Growing in tyres - does it work?

• 18 Replies

Pip Judgeford

Growing in tyres - does it work?
« on: September 21, 2010, 23:37 »
I'm unsure about whether growing vegetables in tyres really works.  I'm after some advice about if it works sometimes or for some vegetables. I have 15 tyres and any tyre shop in NZ will deliver a truckload for free if you just ask.  I'd like to be using recycled materials but only if they work.

So far I have
  • a friend who grew spuds in tyres and they can out smaller than the wee seed potatoes she put in, but there was a confession that they didnt get watered much
:(
  • my own trial last year of growing kumara (sweet potato) where I watered at critical points (but not a lot), and got a good crop.  :D Kumara are pretty marginal for Wellington so I thought the warmth attracted by the stacks of tyres (3 high) would be helpful

And then there's the "do tyres leach anything into the soil and thus my food" question.  I really appreciate any wisdom or hints you can give me on this.

=Pip

SUTTY1

• Pumpkin Champion 2010 / Super Winner of the Tallest Sunflower Competition 2011
  • Experienced Member
Re: Growing in tyres - does it work?
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2010, 19:26 »
I've known people grow spuds with good success but plenty off watering needed.
As for leaching, i watched a TV documentary 2 yrs ago when they dumped used tyres strapped together into the sea to supply a structure for a coral reef. it grew well. As we hear coral reefs are very susceptible to pollution i'd have thought no problem growing your veg in tyres

Goldfinger

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2010, 20:36 »

Now theres an idea.......

Potatos in tyres, (kind of towers).... Every time you need to earth up, just add a tyre then fill that!!

BRILLIANT!!!  :D :D :D

P.S. How high could you get though before the potato gets tired of growing upover??  (no pun intended)  ;)

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2010, 20:40 »
I wouldn't have thought you'd want to go much higher than 3, probably
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Elcie

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2010, 21:27 »
I grow herbs successfully in tyres.  I went through a phase of picking them up when I saw them at the roadside.  Haven't seen one for a while come to think of it.

RsT

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2010, 21:46 »
Think I shall give it a try next year, neighbour has some in their garden that they dont know how to get rid of. Shall take them off their hands and experiment.

solway cropper

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2010, 22:00 »
I grow strawberries in tyres as it helps keep them off the soil and also potatoes which gave a good crop. The stuff about toxins leaching is over exaggerated. You'd get more toxins inside you by spending half an hour in a city centre than you'd get from eating veg. grown in tyres.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2010, 10:02 »
Just wondering whether lining the cavity inside the tyres with heavy duty black plastic or similar would solve the potential contamination problem. Would have to be left open at the bottom for drainage of course.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

evie2

« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2010, 11:13 »
A friends son uses tyres for his tatties with great success and the use them at school too :D
May this day be blessed with gifts, understanding and friends.  Merlin 2001-2012 Pandora 2001-2013 xxx

1jim

« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2010, 17:25 »
I read a tip of filling the inside ridge of the tyre with straw to reduce the amount of compost that you need to fill these up, will be trying this next year

Swing Swang

« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2010, 18:06 »
As you'll probably be taking someone's junk they should pay you to take the tyres and not just give them away free.

If NZ is similar to the UK they will have avoided paying your equivalent of landfill tax.

You then need to consider what happens when you decide to get rid of the tyres - my guess is that you'll have to pay and you won't be able to put them into the domestic rubbish one at a time (well, not legally at anyrate).

I think that there's something to be said for using what you've got , but unlike scrap wood/pallets etc that is no longer required it won't rot down over time and cannot be burned (?!).

SS

madcat

« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2010, 18:13 »
I grow herbs and spring onions and salad leaves in lorry tyres.  They do great - maybe a bit more watering needed but that is at least partly because the black rubber warms the soil and encourages growth, even in a shady spot.
All we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about (Charles Kingsley)

RichardA

« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2010, 19:37 »
If you get the tyres for nothing does that suggest that at some stage if you want to get rid of the heaps of tyres it will cost you an arm a leg in dumping fees ??????????
R

evie2

« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2010, 20:32 »
I thought old tyres were shredded and used in soft play areas ???

Pip Judgeford

« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2010, 08:47 »
Wow, thanks for the ideas guys!  I feel heaps better about the contamination thing so thanks for some feedback on that too.   :D :DYes you do have a point about what do I do with the tyres when I am tired of this game.  But I have a few more years experimentation yet... peanuts would be way cool! ;)

One thing I forgot to mention is that tyres can get claggy soil inside the lower rim, as water can accumulate there.  Maybe it would give a water reservoir to overheated tyre stacks?  I asked a friend with a core drill to drill me out 6 1 inch holes on one side of each tyre,  which became the lower rim of each tyre in the stack.  Seemed to work OK.  Cost me a jar of chutney but hey I do love that "green dollars" approach.

Any other ideas for crops that work or dont work?

thanx,  Pip

xx
Rhubarb in tyres? Would this work?

Started by Kiwifi on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 23, 2018, 14:54
by hasbeans
xx
Growing Potatoes in Tyres?

Started by Cabbage Patch on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post August 25, 2010, 22:26
by SUTTY1
xx
Growing potatoes in tyres

Started by GYO Girl on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post September 02, 2014, 13:44
by Kristen
xx
Growing Squash in car tyres

Started by Oscar the dog on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post May 14, 2014, 22:00
by solway cropper

Page created in 0.342 seconds with 38 queries.