beetroot

• 11 Replies

newseed

beetroot
« on: June 09, 2008, 14:39 »
I planted my beetroot in early March and the leaves are looking big and strong so I thought after 3 months I might have at least a baby beetroot but having just up rooted a plant there is nothing there :cry: the carrots are the same :cry: so all looks good above ground but nothing is happening below :? Any ideas where I went wrong or am I expecting to much to soon?

Arls0308

beetroot
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2008, 15:12 »
Hi,

I'm sorry I'm not answering your question Newseed, but adding one of my own. I planted my beetroot at the end of March in stations of 3 and the foliage is now about 4-6 inches high. Should I pick the other 2 seedlings out now, or wait till they're a bit bigger. Also, do the seedlings transplant well if I wanted to put them somewhere else?

Cheers,
Arls
Arls (Allotmenteer since March 08!)

"Earth is here so kind, that just tickle her with a hoe and she laughs with a harvest." Douglas William Jerrold

God made rainy days so gardeners could get the housework done

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
beetroot
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2008, 15:39 »
I'd give them a little longer to fill out, you'll see the young beet just above the soil surface, so you'll know if they're there or not.

As for the others, this is a personal thing, I would thin them out, but at that size, I doubt if the thinnings would transplant as they will have suffered a lot of root disturbance.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

VickyR

beetroot
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2008, 16:33 »
Hi

I had a similar problem last year - seems that the beets like a nice rich soil so plenty of manure and compost in Autumn seems to have worked better this time. But, they do say the smaller ones taste the best!   :lol:

newseed

beetroot
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2008, 22:12 »
Thanks everyone, I'll just wait a little longer and keep everything crossed.
I have noticed tonight that some of my tomato leaves are starting to curl up but I can't see any bugs on them.  I'll have a search on the forum tomorrow to see if anyone has any tomato growing advice. :)

noshed

beetroot
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2008, 22:22 »
Young beetroot leaves are nice in salad so you can eat the thinnings.
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

sharky

• Experienced Member
beetroot
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2008, 22:22 »
My beets have got the same problem, I thought  they might bulb up the same time as my so far non-productive onions, but I am worried now....  :(

newseed

beetroot
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2008, 22:30 »
You and me both! I didn't mention my onions had no bulbs.  I did have a courgette (yes just the one) but some little creature has already eaten it. :x  Who said this grow your own was easy.  :roll:

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
beetroot
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2008, 22:40 »
Quote from: "newseed"
I have noticed tonight that some of my tomato leaves are starting to curl up but I can't see any bugs on them.  I'll have a search on the forum tomorrow to see if anyone has any tomato growing advice. :)

Tomato leaf curl is quite common & nothing to worry about unless accompanied by other symptoms.

gobs

beetroot
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2008, 08:00 »
Is it summer or winter onions we are talking about? I should think there is plenty of time for the first yet, same for beetroot.
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

Gardeningguru

Re: beetroot
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2008, 10:40 »
I planted my beetroot in early March and the leaves are looking big and strong so I thought after 3 months I might have at least a baby beetroot but having just up rooted a plant there is nothing there :cry: the carrots are the same :cry: so all looks good above ground but nothing is happening below :? Any ideas where I went wrong or am I expecting to much to soon?

Beetroot can be transplanted,  I started mine off indoors very early in January and then planted the two inch seedlings into containers.  (an they dont have to be too deep, since beetroot is a surface rooter).
In contrast to carrots, unless you want corkscrews!  

In spring at the allotment,  I sowed them straight into the ground and thinned down accordingly.  The container ones are ready now but im not expecting anything from the lotty for a few extra weeks at least.

I understand that if you over water them, you will get excess vigorous leafy tops, and less bulb.  I would say in your case, I would just wait more time and the bulbs will form, and you will see them no need to keep ripping them out  :)

By the way, the leaves from young beetroot are delicious in salads, so I let the (destined to be) thinnings grow on a fair bit where possible, before pulling them.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
beetroot
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2008, 10:54 »
Quote from: "DD."

Tomato leaf curl is quite common & nothing to worry about unless accompanied by other symptoms.

They'll probably grow out of it after a while too and produce normal leaves again.

xx
Beetroot

Started by Anton on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 28, 2007, 22:40
by Anton
xx
beetroot

Started by scotty on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post March 11, 2009, 12:38
by Celtic Eagle
xx
beetroot

Started by dmg on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post January 31, 2013, 16:05
by dmg
xx
Beetroot

Started by mdjlucan on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post March 13, 2018, 02:35
by Dev

Page created in 0.469 seconds with 38 queries.