Asparagus growing in tyres

• 2 Replies

Library Girl

Asparagus growing in tyres
« on: December 06, 2010, 20:48 »
Hello,
I am hoping to grow asparagus next year and I was wondering if anyone had ever grown asparagus in tyres rather than in raised beds. I just have a few tyres lying around (don't ask!) and I was wondering if it would work-I have grown potatoes in tyres before and am thinking it would be the same principle.
Thanking you kindly.

L

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: Asparagus growing in tyres
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2010, 20:52 »
Creative thinking!

Asparagus crowns have quite wide roots so I would think that they might be a bit cramped in tyres.  Also you'd exhaust the nutrients in the compost more quickly than in the soil, and they are permanent planting - live for 20+ years in the ground once established.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Trillium

Re: Asparagus growing in tyres
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2010, 20:52 »
At one time it was believed tyres would leach out nasties into the soil, but experiments found it's not really true. However, potatoes are a one year crop, whereas asparagus is a 20yr or longer crop. So ask yourself if in that time you'd still want deteriorating tyres in your yard. Also, asparagus need big root areas and 2 plants max per tyre wouldn't yield much. they'd grow into soil in the interior bulges of the tyres and if you had to replace the tyres, you'd have a difficult time with the huge root systems.

xx
Growing potatoes in tyres

Started by GYO Girl on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post September 02, 2014, 13:44
by Kristen
xx
growing stuff in tyres

Started by TinaD on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post August 20, 2009, 14:00
by Babyshoes
question
Growing in tyres - does it work?

Started by Pip Judgeford on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post September 24, 2010, 14:24
by evie2
xx
Growing Potatoes in Tyres?

Started by Cabbage Patch on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post August 25, 2010, 22:26
by SUTTY1

Page created in 0.393 seconds with 39 queries.