Flea Beetle

• 14 Replies

Novice

• Experienced Member
Flea Beetle
« on: July 18, 2006, 14:51 »
These nasty little so-and-so's have decimated my radishes, rocket, and swede over the past few weeks ( when the seed leaves come through )
What can I do about them, as they're so difficult to catch ( he he !! )

Heather_S

• http://www.stargazy.org/plants/allotment/
Flea Beetle
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2006, 16:40 »
Derris Dust. It's organic, it's made from powdered tropical roots and it makes the little blighters go away. It's safe to use up to one day before harvest and it needs to be reapplied because its effectivness goes away with exposure to sunlight so every 3 days in very bright sunlight, you can leave it a bit longer if it's in semi-shade or shade. You need dry weather to apply derris dust which is good about now... You can get liquid derris if you prefer spraying (it is a bit messy, try for a still day not a windy day when applying the dust!).

A more natural approach is to mulch where your seeds are going to come up. They're stressed out from being slightly dry and the little evil flea beetles come along and go... ahha! easy pickings! and eat away.
wistfully hoping to one day be mostly organic gardener in North London.

noshed

Flea Beetle
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2006, 18:12 »
You could try growing under fleece/fine netting. I'm giving that a go. They've had all my rocket-type leaves so far. Why can't they eat the bindweed?
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

Jake

• Rockers
Flea Beetle
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2006, 19:56 »
Well I've got them too but they don't seem to be doing much damage! I've ignored them so far.

They don't do hidden damage do they?
first there is a mountain then there is no mountain then there is

Heather_S

• http://www.stargazy.org/plants/allotment/
Flea Beetle
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2006, 21:29 »
They mostly bite little tiny holes in the leaves, leaving the leaves peppered with little scraped dots.
It's one of those things where it may not do so much damage to a mature plant but it will kill a seedling.

noshed

Flea Beetle
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2006, 22:10 »
Bob Flowerdew says waft a bit of cardboard over them, covered in mollasses. Then feed it to your hens.
It's different here in Walthamstow.

Oliver

Re: Flea Beetle
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2006, 11:58 »
Quote from: "Novice"
These nasty little so-and-so's have decimated my radishes, rocket, and swede over the past few weeks

Hello Novice, see my post of 4 July (Ants |Good or bad?).
They are not a problem on radishes, and swedes because they generally eat the leaves, and since you don't generally eat the leaves, they go on the compost heap. Salads are another thing - you do eat the leaves, and although they still taste sort-of-ok, they look horrible so you probably won't want to eat them.

Her second sowing is doing well under its fleece, despite the heat!
Oliver-novice 2
Keep the plot cultivated, that's the best way to ensure its future.

hermon

Flea Beetle
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2006, 13:31 »
wondered what was causing that on my rocket leaves! i thought it was something i have brought back with me form my manure from the stables. is it only early summer they are about?

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Flea Beetle
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2006, 15:02 »
I think they are what I've got in my tunnel, but only on a few cabbages that I upt in there when I ran out of room outside.  I thought I might lose the eaten cabbages, but as they grow, the beetles seem to keep on the outer leaves and the heart is growing okay so far.  I haven't dug them up as i figured, while they are eating those few, they may leave the rest alone!!!  says she hopefully!!!

Oliver

Fleabeetles on cabbages
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2006, 16:47 »
Quote from: "grannieannie"
[creatures] in the poly
Fleabeetles certainly eat holes in brassica seedling leaves, if they get the chance and may indeed kill the seedling, but they appear to leave bigger brassicas alone in favour of more tender leaves. So -
Wonder if these are indeed fleabeetles and not weevils n the cabbages. She picked a cabbage last night (Hispi) and the outer leaves had lots of weevils on them. Fleabeetles don't hang around to be seen. They jump off pronto when anyone approaches, but weevils stay put.

Weevils are a little bigger than fleabeetles and have long pointed snouts. They eat frilly patterns on broadbeans, but on cabbages seem to make small holes. They don't appear to be on the inside leaves as these are too tightly together.
Just a thought. O

Oliver

How long does the infestation of fleabeetles last?
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2006, 16:52 »
Quote from: "hermon"
. is it only early summer they are about?
They seem to be about as long as there is food! So her salad leaves (including rocket) stay under the fleece all the time. They do sometimes get weevils under there though ... sigh, is its not one thing, its another! But plenty of water is what  is called for in any event as dry makes it worse.

GrannieAnnie

Flea Beetle
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2006, 23:01 »
I have only ever seen 'something' jump off once and scuttle away into the ground, so I've never actually seen what it is!!!

GrannieAnnie

Flea Beetle
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2006, 23:03 »
I have only ever seen 'something' jump off once and scuttle away into the ground, so I've never actually seen what it is!!!

Novice

• Experienced Member
Flea Beetle
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2006, 09:02 »
Thanks for all the advice folks, in the absence of mollasses ( I really will have to have a serious word with Mrs.Novice about our store cupboard ingredients ) I tried wafting cardboard covered in peanut butter, but that failed miserably, so I'm off to Poplars this morning to get a few yards of fleece, and re-sow.

Oliver

Fleabettles on rocket
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2006, 09:24 »
Quote from: "Novice"
...  get a few yards of fleece, and re-sow.

Good onya, Sport! Tell us how you get on. O

xx
Flea beetle

Started by sianb on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 07, 2010, 20:36
by new_plot
xx
flea beetle

Started by souslebois on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post March 04, 2011, 06:48
by Paul Plots
xx
Flea Beetle

Started by Eblana on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post August 08, 2013, 00:22
by Salmo
xx
Flea beetle

Started by fletch on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post June 18, 2008, 22:37
by compostqueen

Page created in 0.29 seconds with 35 queries.