what can i do with sample

• 11 Replies

neil1967

what can i do with sample
« on: March 08, 2010, 22:03 »
I have taken a sample out of my very 1st brew to test with hydrometer but would like to know if i can put the sample back into the fermenter or do i have to throw it away.

All my sample equipment was steralised.

thanks in advance

Neil

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Re: what can i do with sample
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2010, 22:05 »
Taste test!    :lol: :lol: :lol:

neil1967

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2010, 22:13 »
Thanks for the quick reply

I was debating that  :D

Smells great and (if you know the hydrometer settings) it's just on the border of the thick black line and the yellow. I make that 1.006 so if i've got all my calculations right it's going to be 5.3% not bad for 1st attempt.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2010, 22:54 »
That's good Neil.  I've been making wine on and off for years, but can never be bothered with measuring things.

taste test for me all the time!  hic, hic! 

If it helps me sleep, I'm happy!! :D :D

johnnyboy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2010, 09:34 »
I hope you dont mind me making a few observations.

1, Leave your hyrdometer in the wort when brewing, then you dont have to keep taking out beer to measure gravity.
2, If this is a kit beer then Im quite surprised that it has gone down to 1.006. Kits are designed to go to 1.010. The 0.010 is the unfermentable sugars, this is what gives your beer the sweetness. If your is 1.060 then you will have quite a dry drink (there is nothing wrong with this that a splash of lemonade wont cure)

What kit was it ?
What sugar did you use?

HTH Johnnyboy
Confucuos said... "Youve spelt my name wrong"

HugglescoteGrower

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2010, 15:42 »
Quite a few of my recipes will go down to 1.006, mostly light summer beers which start at around 1.036 - though i tend to prefer beers that finish at - 1.010 and above. That really is finished, as in how they come out of the barrel. They often drop a touch further between the fermenter and the glass.

I'm not in favour of leaving the Hydrometer in the beer myself, maybe it's just because I lose the excuse to draw a small glassful out every other day to see how it is progressing.

regardless of how well sterilised your equipment is, never return samples to the fermenter. Even in the act of drawing the sample and testing it they can attract wild yeast spores from the air which could (albeit unlikely) spoil a whole batch.
I hoe, I hoe, it's off to weed I go.

nobby90

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2010, 17:11 »
Most yeast attenuate between 70 and 80% so a 1.050 starting Gravity should finish around 1.015 and 1.010.  But I would prefure them to finish around 1.015 to give the beer some body.  My current favourite yeast is Whitelabs WLP005 which give great body and flavour.

Neil1067 are you reading your Hydrometer correctly?? because 1.006 for a 5.3% beer is very very low.  Take a look at the link on how to read your Hydrometer

http://www.stevenson-reeves.co.uk/howto.htm

ciderman

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2010, 22:25 »
hi neil iv been brewing on and of 4 20 years mainly cider i allways tast then put back what i dont drink never had a bad cider but tast cumes with time . my cherry wine tasted  dodo 2 me but the wife said it was the best ever so go with your own taste

neil1967

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2010, 00:32 »
Thanks for the continued replies.

Nobby90 -  yes reading it the correct way but i have realised that my starting 1.000 sits 1 notch above the bold black line that goes right around the hydrometer (read this part wrong) so in fact it's only 1.008. still o.k though I should still fall down after a few  :D

Johnnyboy - kit was  called pilsen barr lager. from hamstead homebrew centre in Great Barr  near Walsall. It is a 2 tin kit so no sugar until primer added at barrelling. Not too sure about leaving hydrometer in the wort as i wouldn't be able to take the reading from a level point of view only from a diagonal.

As this is my 1st attempt I've read, read and read again then posted a question or 2 to get an experienced answer/view.

I'm not expecting it to be top notch quality as i'm still very new to it all but I know I will enjoy the fact I'm drinking something that I've brewed myself.

Thanks again for the replies, they have all been helpful.

johnnyboy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2010, 07:03 »
Whilst I always recommend using a hydrometer, dont get too worked up about the readings.
If your OG is 1.040 and your FG is 1.008 = 4.35%abv
If your OG is 1.040 and your FG is 1.006 = 4.62 %abv
Theres not much difference.

I use a hydrometer to check that fermentation hasnt stuck.

To work out the ABV.
OG minus FG divided by 7.36 = ABV

JMHO....lager kits arent very good at replicating commercial lagers. This is down to the methods used in "lagering" a beer. Whilst your kit will be more than drinkable dont expect an authentic "pilsner" brew. If you can bottle this brew then I would bottle it. Bottles are easier to chill than a whole keg.
If you prefer lagers to ales then there are a lot of high quality "light ale" kits on the market (Muntons Midas Touch Golden Ale....A quality drink, well worth the extra money).

HTH Johnnyboy

HugglescoteGrower

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2010, 11:21 »
Lager traditionally uses a different type of yeast to Ale, one which is designed to ferment in a different way and should be feremented cold - usually between 2 and 4 degrees c ("lagering is the process of cold fermenting), at which temperature an ale yeast would be virtually dormant. What most kit manufacturers do is provide a lager style recipe but a modified type of ale yeast so you can brew at normal room temperature. That is why the beer you brew will be slightly different to commercial lagers.

If you do plan to brew lagers regulalry the best trick is to get hold of an old fridge big enough to take your fermenter and use that to ferment in, replacing the ale yeast with a true lager yeast. You will notice the more authemtic taste in the finished brew.

nobby90

« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2010, 21:08 »
Lager traditionally uses a different type of yeast to Ale, one which is designed to ferment in a different way and should be feremented cold - usually between 2 and 4 degrees c ("lagering is the process of cold blooming), at which temperature an ale yeast would be virtually dormant. What most kit manufacturers do is provide a lager style recipe but a modified type of ale yeast so you can brew at normal room temperature. That is why the beer you brew will be slightly different to commercial lagers.

If you do plan to brew lagers regulalry the best trick is to get hold of an old fridge big enough to take your fermenter and use that to ferment in, replacing the ale yeast with a true lager yeast. You will notice the more authemtic taste in the finished brew.

Most Larger Yeast need to be fermented at 10-15c.  You getting mixed up with Largering which is after fermentation and needs to be done as low as possible.  However I doubt that kit Lager has Proper yeasts and will ferment at room temp.

Page created in 0.133 seconds with 39 queries.