Black bugs on the underside of cucumber leaves

• 4 Replies

Snoop

Black bugs on the underside of cucumber leaves
« on: July 06, 2014, 11:25 »
One of my cucumber plants is not thriving. When I went to inspect it, I found lots of black things that look like tiny bugs stuck to the underside of the leaves: about one millimetre or less in length, roundish in shape and absolutely loads of them.

We've had lots of rain here recently, but I'm pretty sure they're bugs rather than a fungal problem, though they weren't moving.

Apologies for not being able to post a photo. From my terrible description, is anyone able to identify this problem and suggest a solution? I'm guessing rip up the plant and hope for the best for the other two. My courgettes, squash and melons are planted very nearby and so far I haven't spotted the bugs on them.

Totty

Re: Black bugs on the underside of cucumber leaves
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2014, 19:11 »
Is there any really fine webbing on the plant. If so it sounds like spider mite. In my experience, if there are loads of them, and the plant is struggling badly, you may as well rip it out. Spider mites won't thrive in humid atmospheres, so all my cukes get splashed all over, morning and night. I also keep a bucket of moss in the greenhouse soaking wet, and the door is usually closed. This makes a very tropical humid atmosphere that the cukes love, but mites hate.

Totty

Snoop

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2014, 20:03 »
There's no webbing on the plant and I don't think they're spider mite. When I squash them, there's black goo, no red trails like I usually get with spider mite. Plus, it's been very damp here recently, so not ideal conditions for spider mite.

I haven't seen anything quite like them in images on the Web. The closest is squash bug eggs.

Maybe I'll just rip the plant out and hope for the best. Mr Snoop wouldn't be sorry to see a few fewer cukes, that's for sure.

Dr_Pepper

• Good Life Horticulture
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2014, 17:14 »
They could be aphids - our organic crop at work is suffering with melon-cotton aphid (Aphis gossypii) at the moment. Insecticidal soap is the way to go.

Snoop

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2014, 19:54 »
Thanks Dr. Pepper. I'll get on the case. I've noticed a couple of ladybirds on the plants recently. I'll move them elsewhere and give the plants a spray tomorrow evening and hope for the best.

xx
Black Fly on underside of courgtte leaves

Started by Marcus10 on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post June 26, 2012, 16:58
by Marcus10
xx
Black bugs on broad beans

Started by lelly on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post June 17, 2010, 12:09
by lelly
xx
runner bean - black bugs

Started by blue_cortina on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 26, 2008, 17:02
by blue_cortina
xx
black bugs on potato plants

Started by rivkele on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post May 30, 2009, 14:32
by Celery

Page created in 0.285 seconds with 28 queries.