SAVING our own seed

• 10 Replies

Oliver

SAVING our own seed
« on: August 07, 2006, 11:20 »
Eristic Says: If you want to harvest the seeds, you must leave them to turn dry and straw coloured. Remember that any f1 or other hybrid plants will not come true from saved seed.

She saved some gem squash seed because she lost the packet that they came in. They must have been f1s because (a) they grew very fast and the 'smal'l fruits were funny shapes and (b) the older fruits (which are still growing!) on one plant are as big as a giant beach balls, and on the other are long fat squat marrows! The third plant looks more like a shot put than a squash - the skin is very hard.
Note: (a gem squash is a round squash which is harvested about as big as a tennis ball, cut in half, seeds removed (or not if very tender) boiled for about 15 mins then the hole is filled with butter and sugar and yum yum.)

Still toying with whether to eat them or consign them to the compost heap.
Keep the plot cultivated, that's the best way to ensure its future.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
SAVING our own seed
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2006, 17:00 »
Try before you throw Oliver!  I strated off 3 years ago with an Apache Chilli F1 Hybrid, saved the seeds and the 2 years since, I get loads of medium hot chillis, but they are 3 times the size of the originals.  I think they must have cross pollinated with the red peppers i had in there at the same time!!  Still taste fine though!!  Mind you, what I am going to do with about 3,000 chillis this year I do not know!!!!

Oliver

Millions of cabbages too!
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2006, 23:10 »
Quote from: "grannieannie"
...  what I am going to do with about 3,000 chillis this year I do not know!!!!

I must confess I was wondering what you are going to do with several hundred cabbages too. I rather thought you were going into sauerkraut production? :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

I will get her to try the gigantic squash ,but I suspect it will taste like a very large marrow  - like nothing at all! (Well, I know she doesn't like marrow. Other people rave about stuffed marrow.)

She saved some seed from a Silver Prince Pumpkin (that is an f1) but the resulting pumpkin is very nice - it keep just as well and is just as dense, but does not look as grand.  :? O

GrannieAnnie

SAVING our own seed
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2006, 16:08 »
Well, the cabbages are going quite well!  Luckily my friend Sharon loves cabbage, and she works with disabled people who live in their own homes, so they've had a few.  then OH's Mum's best friend, her daughter and HER daughters have had some!!!!!

Also yesterday threw some away from the polytunnel (cabbages don't seem to like the heat in there and what with keeping the tomatoes well watered, some of the cabbages were going a bit furry (but not as furry as you Oliver!!!! lol)

But I don't think they like chillis or courgettes or aubergines!

Jake

• Rockers
SAVING our own seed
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2006, 12:37 »
Well I've saved a good hundred pea seeds. I've planted 2 to see if they germinate then I'm not too disappointed next year.

They are heritage seeds so are supposed to be saved.

I'm going to collect some swiss chard seeds at the weekend I think, some of the bolted plants look like they've seeded. Again these are heritage seeds but is there any reason I shouldn't save seeds from a bolted plant? At the moment it seems to me like it would be fine.

I was going to let a couple of parsnips seed but apparently this might be antisocial as I'm leaving and you get parsnips popping up everywhere if you let one seed. It wouldn't bother me though.

Same goes for my tomatoes, if they ever ripen :?
first there is a mountain then there is no mountain then there is

Oliver

Chard
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2006, 12:51 »
Quote from: "Jake"
some of the bolted plants look like they've seeded. Again these are heritage seeds but is there any reason I shouldn't save seeds from a bolted plant?

No reason at all Jake, bolted means gone to seed. Also bear in mind that F1 hybrids don't germnate true so you never know what you are going to get - some sort of *something or other* but not necessarily what grew before. Could be interesting. (I have not heard of F1 chard, but could, of course be wrong!) (She got a giant beach ball squash instead of a tennis ball sized gem squash!)

So if the seeds  are dry collect them, if they are ripe but not dry then pick off the whole head, put it upside down in a paper bag WITH ITS NAME, tie loosely and hang up in an airy place to dry. (She pegs her bags on an apron which is hanging up in the utility room where the central heating boiler is! Sometime in the winter she takes the seed off the seed head and bags them up properly).

(The 'with its name' is in capitals because she has scribbled a name on a label in the past and then not been able to read her writing! She can sometimes recognise seed, but obviously not the variety! Can prove interesting when it comes to growing. The principle is - if the seed was saved she must have wanted to grow it again! :lol:

She would LOVE to have parsnips pop up all over the place. Any parsnips, anywhere. She lives in hope!! So far she is the proud owner of 9 parsnips out of a whole packet.  Well, there is always next year (to quote gwiz)!

Jake

• Rockers
Re: Chard
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2006, 13:02 »
Quote from: "Oliver"
(I have not heard of F1 chard, but could, of course be wrong!) (She got a giant beach ball squash instead of a tennis ball sized gem squash!)

No I mean the plants I listed are heritage aka heirloom. They are the same genetic strain that was being grown and eaten between 1840 and 1860. Like i've said before I'm interested in ye olde world type things. The idea of eating veg and fruit that is essentially the same as that eaten by 19th century peasents is very appealing to me.

The peas could be a problem because it is supposed to be easy for them to get cross pollinated with the F1's on other plots.

The tomatoes are really odd. I know I was very careful and planted cherries and beefstakes. I think these have crossed because the plants have fruits of all kinds of sizes. All green at the moment but healthy looking.

The parsnips are incredibly long and thinner than modern varieties.

Going to grow a wider variety of heritage next year. If I can find a plot that is.....

Oliver

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2006, 13:43 »
I listed are heritage aka heirloom
Sorry! Did not read the post properly. Collect away - they should germinate true.

The tomatoes are really odd. I know I was very careful and planted cherries and beefstakes. I think these have crossed because the plants have fruits of all kinds of sizes. All green at the moment but healthy looking.
If you mean the fruit has cross pollinated, you won't know unless you save some seed from the fruits and sow them.

If the fruits on the currently fruiting plants are all different sizes  - that could be 'normal' for the beefsteaks - they can be different sizes on the same plant, but the cherry tomatoes should all be the same size: small!

BillinPA

« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2006, 16:20 »
I listed are heritage aka heirloom

If you mean the fruit has cross pollinated, you won't know unless you save some seed from the fruits and sow them.

If the fruits on the currently fruiting plants are all different sizes  - that could be 'normal' for the beefsteaks - they can be different sizes on the same plant, but the cherry tomatoes should all be the same size: small!

I have 2 Juliet "grape" Toms (started from packet seed) planted next to my Romas and over 50% of the Juliets are the size of Romas. :?  Never had this happen before. :| Very few are the true grape size, much to the dismay of the Mrs.  :cry: She wanted me to plant cherry toms :roll: but I ran out of space?  

Anyone ever have problem with Juliets not being true to size?
Never underestimate the power of your actions. With one small gesture you can change a person's life.

Bill in PA

GrannieAnnie

SAVING our own seed
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2006, 16:37 »
Sorry Bill, I've nevre grown Juliet, but like Jake, my beefsteaks are all different sizes.

The green grape are incredibly sweet though.

Oliver

Green grape toms
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2006, 23:30 »
Quote from: "grannieannie"
The green grape are incredibly sweet though.
She grew green grape toms last year and they were lovely. I think she wants to grow them again next year as the sweet olives (mini plums) which she grew instead this year were a flop. she will try Harlequin mini plums next year.

xx
saving pea seed

Started by little sweetpeas on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post February 09, 2010, 13:55
by little sweetpeas
xx
Seed Saving.

Started by Potiron on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post March 26, 2009, 08:47
by Haz
xx
seed saving

Started by Bigbadfrankie on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post August 04, 2007, 23:16
by GrannieAnnie
xx
seed saving

Started by jambop on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post July 19, 2015, 11:52
by Bohobumble

Page created in 0.314 seconds with 38 queries.