Jelly Bags

• 8 Replies

cheshirecheese

• Experienced Member
Jelly Bags
« on: January 09, 2011, 17:18 »
I want to make a jelly bag, but I'm not sure how big to make it!  I've bought a length of butter muslin (and got plenty as it's only £1.50 a metre), but think I may need to use a couple of thicknesses.  Can anyone give me some guidance?  Thanks!

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: Jelly Bags
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2011, 18:12 »
I'm no expert but I'd have thought that no bigger than 1m sq, depending on what you're going to suspend it from.  Don't know about whether you'd need a double thickness or not.

Just remember not to squeeze or stir at all once the fruit has been put into the bag to drip through, or it'll go cloudy.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

cheshirecheese

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2011, 12:24 »
Thanks to Yorkie for suggested dimensions for my jelly bag ... as I noticed there had been quite a few views of my original question, I thought I'd just report back as to what I'd done in case anyone else is interested: 

* I took a piece of butter muslin about 1 metre x half a metre and folded it over to make a square (I decided I needed a double thickness).
* I then folded the square in half to make a triangle.
* I sewed up the side without a fold to make a seam so that I was left with a cone-shaped bag.
*I then folded the top of the bag over a couple of centimetres and hemmed that to make a channel, leaving a gap at each end to thread a cord through so I can now hang it from a cupboard door over a bowl.

It was very easy, and because the fabric is cheap it means you can make a couple in different sizes for smaller or larger quantities.  Any left over fabric can be cut into small squares for use as bouquets garni in casseroles or for spice bags when you don't want to leave the spices in chutney or whatever after it's cooked.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2011, 12:48 »
Yours sound very well made :)
I just buy a metre and knot 2 nearest corners together on each side. Then hang the loops just made over 2 top cupboard door knobs to drip into a bowl on the worktop....very simple......but not as tidy :blush:

tosca100

• New start, new life in BG
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2011, 12:57 »
I'm afraid I took the easy route and bought one from Charlie's! :D

Trillium

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2011, 17:30 »
Sadly, I'm too lazy to bother with jelly bags. I simply bought a large, fine mesh strainer at our version of 99p stores and use that hung over my tallest bowl. Seems to work just fine and is reuseable.

catllar

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2011, 17:16 »
I made a muslin jelly bag but after a few crabble jelly drips it went a disgusing colour and as I can't get it back white it is history. But cheap enough to make another one.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2011, 17:19 »
I boil them, so they are germ free and don't care what colour they are  ;)

Kleftiwallah

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2011, 18:26 »
Find out what you have to hold the top open and how high you can suspend it then make the dimensions to suit,  If you cannot find one, use a wine straining bag
simples !! !  :D  Cheers,   Tony.
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

xx
Jelly bags

Started by Madame Cholet on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

5 Replies
Last post July 13, 2010, 21:17
by Madame Cholet
xx
jelly - help

Started by feera on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

2 Replies
Last post June 24, 2010, 11:56
by Beetroot queen
xx
Jelly thanks for advise

Started by Madame Cholet on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

0 Replies
Last post September 27, 2010, 22:36
by Madame Cholet
xx
Hedgerow Jelly

Started by scabs on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

0 Replies
Last post October 29, 2008, 14:02
by scabs

Page created in 0.126 seconds with 29 queries.