Poundland Fruit Plants

• 18 Replies

Nufan182

Poundland Fruit Plants
« on: March 04, 2014, 09:42 »
Good morning All,

I have been away for some time, my apologies for that.

Has anyone bought fruit plants from Poundland? They have some Redcurrant,  Blueberry, Blackcurrant, Strawberry plants on sale.

I would quite happily grow from a cutting, but £1.00 for a small plant with a semi-established root system!? Should I chance it?

Hope you are all well.

Nufan
An allotment newbie. I love my allotment, I am not sure it feels the same about me :)

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
Re: Poundland Fruit Plants
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2014, 09:54 »
Other people might have had more luck with them, but all the ones I have ever bought have not made it. I may just have brown thumbs when it comes to this.

3 allotments

• now is the time
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2014, 10:30 »
Hi i bought 6 last year and none of them survived :ohmy: also bought 12 rose bush plants last year only 1 has survived 6 feet tall with lovely yellow orange flowers ;)
diggity dig dig

Debz

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2014, 10:33 »
I got Blueberry plants from there and they have been great.  I dont't know what variety they were though because it doesn't say on them.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2014, 11:01 »
If they're anything like the ones appearing from time to time in the low cost supermarkets you need to choose with care - you obviously won't know anything about their provenance, but it's a fairly safe bet they won't have had much (if anything) in the way of care since they arrived at the store. Avoid anything looking at all dried out - they can only put up with so much abuse.

I don't use Poundland myself - the Sheffield stores are either in the city centre or too far away to make it a sensible proposition (my nearest store is at "Unit 4, Block 6, The Moor, Sheffield, South Yorkshire" - sounds more like a high security prison than a tempting retail location!  :lol:)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2014, 11:24 »
Scrape the bark with a finger nail - if it's green underneath, they're still alive.........

Nufan182

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2014, 12:04 »
Thank you all very much for your help.

I may approach with extreme caution and finger nails at the ready and buy one of each, keep an eye on them and see if I can nurture them to some form of health.

I will also look for someone on my Allotment Site who may be able to offer some cuttings to grow from.

Again, many thanks to you all.

Nufan

m1ckz

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2014, 12:14 »
pick the ones that are shooting ,, i got 5 an there fine

GreyScales

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2014, 12:30 »
I've bought four blueberries this year. Two T&M, one Wilkos and a Poundland one.

It was the first to be planted, yet it's the only one not showing any new growth right now >_>

I'm not sure what to think, I'm just leaving it be and hoping it decides to wake up. Wasn't impressed with it at all upon purchase, the 'soil' just fell off it and it just looked like a bit of twig, but what do you expect for a pound?
1969320_677007502357468_302472287_n.jpg

dmg

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2014, 15:38 »
I bought 2 blueberries last year which grew well and I got 2 redcurrants I potted them up and left them in the unheated gh to establish and all are doing well. Its just the luck of the draw if you get them when they first come in or lying sitting for a couple of weeks

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2014, 18:40 »
Found myself in Lidl this afternoon, and in the interests of this thread had a look at the plants on offer:

A single clematis, with no buds, in a pot of completely dried out soil - one to avoid.  :ohmy: :ohmy:

Several small rose plants with the pot and lower stems protected with plastic wrapping - they looked like artificial plants at first glance because they were bright green and shiny, but on closer inspection they had apparently been sprayed with some sort of green wax, presumably to help stop them drying out. Some had healthy-looking buds on, some didn't.......  ::)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2014, 18:49 »
The green wax on roses is very common, even from the major suppliers  ;)

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2014, 19:18 »
The green wax on roses is very common, even from the major suppliers  ;)

Gosh, didn't know that and never seen it before (thank goodness roses aren't native to Brazil!)

TheWhiteRabbit

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2014, 19:46 »
I picked up a load of Joan J and Polka bare root raspberries off eBay a couple of weeks back. They were fantastic - great root system and they're rearing to go. They worked out at about £1 to £1.50 per cane inc postage.

Beetroot Queen

« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2014, 20:30 »
I have had mixed results, tayberries did well, blueberries didnt. Its worth a risk but as said above I only picked ones that had green shoots on  :nowink:

xx
Poundland plants

Started by jaydig on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post July 07, 2014, 16:19
by mumofstig
xx
Soft fruit plants that fruit in the same year?

Started by karooba007 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post February 04, 2009, 16:57
by Goosegirl
xx
Fruit on my potatoe plants.

Started by Elling on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post August 18, 2019, 12:34
by Elling
xx
Potato plants from the top fruit

Started by Kathogur on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post April 23, 2017, 19:48
by Kathogur

Page created in 0.424 seconds with 40 queries.