs low 40´s during the day.
Pamela

mumsy

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2010, 22:40 »
Hi Pamela
Have been away for a while!!!  Yes, a rat would take an egg, I have actually caught one in the process!!!  Also like Joy said if one breaks Mum takes care of it, had that happen too!!!!  ate it all, even the shell!!  she also ate the shells when the bubbas hatched!!!
Wish we had your weather here at the mo!!!  hope all is well with you

Mumsy xxxxxxx

Oliveview

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2010, 14:57 »
Another hen had squeezed her way into the box beside ´Mum¨ the other egg was broken, that is the egg the other hen had laid.  I went and checked- there is no sign now of any shell, except 1 bit on ´Mum¨s neck, so maybe she did eat the other egg, shell and alll.  She is still swearing at me :tongue2:
Pamela
ps  It is a bit cooler today- just 33 deg.  Due to go down to high 20´s by Tuesday...........I´ll be back in Essex then for 3 days (carer for my brother) hope it doesn´t rain, as I will have a lot of walking back and forth to do :wacko:
« Last Edit: August 14, 2010, 15:03 by oliveview »

xx
Broodys are so cute!

Started by Casey76 on Chicken Chat

2 Replies
Last post May 12, 2010, 10:33
by themagicaltoad1
xx
encouraging broodys

Started by massa on Chicken Chat

3 Replies
Last post June 15, 2011, 11:09
by hillfooter
xx
major broodys ...

Started by chickchook on Chicken Chat

6 Replies
Last post January 27, 2011, 18:24
by jinty1911
xx
I'm missing my chooks :(

Started by Casey76 on Chicken Chat

3 Replies
Last post May 30, 2011, 02:04
by Lindeggs

Page created in 0.129 seconds with 40 queries.