Unwell or just knackered?

• 6 Replies

skywatcher

Unwell or just knackered?
« on: October 12, 2009, 17:56 »
One of our Rhode Star hens isn't her normal self. I let the others out into the garden but she stayed put and I had to pick her up and put her with the others. As they pecked around on the grass she didn't seem that bothered. I noticed that her tail is down a little and the feathers around her bum are moving in and out occasionally, like she is clenching but other than that there doesn't seem to be much wrong - eyes are clear but she seems to be blinking a lot more than the others, nose is clear, no signs of injury, being picked on or pests. Crop is squishy, doesn't feel full whereas the others are relatively hard. She goes to the food but has a peck and then walks away. They are all approximately 26 weeks old.

Either her or the other Rhode Star laid a very large double yolk egg today - could she just be knackered from that? Sadly we can't tell which one laid it but they have all laid today. I didn't notice any problems over the weekend and was out today so didn't see her during the day.  Any ideas?

treacleminer

Re: Unwell or just knackered?
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2009, 19:12 »
Would suspect your diagnosis is correct :D

She may take the day off tomorrow too!
Keep an eye on her anyway,  but she'll probably perk up :)

poultrygeist

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2009, 20:05 »
Had you checked her vent for a prolapse ? It'll be puckered and sicking out a bit.

Also check her crop first thing in the morning before she gets to any food. It should be empty. If it's still bloated, it could be sour crop which will require treatment, possibly anti-fungal from a vet.

Rob 8)

skywatcher

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2009, 07:22 »
Went down this morning, the other three came out quickly but she stayed in the house. I had a look inside and she was ok. Felt her crop as suggested but it was empty. Tried to look at her vent but she wouldn't hold still so I let her go. Her tail is back up again this morning and she has her neck up again (forgot to mention yesterday, she was a bit huddled and puffed up). She went straight for the food and appeared to be eating properly now so I suspect she may be on the mend. Will check her again after work but I'm happy that she is showing some signs of improvemnent already.

skywatcher

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2009, 16:59 »
Checked her vent tonight, all looks ok. It took a while as I haven't had to look at it before and there were lots of feathers in the way.

She seems to be back to normal although only one of them laid today - perhaps some sort of industrial action? I hadn't been notified of any ballot and, as one of them laid, presumably she is a "scab?"

noshed

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2009, 18:12 »
It could be selective action.
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

poultrygeist

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2009, 18:30 »
I bet the management are laying to break the strike  >:(

Sounds like she was just a bit under the weather. They do that sometimes for various unknown reasons.  ???

Rob 8)

xx
Unwell hen

Started by Kym503 on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post April 20, 2009, 17:49
by Aunt Sally
xx
Unwell hen

Started by Beano on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post August 02, 2011, 13:27
by Beano
xx
Help unwell chicken

Started by jenashmimi on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post July 05, 2011, 13:47
by jenashmimi
xx
Please can anyone help I have a very unwell 4 day old chick?

Started by Natasha2810 on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post June 13, 2010, 23:12
by GrannieAnnie

Page created in 0.238 seconds with 34 queries.