Another two scams.

• 7 Replies

Goosegirl

Another two scams.
« on: March 28, 2021, 13:28 »
First one was supposedly from DVLA re- they found some incorrect info on my car tax. Having moved house last year I did wonder if they'd not updated their records so clicked on the link and got "Ooops can't get this page" so presume Mr Norton kicked in. I then went back to the email and scrutinised the sender's email  address which was not quite right and the italicised info in brackets was all consonants so ditched it.
The second was supposedly from Dyson saying congratulations and to confirm my email address. Having had a free updated model from them because I gave them my view on the one I'd been using I did wonder about it, but again the email address didn't look right so I ditched that one too.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

mrs bouquet

Re: Another two scams.
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2021, 13:34 »
Very wise Gg,      Mrs Bouquet
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

GraciesGran

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2021, 07:07 »
They seem to come in batches.  I've missed 4 parcels over the past few days and not claimed a premium bond prize.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2021, 09:14 »
I've been receiving calls daily for the last few weeks, telling that my internet provider is going to cut my service, within 24 hours - because of a fault on the line/system, and wanted me to tell them passwords so they could fix it.  :ohmy:  :mad:
(The line problem, I did have, was reported to Sky and fixed by BT a few weeks ago  ::) ) It does make me wonder how many people fall for it, though.

GraciesGran

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2021, 11:22 »
Chatting to my aunt over the weekend and she was telling me about a similar scam call.  Apparently her password in these situations is 'pi** *ff'. Made me smile

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2021, 12:40 »
They seem to come in batches.  I've missed 4 parcels over the past few days and not claimed a premium bond prize.

Despite having registered with the Telephone Preference Service, and also my Internet provider's spam call blocker, I still get these calls - as you say they come in batches, 4-5 a day last week until Thursday, then none since.
Sure bet it won't stay that way for long - only until someone either guesses or 'buys' my number as part of a job lot.

So far I've only had one spam call on my mobile phone, and that was in Chinese!  :ohmy:  :unsure:
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2021, 15:37 »
I have a BT phone (On a Virgin land line) which blocks all numbers not on your contact list, the caller can choose to “announce” their call, which you can accept or reject, but the scammers systems just hang up.

Growster...

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2021, 07:06 »
I have a BT phone (On a Virgin land line) which blocks all numbers not on your contact list, the caller can choose to “announce” their call, which you can accept or reject, but the scammers systems just hang up.

We've got one like that, Aunt. When I can be bothered to look back at recent calls, there are loads from overseas, lots from strange numbers with about five noughts in front, and some sort of logo which is in red and stops the blighters ever getting to us! They all get blocked at source, and the phone never even rings!

It didn't cost much and has been a godsend!

Some of the emails are interesting though, and I sometimes wish I could read Russian...

xx
two possible scams?

Started by Goosegirl on Chatting on the Plot

20 Replies
Last post November 03, 2022, 17:18
by rowlandwells
xx
Telephone Scams

Started by mrs bouquet on Chatting on the Plot

6 Replies
Last post November 28, 2018, 14:55
by rowlandwells
xx
on line scams

Started by dugless on Chatting on the Plot

16 Replies
Last post June 20, 2020, 15:27
by Blackpool rocket
xx
Attempted telephone scams

Started by AlaninCarlisle on Chatting on the Plot

17 Replies
Last post August 26, 2023, 06:23
by Growster...

Page created in 0.14 seconds with 49 queries.