Automatic Pop Hole

• 5 Replies

Curlytop

Automatic Pop Hole
« on: August 07, 2010, 21:33 »
Hello Everybody

I wonder if I can pick your brains for some information regarding automatic pop holes. I am due to go on holiday on the 1st October and one of my neighbours has kindly agreed to look after my Girls, however I don't want to push my luck by asking them to open the pop hole at an unsociable hour in the morning so was thinking of fitting an automatic opener.

Can anyone recommend a good one for me?

Also do they just work on daylight, only where the coup is at the bottom of my garden it is fairly shaded and gets dark in that area quicker than the rest of the garden so I don't want it shutting them out to early or opening later than it should do?

Any advise would be of great help

Thank you  :)

raeburg

Re: Automatic Pop Hole
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2010, 21:53 »
Have a look at Wells Poultry or Flytes.  you can get them that have a timer as well as light sensor.  I've never bothered with one but have heard good reports, but it depends what sort of pop hole you've got.

Fisherman

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2010, 07:48 »
Check that you can adjust the sensitivity of your chosen pop hole opener so that you can adapt it to the light conditions of your coop in a shaded area. Best to get a timer as well so that it doesn't open up too early in summer. Also check your coop to ensure you have sufficient height for the door to slide upwards.

I also use a treadle feeder which holds 2 weeks worth of layer pellets for my 5 hens and an automatic drinker with a header tank. The drinker needs to be checked regularly in winter as they can freeze up.

All the equipment can be bought from Wells Poultry. A bit pricy but worth it for peace of mind.

Curlytop

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2010, 09:27 »
Thank you for your replies; I will have a look at Wells Poultry website. I do have plenty of room for the door to open vertically which it doesn't at the moment so I think a new door and some adjustments will need to be made.

I don't want to spend the whole holiday worrying about my Girls so it will be worth the spend.

Silkysmooth

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2010, 14:56 »
They are worth having for a variety of reasons!!

Although I see my girls everyday, I can come to the coop at convenient times to me (which also makes it suitable for other people who are looking after them while i'm away!).

I also find there is much less poo in the house as they are given maximum time in the run - much easier for cleaning! Just make sure you alter the light sensitivity as some naughty girls like to stay out later than others and can become trapped out.

Andy :)

Curlytop

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2010, 16:26 »
Thanks Andy
I will check them before bed anyway just incase one hasn't made it in time, I wouldn't be able to sleep if I hadn't done a head count. I think this will be a job of the OH next weekend  ;)

xx
Automatic Pop Hole Opener

Started by Slatz on The Hen House

65 Replies
Last post September 09, 2009, 12:55
by coco
xx
Automatic Pop Hole thingy

Started by Chookster on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post July 04, 2009, 18:19
by jo40
xx
automatic pop-hole opener

Started by lesleyann on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post February 02, 2011, 22:08
by lesleyann
xx
Automatic pop hole opener

Started by sprinter on The Hen House

23 Replies
Last post December 16, 2007, 16:41
by slowef

Page created in 0.217 seconds with 34 queries.