Growing potatoes in tyres

• 9 Replies

GYO Girl

• Experienced Member
Growing potatoes in tyres
« on: September 01, 2014, 12:47 »
On his Radio 2 show this morning Chris Evans was talking about growing potatoes in car tyres, which I thought sounded a really good idea.  Does anyone do this, and if so, where do you get the tyres from?  Was wondering whether the local garages would give away used tyres for free?

Chris also said that if you plant the seed potatoes now, you would have a crop ready for Christmas dinner, is he right?
No matter how many plants I have in my garden, I can always find room for one more.

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
Re: Growing potatoes in tyres
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2014, 12:52 »
Was wondering whether the local garages would give away used tyres for free?

Probably - they have to pay to have them taken away.

Chris also said that if you plant the seed potatoes now, you would have a crop ready for Shhh... dinner, is he right?

When I have grown New Potatoes for Crimbles I have always planted in 1st week of August, and in Bags that came into the greenhouse as the temperature started to drop.  Either way they will die down long before Chrimbles itself, so they are left in-situ to be harvested "fresh", but if they are outside they need enough sun to build the plants up, and I think starting now may be a tad late?

I'm curious as to what the point is of using the tyre? compared to a bag, or just earthing them up?

GYO Girl

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2014, 14:00 »
Ooops, did I mention an unmentionable word?  Sorry!  :blush:

The idea behind using tyres appears to be that you gradually form a stack, adding another tyre as the shoots appear and gradually earthing up. I am not particularly good at getting them all out of the ground and am sick of them popping up all over the plot, so it sounds like a good idea to me - although I am also considering bags for next year.

Sounds like its too late for this year, but I may pop in to the garage down the road and see if I can bag a few freebies.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2014, 14:05 »

There's an in-forum joke that mentioning this particular festival shall not happen before 1 December  :D

So the forum will auto-correct most norty attempts to circumvent this by posters  ;) 8) :lol:
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Nobbie

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2014, 16:26 »

The idea behind using tyres appears to be that you gradually form a stack, adding another tyre as the shoots appear and gradually earthing up. I am not particularly good at getting them all out of the ground and am sick of them popping up all over the plot, so it sounds like a good idea to me - although I am also considering bags for next year.

Sounds like its too late for this year, but I may pop in to the garage down the road and see if I can bag a few freebies.

Just remember that if you don't get on with using the tyres (they take up a lot of space) you'll have to dispose of them and most council tips won't accept more than a couple.

rubberfrog

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2014, 08:45 »
Check that you are allowed to have tires on your plot.  We are not allowed them.  If you are looking for height use and old compost bag.  Tires have an awful air gap to fill which seems a waste.

RF  :)
« Last Edit: September 02, 2014, 08:46 by rubberfrog »

nipper31

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2014, 11:12 »
I've been given four Maris Piper seed potatoes, I was hoping to grow in bags in a cold frame. Is it too late to plant them in time for a Crimbles harvest?

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2014, 11:43 »
I've been given four Maris Piper seed potatoes, I was hoping to grow in bags in a cold frame. Is it too late to plant them in time for a Crimbles harvest?

I think so, beginning of August is the latest I would plant for autumn growing.

If they are recently harvested?? [rather than cold-stored / conditioned for Autumn growing] they will have a period of dormancy before they will regrow

nipper31

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2014, 12:39 »
I'm tempted to give them a try even so, because the advice on here says I might not be too late so long as I plant them this week:

http://www.allotment-garden.org/vegetable/second-crop-potatoes.php

The seed potatoes were free anyway, so I'm gonna chuck 'em in and see what happens!

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2014, 13:44 »
I'm tempted to give them a try even so, because the advice on here says I might not be too late so long as I plant them this week:

http://www.allotment-garden.org/vegetable/second-crop-potatoes.php

I doubt John's advice is wrong.  I'll be interested to hear how it goes, please :)

xx
Growing Potatoes in Tyres?

Started by Cabbage Patch on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post August 25, 2010, 22:26
by SUTTY1
xx
growing potatoes in car tyres or boxes

Started by ilan on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post January 22, 2012, 13:40
by Vit
xx
Potatoes in Tyres

Started by hazlet on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post April 18, 2007, 23:40
by leeky
xx
Growing Squash in car tyres

Started by Oscar the dog on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post May 14, 2014, 22:00
by solway cropper

Page created in 0.353 seconds with 34 queries.