Tomatoes - how do you do yours?

• 11 Replies

Jo Loves Veg

Tomatoes - how do you do yours?
« on: March 04, 2013, 12:50 »
I'm about to do the big sowing of my toms. I'm excited as I have 3 varieties, 1 (possibly 2) are heritage varieties. I am wondering whether to sow in the small seed plug trays and then transplant into pots in a few weeks, or do them again in half-height loo rolls, with the idea of planting them straight out. can I avoid having to plant them in pots later before planting out on the allotment?

ps while we're here chatting about toms, can I also ask: I did a small sowing a couple of weeks ago (in half-height loo rolls). I put 2 seeds in each one, and most of them have come up -so I have 2 wee seedlings per pot. Is it possible to keep both?

Daamoot

• Experienced Member
Re: Tomatoes - how do you do yours?
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2013, 13:07 »
I sowed my tomatoes in a 24 cell progagator, one per cell, then will transfer to small pots once the first real leaves appear then pot on again to final pot/ground once they have outgrown the small pots.  I planted a single chilli plant last month straight to a small pot (covered with a clear plastic bag to act as a propagator) and its doing well so I can't see any problems with sowing to a small pot then potting on to its final residence from there, missing out the seed tray step.

I'd avoid having two per pot because they grow to such a large size.  You'd be better seperating them when you pot them on then you could always plant two in a large pot, leaving plenty space between them.
Add me on PSN but nowadays I reach for the fork or hoe more than a controller

BabbyAnn

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2013, 13:33 »
One of the reasons for potting on, is that tomato plants will exhaust the compost they were growing in as well as allows the roots to grow freely, so a loo roll is not sufficient to keep a plant going until it is time to plant out.

As for where to sow them - tomato seedlings are remarkably hardy and can withstand a little manhandling so long as you are gentle about it and tease them out.  Sown freely in a seed tray and then prick out into individual pots is one way.  I start mine off in a seed tray with inserts with 2 seeds per module and then I can either repot them both or dispose of the weaker seedling.  I don't think I'd bother with toilet rolls.  Individual seed plugs are fine for sowing, but the seedlings must be planted on into pots once they start getting bigger  :)

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2013, 13:37 »
Hi Jo, I usually sow my tomato seeds in individual 3" pots.  I have loads which I bought years ago at auction.  They stay there until they go into the polytunnel and greenhouse.

This year I have started a few off in propagator on kitchen windowsill.  they are growing well and now top is off propagator.  Wasn't sure if they will be okay as Feb is earlier than I usually do them, but no worries if they die.  I still have lots of seeds!

The will go for a while into my bubble wrapped greenhouse which doesn't get as cold as the other one at night.

Don't think I'll do any outside this year.  Grew too many last year I think.  Still got loads in the freezer!

spottymint

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2013, 13:58 »
Grown tom's outside the last 2 years, had no luck what so ever.

Haven't started mine yet, I always sow in March.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2013, 14:18 »
I sow them singly into modules- it's rare for them not to germinate, so I only grow a couple of spares just in case.  ;)

Then when they get quite big I post them on - until they finally get planted :)

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2013, 14:31 »
I seem to now be in the habit of growing 2 of each chosen variety, so I sow 4 seeds of each evenly spaced into 3" pots in mid-March, subsequently separating the plants and potting on individually (discarding the weaker seedlings if appropriate.)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

gremlin

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2013, 18:45 »
I need 8 plants.  Generally 2 plants of 4 types.

I sow half a dozen of each type in a 3" plant pot.  Into a plastic bag and into the airing cupboard.  Then prick out the best three examples of each type into their own individual 3" pot.

Tomatoes are the only seeds I prick out.  I have found that messing around with modules only means you have have to pot them on, and I cant get a tray of modules into the airing cupboard without evicting my socks  :D
Sometimes my plants grow despite, not because of, what I do to them.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2013, 18:54 »
Do mine in trays and prick out. Pot the lot on!
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Jo Loves Veg

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2013, 21:14 »
really helpful, thank you

angelavdavis

• Winner - Prettiest Pumpkin 2012
  • An allotment glutton!
    • The Allotment Glutton
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2013, 21:18 »
Grew too many last year I think.  Still got loads in the freezer!

I so wish I was in the same boat!  It was a sad day in our house when the last few were given to the chickens in October!  Not big enough to freeze or do anything with sadly.
Read about my allotment exploits at Ecodolly at plots 37 & 39.  Questions, queries and comments are appreciated at Comment on Ecodolly's exploits on plots 37 & 39

Totty

« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2013, 22:13 »
I sow into small modules, 1 in each if they are f1s, a couple per cell if standard seed, thin to strongest. I transplant when the seed leaves are around an inch across into three inch pots with the seed leaves touching the compost. Will pot on again into 5 inch pots as deeply as poss as deeper planting encourages the stem to root which means more nutrient uptake and stockier sturdier better yielding plants than if sown straight into a large pot and left till planting out.

Totty

xx
Tomatoes

Started by flopsy on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post February 20, 2015, 10:52
by AnneB
xx
Bl***dy tomatoes

Started by ytyynycefn on Grow Your Own

24 Replies
Last post September 16, 2006, 21:34
by ytyynycefn
xx
tomatoes

Started by alancas on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post August 06, 2011, 14:30
by arugula
xx
tomatoes

Started by dugless on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post July 30, 2012, 19:42
by dugless

Page created in 0.318 seconds with 40 queries.