Poorly Ex-Bat

• 2 Replies

R Fox

Poorly Ex-Bat
« on: March 07, 2009, 10:07 »
Hi All

In early Jan one of my hens died fairly suddenly - i had 4 ex-bats.  Since then the three remaining have flourished and all been feisty things.  This morning one of them was really quiet when i went to let them out.  They have a large enclosure, which she came out into and started drinking rain water.  So I bought the water out for her, which she drank lots of.  Since then she has been stood in same place, with her feathers all puffed up.  Her eyes have been going a bit droopy - she is standing up though, not sitting down.
I'm not really sure what I should do with her - for now i have just left her be, as the other two hens aren't bothering her.  Should i put her inside?  Is she going to die like the other one did?

Any help really appreciated.
Rosie x

Vember

Re: Poorly Ex-Bat
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2009, 10:41 »
Hi Rosie

Sorry to hear your girls not well :(

Have you been able to have a feel at her crop? To make sure it isn't impacted or sour crop.
If she's not eaten then it should feel empty.
Have you noticed any funny poops?

Has she laid recently?

Sarah :)

Julie in Somerset

Re: Poorly Ex-Bat
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2009, 11:54 »
I am in a similar situation to you. I got 4 ex batts last Sept, one died in Jan and since then two others have been like yours. One I took to the vet who gave her calcium and a stimulant injection but she didn't lay anything. She's since been on Baytril, has gone into a moult and seems well in herself but hasn't started laying again yet. The other one is also quiet but in spells. I've had her on Baytril for 2 days, will try for another 3 days and see what happens.

My local vet is happy to sell me Baytril but is unable to help with diagnosis and the stress and cost of a visit when they don't know whats wrong is too much for the hen and us. In future I will try Baytril and other remedies and treatments from this site and let nature takes it's course.

I fed mine to many treats, high calories, low nutrician stuff like bread, pizza, cake etc so have cut right down on that and have bought some of the new Ex Batt formula feed. I only feed fruit veg and a very small amount of the other stuff now and very late in the day.

I hope your hen is better soon.

xx
poorly poorly hen advice please

Started by feelingbroody on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post August 10, 2011, 18:22
by feelingbroody
xx
Another poorly hen

Started by alexroyall85 on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post May 26, 2018, 16:55
by New shoot
xx
Poorly Boy

Started by Caralou on The Hen House

14 Replies
Last post July 23, 2010, 16:51
by Caralou
xx
poorly hen

Started by bluecharlie on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post September 26, 2012, 18:20
by bluecharlie

Page created in 0.198 seconds with 34 queries.