over gown courgettes

• 6 Replies

hermon

over gown courgettes
« on: August 09, 2006, 11:24 »
2 questions:

1) are very large courgettes marrows are they the same plant? how can you get marrow seeds and courgette seed seperatley???

2) when i miss a courgette then find it later as a "marrow" can i dry out the seed for next year? :lol:

mellowmick

• Experienced Member
over gown courgettes
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2006, 11:44 »
On point one: They are incredibly similar, but a proper marrow has the dark and light mottled banding, which courgettes don't. I can't really tell from the plants which is marrow, courgette or squash. Flowers look pretty much the same too.
As far as the seeds are concerned; I'm a first year, so have no idea :!:

Oliver

Collecting seeds
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2006, 12:55 »
Quote from: "hermon"
2) when i miss a courgette then find it later as a "marrow" can i dry out the seed for next year? :lol:

The answer is yes, BUT see the earlier posting about Saving our own seed and F1 hybrids. (Use the search facility of you can't see the post on Grow your own).

Marrow and Courgettes are often F1s so if you still have the original packet and it says, for example, Tosca, F1. if you  save the seed you will get a courgette, but how it will perform and what it will look like is anybody's guess!

Saving seed is great fun! O :)
Keep the plot cultivated, that's the best way to ensure its future.

milkman

over gown courgettes
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2006, 18:18 »
Because marrows and courgettes and squashes and pumpkins are insect pollinated they cross pollinate very easily whether they are F1 varieties or not, so if you save the seed you will never be sure of what you might be growing next year - that's not to say it won't be fun finding out! :wink:
Gardening organically on chalky, stony soil.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
over gown courgettes
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2006, 21:38 »
Talk about overgrown courgettes!!!!  I missed one!  Found it tonight. I weighs nearly 3lbs!!!   Hubby wants to keep it until Sunday then stuff it like a marrow.  I was going to put it in my courgette chutney which I haven't tried making yet

fatgit

over gown courgettes
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2006, 22:08 »
mmm courgette chutney, might try that :)

I too found one hidden away that weighs in at over 2lb's, wasn't sure what to do with it :)
Organic where possible, unless it involves the snails that now seem to be eating the slug pellets for fun

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
over gown courgettes
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2006, 22:11 »
Well, i own't waste anything if I can help it FG.  Cut it open and try it!  If its got loads of seeds and you can't eat it, ave the seeds for next year and see what comes up!!!

that's what I've done with one of my over large cucumbers.  They don't taste too nice, so am saving the seds from one of them.

xx
Please help my courgettes!

Started by oldcow on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post July 28, 2010, 19:48
by sunshineband
xx
courgettes

Started by cooperman on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post September 01, 2008, 21:51
by richyrich7
xx
courgettes

Started by vegypete on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post May 21, 2012, 21:09
by angelavdavis
xx
big courgettes lol

Started by Callie on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post August 09, 2009, 13:06
by mumofstig

Page created in 0.353 seconds with 33 queries.