I just wanted to say

• 24 Replies

woodentop

I just wanted to say
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2007, 18:04 »
My allotment is the same. I have been there 3 years and have only spoken to a few people - they all want to keep their own company. Mind you they are pretty quick to complain to the commitee if they think you have infringed their stupid rules. One is " The gates must be kept shut at all times"  How do you get in and out then ?

This is the best way of gaining info for me. Perhaps we should start a virtual on line allotment. At least wouldn't get flooded out - we could make up our own weather!

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
I just wanted to say
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2007, 20:09 »
Quote from: "woodentop"
Perhaps we should start a virtual on line allotment..

I'd like a lottie which lugs in its own manure please  :wink:

brucesgirl

I just wanted to say
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2007, 20:15 »
Ours is really friendly. We had a barbecue last month and we all got to know each other. It always takes an hour to get through the site to go home as everyone has a chat with you.
And we had an enormous pile of manure delivered to the site for everyone to share. Everyone gives away extra plants and veg to each other, and one lady has had a play house put up for any of the children to play in.
Oh, and our plot was completely dug over for us before we took it on.

purplebat

I just wanted to say
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2007, 21:04 »
Quote from: "brucesgirl"
Ours is really friendly. We had a barbecue last month and we all got to know each other. It always takes an hour to get through the site to go home as everyone has a chat with you.
And we had an enormous pile of manure delivered to the site for everyone to share. Everyone gives away extra plants and veg to each other, and one lady has had a play house put up for any of the children to play in.
Oh, and our plot was completely dug over for us before we took it on.

wow  :shock:  that's one hell of an allotment site, lucky you  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:
If Life gives you lemons, - Make Lemonade

sweet nasturtium

I just wanted to say
« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2007, 22:58 »
Although our site is mostly tended by the older generation, they are all really friendly and I always have a chat.  They have time to spare and hints to share.  They have given me a huge amount of confidence, frequently saying things like "just dig a hole and put it in - it'll be allright" - or "I've always done it like this ... but soandso over there has always done it that way".  I haven't got to know any of the young uns, they seem too busy.  I've obviously got too much time on my hands.

mushroom

I just wanted to say
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2007, 09:02 »
I'd say the median age on our site was about 50 but the average is somewhat lower, so there's a fair amount of people in their 30s but many semi-retired/retired. It seems that the folks with traditional extended families have the best plots on our site - many hands make less work. Our site has a lot of people who have been there for years and years, so there's a real mix. People are reservedly friendly, which is what I like, rather than in-your-face-friendly, which makes me want to run away screaming  :shock:  :lol:

mum of 3

• Experienced Member
I just wanted to say
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2007, 10:27 »
ours is only small with about 15 plots and last year we were full,everyone seemed enthusiastic for about 2/3 months and now we are down to 4/5 regulars :( best thing is i know that most of them live within a stones throw of site,whereas we now live about 4 miles away and still manage to bus it there and back. :)

wellingtons

I'm certainly one of the youngest on ...
« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2007, 10:58 »
... our site, although there is one teenage lad.

Most of the plots are worked by retired men, with a little help from the wife.  And a few are worked by couples.

I think there is really only me, Pauline and Sheila who are women only allotment holders, and I have a lot of help from my other half.  Pauline and Sheila really are the only two women powered plots.

The site is really friendly, but quite big (?? 50 plots??) so you tend only to interact with those in your row.  People like a bit of a chat and are quick to offer help and advice, and I mean actual work type help if needed.

When my shed was broken into and the fences wrecked, John fixed the lock, Pete fixed up the wire netting and Pauline tidied the shed without being asked.

If plot holders are ill ... like Bill when he had his heart attack ... work parties are organised to keep the plot going in his absence.  I check my neighbours plot when they're on hols and they look after mine.

It's not intrusive but it is supportive.  And I do like it.

I know when I started some people thought I was a bit ... erm ... colourful.   :lol:   But only the one miserable person made me unwelcome and even he's given up now and is at least civil to me.

Lynne

I just wanted to say
« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2007, 12:49 »
It's really interesting to hear about the 'social' side of everyone's plots. At our site, most plots are worked by men with occasional help from wives. I'm the only plot where I am the main female (only because my husband works all week so only really has time at the weekends). As I work for myself, I am lucky in that I can pick and choose how often I work, so can spend quite a bit of time there at the moment as I don't get much work in the summer.

All the other plot holders are friendly and give really helpful advice which has boosted my confidence. They also keep me supplied with veg as I'm not producing yet (although all my crops are starting to grow now).

Like some of you have said, there are some plots that people don't work but won't give up, so the council has told them to 'use it or lose it' as there is a waiting list. There a 2 or 3 people who are there every day and at the moment I probably average every other day.

I just wish there was an allotment association, but there isn't and apparently nobody wants to take on the work that would involve.

Lynne
Lynne.

So much to do, but so little time.

sparky

I just wanted to say
« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2007, 03:43 »
We have 3 other occupiers of the allotments. Jerry, (the head gardener :lol: ), John, and Martin, all Irishmen and absolutely superb gentlemen with sound advice and a load of laughs to go with it. Only today Jerry got his rotovator out and showed me how to work it on our plot, plus they have given me some of their produce to try just to show us what the end result of all the hard work will deliver.
Gentlemen I salute you 8)  :lol:  :lol:

xx
help wanted

Started by ranat22 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post April 25, 2011, 16:03
by ranat22
xx
Just wanted to say HELLO

Started by greenfingers on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post August 09, 2006, 22:50
by noshed
xx
what bug is this, DD wanted to know ?

Started by Beetroot queen on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post June 05, 2009, 21:22
by sunshineband
xx
Ivy Killer wanted

Started by WhiteWolf on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post July 14, 2014, 13:52
by Dilly Dom

Page created in 0.33 seconds with 36 queries.