Autumn Sown Broad Beans

• 13 Replies

Ian_P

• Experienced Member
Autumn Sown Broad Beans
« on: October 11, 2006, 19:23 »
I keep reading that I can get my broad beans off to a flying start by planting them about now, if I use Aquadulce that is.

Does anyone know if I can start them off in pots first? Or will they germinate too early and be too soft to survive the first frost?

I am putting up a shed on the allotment and have covered the place they should be with junk and I am afraid I am going to miss the planting window.

Thanks
Ian

Feeding the mini-beasts of Hampshire

noshed

Autumn Sown Broad Beans
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2006, 19:49 »
I planted some in trays at the weekend and they've started sprouting already. They're in my plastic greenhouse on my balcony. I was going to plant them out when they're about 3" high. I've prepared a bed with manure and I'm going to dig in some comfrey leaves before I plant them.
I'm also going to plant some seeds direct and also try "The Sutton" as well as "Aqualdulce".
If it gets cold I'll put some fleece over them but the ones I inherited from the previous plotowner in January did fine with no protection.
I'm going to try some peas too "Pilot". Can't be any worse than this year's surely...?
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

milkman

Autumn Sown Broad Beans
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2006, 21:09 »
I am going to plonk Super Aquadulce beans straight in the ground and cover them with fleece or viromesh if we get very chilly windy wet weather.  In the past I've found they do well if I protect them, and badly if I don't bother to.  

Am also going to try overwintered peas - Feltham First which I'm also going to sow direct in wide drills, covering them with compost and protecting them with viromesh.
Gardening organically on chalky, stony soil.

Jake

• Rockers
Autumn Sown Broad Beans
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2006, 23:10 »
I've planted some broad beans out at my mums. I don't know the variety sorry (I'm at a travel inn) but they are about an inch high. I will be protecting them from frost but thought that would be later on.

sown some peas too but I already expect to have to plant some later on as they are delicate.

anyway, i'll keep you posted :?
first there is a mountain then there is no mountain then there is

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
Autumn Sown Broad Beans
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2006, 10:41 »
I have just sown some Sutton, but I sow them in empty toilet rolls so I dont disturb the roots when I transplant them as you just put the roll in the hole. (wayhay I'm a poet). Then they will live under glass untill next year.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

greenie

Autumn Sown Broad Beans
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2006, 18:49 »
I just bought several veg seeds to try next Spring but then spotted this post. Are broad beans the same as runner or French beans? I'm not a bean person so have no idea, but want to try growing them.

Will runner beans started from seed now survive? I would sow them now if they have a good chance of surviving the winter and giving them a head start.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Autumn Sown Broad Beans
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2006, 19:56 »
I wouldn't relaly bother with sowing runners now greenie.  I start mine off in 3inch pots in a cold greenhouse late March/Early April, then at the end of May, when they are about 1ft tall, put them in the ground.  As we are quite exposed here, I put my canes into a wigwam shape.  The wind whistles round them quite nicely!

Broad beans I grew this year for the first time as OH loves them.  They look a bit like a runner bean, but have a coarser pod.  you can apparently eat the pods too when they are small and tender, but usually you eat the seeds.  The outer coating can be a little bitter tasting, but the posh restaurants take that off too and just leave the bean.

greenie

Autumn Sown Broad Beans
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2006, 20:32 »
Thanks grannieannie. I'm thinking of overwintering a few beans like the OP and see how they do as compared to Spring sowed ones. How many plants of runner beans does one grow for say 10-15 people (for us and to give away)?

GrannieAnnie

Autumn Sown Broad Beans
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2006, 20:49 »
Wellllllllll, last year I had 74 runner bean plants, and I used to sell them to the builders from my little canteen that I ran at the time, gave loads away, ate them with OH nearly everyday til he was sick of them, AND had over 40lbs frozen until the freezer packed up and I ended up throwing most of them away.

This year I only planted about 36 plants, but maybe because of the hot dry period in June/July, I didn't have as many beans either, not until August when it cooled down a bit.  I've not eaten quite as many, have SOME in the freezer and gave some away.  But then I really DO like runner beans A LOT!!!! lol

Jake

• Rockers
Autumn Sown Broad Beans
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2006, 23:49 »
Quote from: "grannieannie"
you can apparently eat the pods too when they are small and tender...

Thats so true, they are lovely and you can't buy them in the shops. You can eat them raw or slightly cooked.

I planted a lot out at this time last year but they didn't do well, this year they are near a wall which will give off heat so might do better.

At least thats the theory. :?

Alec Powell

Re: Autumn Sown Broad Beans
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2006, 22:16 »
Quote from: "Ian_P"
I keep reading that I can get my broad beans off to a flying start by planting them about now, if I use Aquadulce that is.

The argument as to whether planting autumn or spring broad beans has been going on for years  :)
Most autumn growers I know argue that a good reason for planting in the autumn is that you do not get as much blackfly the following year. My answer is that I do not consider blackfly a major problem only a messy one :)
Ive tried both plantings and now wait until early spring to plant out.
Anyway I would prefer to give my plot a bit of well earned rest until the New Year and will only consider garlic, shallots and a few sring cabbage to go in now.
Plenty of time - take it slow and enjoy it all the more  8)
Alec Powell
Watlington
Oxfordshire
"Waiting For The Great Leap Forwards"

Ali

Autumn Sown Broad Beans
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2006, 20:13 »
Sowing them now gives a yummy early crop next year, when no one else has anything to show for themselves! I guess if you were dedicated you'd sow some now and some in the spring too.

Oliver

Runner Beans
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2006, 21:08 »
Quote from: "greenie"
Thanks grannieannie. I'm thinking of overwintering a few beans like the OP and see how they do as compared to Spring sowed ones. How many plants of runner beans does one grow for say 10-15 people (for us and to give away)?

Don't sow runner beans now -  it is a complete waste of time and effort - they will be killed by the frost and they won't set beans anyway if it is cold. Also, they like 12 hours of light to do anything.

So, sow them in pots in mid April (depending on your area). Plant then out when risk of frost has passed. They hatch very quickly when he soil is nice and warm so don't struggle too early.

For 10 15 people you would probably need 2 or 3 rows of 20 plants each. They also need a realy fertile bed and LOTS of water. Its a good idea to make a bund round the row and fill that with 4 cans of water each watering. (Thats what she does - except she only has 20 plants for 4 people and even that is a lot!).

Broad beans sown now are supposed to beat the blackfly later on (as Shaun says). They overwinter fine, frost, snow and all.
Keep the plot cultivated, that's the best way to ensure its future.

GrannieAnnie

Autumn Sown Broad Beans
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2006, 21:53 »
I was talking about sowing broad beans now Ollie mate, not runners, if you look on my earlier post, i was talking about sowing runners late april/early may in pots!!

xx
2 questions on Autumn sown broad beans

Started by seaside on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post May 29, 2013, 19:01
by Potty Plotty Lotty
xx
Black leaves on autumn sown broad beans

Started by Liverpool Brick on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post November 28, 2015, 16:24
by trunk monkey
xx
Broad Beans - Autumn Sowing - Can I sow them now?

Started by skywalker on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post May 09, 2010, 09:16
by skywalker
xx
What can I plant before autumn planted broad beans

Started by Muls on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post August 14, 2013, 18:44
by sunshineband

Page created in 0.369 seconds with 35 queries.