My first allotment!

• 51 Replies

littlemisssunshine

My first allotment!
« on: October 29, 2007, 09:58 »
I just thought I'd say hello, I finally got hold my own allotment last week.  It has its own greenhouse and shed.  Unfortunately it has not been cultivated for many years therefore is thick with Bindweed and other delights.

At the moment I am digging, digging, digging.

Does anyone have any good advice for a first time allotment holder?

:D

gobs

My first allotment!
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2007, 10:03 »
Hello LMS,

and congrat on your lottie. Our Munty wrote a very good piece for beginners and how to start, I would read that sticky, if I were you. :)

Good luck and keep us posted. :wink:

I just cannot find it now :?  Someone will sure let you know, where it is. :)
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

littlemisssunshine

My first allotment!
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2007, 11:21 »
Thank you - I am still getting to grips with this site.

I have spent time chatting to the other allotment holders.  Apparantly clubroot can be a problem.

I never thought I'd get so much pleasure from donated pallets.  I am going to try to make a compost bin tonight.  Hopefully I will have enough left to make a leaf mould box.

Does anyone have any suggestions about important structures I need to make my life easier?

Celtic Eagle

• The Eagle's Nest
My first allotment!
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2007, 12:33 »
Hiya LMS welcome to the forum

Yep agreed you need a leaf mould bin I have used wire mesh rather than pallets as the mechanism for leaf decomposition is different and work better in that type of bin. 4 posts about 4 ft long hammer them about a foot  into the ground to form a square with each side about 30 inches long  Now some wire mesh start at one post and staple it to the post doesn't matter if it's not to the top stretch to the next post and staple again  so on till the wire mesh is stapled to all 4 post . Now a loose bit of wood about 3 foot long Hold this against the first post and staple the wire to it this make a gate to get into the bin Put a second piece of wire up to the top of the posts the same way and you have a leaf bin Couple of large nails to hook the gate over job done.

Other main thing water butts basically anything you can get hold of that will hold water, the bigger the better.  Set 'em up behind the shed and direct the water from the gutter into them. If you have more butts tahn rof build a small structure with just a roof over them and collect the water off that.

Sound s a lot of work but well worth it Good Luck
Blessed Be
Celtic Eagle

Everything grows green for a Celt

Mostly organic 'cept weedkiller and slugs

littlemisssunshine

My first allotment!
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2007, 14:07 »
That's great, thank you.  I was given a free water butt as part of the eco-village project where I live.  I have already hooked this up to my newly re-roofed shed.

I am going to search the hedgerows for old butts as many of the allotments have been abandoned.

I have plenty of chicken wire and post and will use your method Celtic Eagle.

I have never ever had so much satisfaction from finding things and being inventive.  I cannot believe how much I have thrown away and wasted over the years!

Thanks a million

LMS

P.S. I am having a digging party - free beer, any takers??!  :D

tallulah

My first allotment!
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2007, 11:06 »
I would suggest NOT using a rotivator.  It will chop up all the worst perennial weed roots into small pieces, which will then cover your allotment in even more weeds  - I know, through bitter experience.  The only way is dig, dig, dig!  Which is what you're doing by the sounds of it.  Good luck, and welcome from me - I'm new here too!

littlemisssunshine

My first allotment!
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2007, 12:09 »
The rotivator is definately out! Thanks for the advice Tallulah.

I am just going to have to be patient and do a bit at a time - I just wish I didn't have to go to work!

What are you growing first T?

tallulah

My first allotment!
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2007, 12:18 »
Well I got the plot in time to put in potatoes, garlic, and soft fruit.  The potatoes rotted in the ground, as did the garlic, but the raspberries were grand, and the strawbs not bad either, despite being newly planted.  The constant rain I guess was the cause of the rotting.  Also, I didn't enrich the soil enough, and just stuck things in.  I do however have a marvellous crop of brambles.  I now have my trusty fork at the ready, plus heaps of v well rotted manure.  Unfortunately have just done me back in heaving heavy pots from the patio into the conservatory.   Idiot!  Should've waited for the hulk to come back from work.  now I'm nursing my back and consoling myself with gardening books and this site!

I know what you mean about work.  I recently switched from full time to part time - its a blessing, it really is.  I love it!  I still resent going in tho!

sweet nasturtium

My first allotment!
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2007, 12:40 »
Congratulations Sunshine!  
I'm in my first year at my plot and it was a whole new world to me.  I am concerned about your digging party though - make sure they can identify weeds and will actually remove them or they could make things worse for you.  I don't want to put you off, just speaking from my experience.  But do read the Information section and the Stickys on the Welcome page.  
Are you completely new to this too?

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
My first allotment!
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2007, 12:42 »
Being the ever anarchist and rebel I will ever so slighlty disagree with the rotovator remark, this is a great system and will clear the plot, but and there is a big but, you need to do it over time and regular so in other words you need to either have or be able to have access to one. The idea is as soon the plant/weed start to grow you knock them back, yes you will chop the roots to small pieces but that means they have less stored energy so they will exhaust. It does work and I know Shaun will back me up on this, I used this method for the first time this year and have made major inroads into the problem weeds, I must say that I also fork through every so often to get to the deeper roots.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

durham_lass

My first allotment!
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2007, 15:29 »
Congratulations Sunshine.  I just got my first allotment last week.   Like yours it is very overgrown.   I have one bed which was ready for planting thanks to my neighbour.  He had covered it with polythene to protect his polytunnel from weeds :)   Today I double dug it and planted some red onions.   I am waiting on some garlic arriving and hope to get that planted soon too.  After that it will be just a matter of clearing the rest of the plot of weeds ready for spring.   I also inherited a small home built shed made from wood and perspex, just big enough to grow tomatoes in.   That too, however, is filled with nettles and weeds.
Linda

Calou

• Experienced Member
My first allotment!
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2007, 18:12 »
Congratulations SUNSHINE and LASS, I'm sure you'll have hours of enjoyment from your new plots!
Calou
Reasonably organic but totally realistic

littlemisssunshine

My first allotment!
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2007, 18:18 »
Wow, it is wonderful to hear so many people are getting stuck in.  Funnily enough I have had no takers for my digging party so I am left alone, slowly getting to grips with my weeds.

My shed is in good nick, an old chicken shed that I have cleaned out and refelted.  My greenhouse is marvelous, on a concrete base (the only one to survive undamaged after the high winds in 2005).  There is even spare glass.

Nast - I am new to having my own plot but my father has always had an allotment.  He is on hand to give me advice but is nearly 70 so I have to keep stopping trying to dig for me (he still thinks he's 21!).

I am also Sky+ a series called the 'big dig', all about allotment holders in London and Wales.  It is excellent.

sweet nasturtium

My first allotment!
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2007, 18:51 »
Sounds like you're really lucky, got a really good opportunity what with a greenhouse and all.  I could have really done with one this year as it was so dull and wet, it woulde have made the growing season last and avoided all those tennis ball sized pumpkins.

My Dad was also a keen gardener and it's helpful to have someone on hand to ask for advice. My problem was that I didn't have enough experience to recognise what was a weed and what was a plant!

Another tip - don't walk on the plot too much - we did that (children particularly enjoyed it) and regretted it when in April (was it?) we had a really dry spell and it was all trodden down.

sawnee

• Experienced Member
My first allotment!
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2007, 19:43 »
Hi Littlemisssunshine :D
Good luck with the new plot, :wink:
Little and often, dont do yourself a nasty :(
Totally agree with THE BIG DIG, great series, just a shame there are not more like it.
Sounds like your digging party is like mine (a party of one) :roll:
Dont let it get to you, it has taken me 7 months but have almost reached the end, only another 10 feet to go  :D
"You must cut down the mightiest Oak of the forest,with a ......... Herring!"
(Holy Grail)

xx
New allotment

Started by mdjlucan on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post September 01, 2015, 17:47
by cadalot
xx
Got my allotment !!! :D

Started by Chappers on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post January 27, 2009, 03:45
by Chappers
xx
New allotment

Started by attia of the julii on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post May 25, 2008, 20:42
by wotisname
xx
new allotment

Started by bonjives on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post May 20, 2007, 09:57
by grunt&groan

Page created in 0.346 seconds with 35 queries.