Been offered a tiny allotment - wondering whether to accept

• 26 Replies

3 allotments

• now is the time
Re: Been offered a tiny allotment - wondering whether to accept
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2014, 19:42 »
Thanks for all the advice. It seems like tall and thin crops are the way to go :) A shed or store of some sort will be an essential I'm afraid - I'll have my toddler on the back of the bike, so no room for anything else really!! Maybe a trowel and some seedlings in the front basket but that's about it...maybe I need a bike trailer? As its a new site, no idea yet whether it is likely to attract vandals. I don't think there are problems with the other sites in town, but being new it may attract attention.

I hadn't heard of square foot gardening, I'll look into it.

I think my disappointment stems from being familiar with full size plots (friends had them in the past), so that was the size I was expecting. When I heard it was opening this Spring and we had a plot, I immediately had exciting visions of a big plot, with loads of fruit as well as veg. Oh well - I think we will go for it, but will have to do a lot of research into how best to lay it out. And hope one of my immediate neighbours gives it up quite quickly :)
Hi parslee welcome to the site i have a bike trailer to move all my stuff about would not be without it now have a look on ebay.Darren
diggity dig dig

Armleywhite

• Experienced Member
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2014, 22:06 »
I started on a plot same size and grew enough to be still using the stored produce from last season.  However, this season I have been given another plot of the same size.  I'm more than happy.  It's all about growing the things that you need most.  Once you've been growing a little while you'll more than likely be able to go for another.

Keep your name down on other lotties and eventually you'll inherit a new bigger one.

Goosegirl

« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2014, 11:41 »
I'd certainly go for it! As a newbie, it would be easy (and understandable) to get carried away with enthusiasm, plant all sorts of veg, then find there's so much work to do even in a small space, that you may struggle - I'm not saying you will, but just a caveat. Look upon it as a trial plot (like your first house), restrict your choice of veg to relatively easy ones like onions, leeks, broccoli / calabrese, cabbage, carrots, beetroot, dwarf French beans - whatever you like to eat; then use upward space for a couple of Runner bean plants, plus I would try some Sugar Snap peas because they are gorgeous, prolific, and can also be used as peas if some get past the picking stage. Keep it simple for this year, get to know your soil, aspect (how much sun it gets, if it's a bit windy in places etc)  and see how you go.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

jmc1949

« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2014, 13:36 »
I agree with everyone else. Go for it. I also started with a small plot 20 x 35 ft (can't do metric!). A year later the chap opposite gave up his plot and I was offered it. Even on the starter plot I managed to grow plenty of veggies, even had a small patch of early potatoes and then grew courgettes and spaghetti squash when they were harvested. I just tried to grow all the things I like to eat. Now that I've got 2 starter plots I've started growing fruit as well.  Hopefully another plot will become available to you. Our site was new and 4 years later there are only 9 of the original 26 plotholders left.

Fairy Plotmother

« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2014, 14:39 »
Go for it. Grow a bit of everything you like to eat to get the hang of it. Then when you are able to expand you'll be flying!  :lol:

Willow_Warren

« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2014, 16:01 »
Hope you go for the petite plot you have been offered.  Even small has to be better than nothing :)

Good luck.

Hannah :)

noshed

« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2014, 16:55 »
When I first started I just kept some cheap tools under a pallet and chucked a tarp over them. It just looked like rubbish so people left it alone.
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

Trillium

« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2014, 17:19 »
Parslee, If you can't carry the tools, and don't want to put up a space-hog shed, then get ones of the tow carts for bicycles. Or, make your own. Should save you a lot of grief.

Alifink

• Don't follow me, I'm lost too
« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2014, 08:51 »
I've just started with my allotment after waiting 5 years, it is 50sq metres and I was quite disappointed when first seeing it. Some of the old boys on site have enormous plots. Now after a week of putting in raised beds and toe boards, bark on the paths and realising just how much good topsoil   :ohmy: costs I'm really relieved it is small. Also after looking at the shocking quality of cheap 4x6 sheds I'm building my own.
I will be going by bike, this is the reason I want a shed, although I could walk as it's only 5-10 minutes from home.
Good luck with your plot.
Al

jondav14

• Experienced Member
« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2014, 15:31 »
take it, at least its a start, you can always get a larger plot in the future, enjoy
who pinched me marrow?

madcat

« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2014, 18:19 »
And think about a storage bench seat instead of a shed.  OH made ours out of pallet wood and coated it in (half price!) cedar wood preservative.  It is long enough for the hoe, can be padlocked, is lined with roofing felt under the seat to keep it dry, doesnt look tempting like a shed and gives you somewhere sit down with a cuppa (very important when planning an allotment!).
All we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about (Charles Kingsley)

wbmkk

• Experienced Member
« Reply #26 on: March 05, 2014, 19:14 »
Parslee, I understand your situation totally but agree that it is better to have something, rather than no plot at all.

After about 4 1/2 years waiting, I was offered a plot late last year, but when I saws the first one that was offered I felt like crying. Small, on a slope and directly south of a big tree.

Luckily there was another plot available. I was even asked whether I wanted to split in half, in case it was too much. I opted not to split it. My plot has a central path and is 6.7m wide by 75 feet. I made four raised beds so know the width exactly, but I just used my shoes to roughly measure the length.

My theory (applies to allotments as well as many other things I've done) has always been 'take on as much as you can' If at a later stage you can't cope, pass on some. If you start too small, it's not always guaranteed that you'll be offered extra.

Good luck in your new venture

xx
I've been offered an allotment at last BUT....

Started by JaK on Grow Your Own

45 Replies
Last post November 14, 2011, 06:20
by Growster...
xx
Newbie - just been offered allotment

Started by Squeako on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post January 18, 2011, 16:33
by madcat
xx
Allotment offered, where do I start???

Started by Pickles29 on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post February 11, 2012, 16:06
by Kim50
xx
offered a full allotment

Started by Christian on Grow Your Own

25 Replies
Last post January 20, 2007, 20:09
by fluffypebble

Page created in 0.381 seconds with 35 queries.