Moon planting

• 61 Replies

devonbarmygardener

• I live, therefore I garden!
Moon planting
« on: April 13, 2012, 00:41 »
Now don't laugh - I'm not a hippy ::)

Has anyone given any thought to moon planting?
I've looked back a few pages and haven't seen a thread about this - sorry if it is a repeat!

If you don't know what this is, basically:
when the moon is new to full - you plant seeds/plants that grow upwards  - ie : brassicas, tomatoes, sweetcorn, lettuce, beans, suash family,  herbs - you get the idea.

when the moon is full to dark (and these dates are in all good diaries) you can plant all plants that grow downwards - all the root crops, potatoes, carrots, parsnips, celeriac - apparently also good for fruit trees (don't ask me why?).

You can get a little obsessed with it and work to the quarters of the moon but even I think obsession isn't healthy!

Now as I say - I'm not a total freak, but my carrots, parsnips, beans and potatoes have done really well when planted at the right times - I'm open to coincidence but whats the harm in trying these things if it helps!!

As a nurse, I know the moon plays with us - we are 70% water and look how the moon affects the tides - so it can affect us - hence the word lunatic (from lunar - ie:moon) and trust me, working nights over the full moon is never good!
So, why can't the moon affect our planting???

You can become obsessed with planting in the right starsign too but to be honest, starsigns have never harnessed me so if you fancy it carry on and good luck! If not, the moon seems to help me - it might help you!

Of course, I'm not perfect - bought some aubergine seeds on Tuesday - planted them today (waning moon) but hey I'm also willing to take a chance against it! Just had to plant them - time is cracking on.

Otherwise I'm very good and will plant some more carrot seeds this week :)

Bright blessings and good wishes on your gardens.
Emma

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Re: Moon planting
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2012, 00:57 »
It was discussed at great length ages ago.

I had a little try, but then forgot which I'd planted by the moon and which was 'normal'.

Some people say its a load of tosh, some people swear by it, but I don't think anyone on here had any success with it.

But if you want to have a go, please do,, and keep us informed!   :) :)

BussinSpain

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2012, 07:24 »
It was discussed at great length ages ago.

I had a little try, but then forgot which I'd planted by the moon and which was 'normal'.

Some people say its a load of tosh, some people swear by it, but I don't think anyone on here had any success with it.

But if you want to have a go, please do,, and keep us informed!   :) :)

I tried a bit of "moon planting" last year but gave up!  If the moon was right, the weather was c**p,  :tongue2: and I did not fancy sowing seeds in the rain or wind.  If I am not going to be happy working in the garden then I am sure that my won't be happy either!  Go with whatever floats your boat  :D  I may try again next year just to see what happens :closedeyes:
Now what shall I do today?

Swing Swang

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2012, 07:35 »
Some people say its a load of tosh
Some people would use much stronger language if the moderators would let them :-)

I'd like to see the results of an independently reviewed double blind crossover trial to be convinced, until then my view is that all comments are anecdotal (at best) or fraudulent (at worst) and need to be viewed with a good dollop of caution/sceptacism.

fatcat1955

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2012, 08:56 »
There is a website called "Moonstrike" for anglers and it predicts when you will catch most fish. So there could be something in it.

annie b

• Thinking of the Days
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2012, 09:23 »
I'm trying biodynamic moon planting this year for the first time .Several friends swear by it.
've bought the calendar....but don't understand the science at all...Worth a go, although it can be restrictive.the proof of the pudding will be in the growing!

Off to the lottie to dig, did and dig -have to put my potatoes in over the weekend!
Thinking of the Days

devonbarmygardener

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2012, 10:01 »
Some people would use much stronger language if the moderators would let them :-)

I'd like to see the results of an independently reviewed double blind crossover trial to be convinced, until then my view is that all comments are anecdotal (at best) or fraudulent (at worst) and need to be viewed with a good dollop of caution/sceptacism.

You're not in medicine are you? Thats the way I've been trained to think over the last decade! :D

Emma

devonbarmygardener

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2012, 10:02 »
There is a website called "Moonstrike" for anglers and it predicts when you will catch most fish. So there could be something in it.

Quite agree. :)

I was just curious, not having been on the site very long.
Apologies for bringing up an old chestnut!

Good luck with the biodynamic moon planting annie b. :)

Emma
« Last Edit: April 13, 2012, 10:05 by devonbarmygardener »

prakash_mib

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2012, 10:10 »
been there seen it for 20 years (in india).
300 million people follow it (thats approximate number of farmers in india - a guess) and still crops fail, farmers commit suicide.

moon do plays important role on human beings and the biology of earth... ask brian cox and he would put an 8 hour long series in bbc. crops dont grow in 15 days of moon cycle.
I would say you need 3 Ps for growing Perseverance, Patience and Prudence. Thats all added to the first thing "hard work"

calendar is for people who investigate the possible causes of crop failure.

and Auntie is still watching from somwhere and soon something will happen to this thread  :)
One kid is handful. Two kids.... Example for chaos theory. Hats off to my mum who managed three...

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2012, 10:11 »
It is a topic that comes up regularly on the forums.  

Numbers of our members have tried it and have told us when they are planting and sowing their crops.  But I can't remember any of them coming back to tell us of their successes or failures or how they compared to "ordinary" plantings.

Perhaps you would do that for us, devonbarmygardener.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2012, 10:12 »
and Auntie is still watching from somwhere and soon something will happen to this thread  :)

Only if it turns into an argument, Prakash  :lol:

devonbarmygardener

« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2012, 11:13 »
 :unsure:

Wow.
Didn't think I'd court such controversy!

I try it most years - not religiously as I said - and seem to get results.
Equally if something fails (like my squashes last year - not one squash) it was probably where I planted them and the weather rather than them failing due to which moon quarter I planted them in!

Herb

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2012, 14:34 »
Equally if something fails (like my squashes last year - not one squash) it was probably where I planted them and the weather rather than them failing due to which moon quarter I planted them in!

Equally, if something is very successful, it's probably down to where you put it than which moon quarter you planted it in.

I'm sceptical about it tbh - but, as mentioned earlier, I'd like to see a proper experiment done on before calling it 'utter tosh'.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2012, 15:08 »

I didn't want to be put on the norty step!   :lol: :lol:

fatcat1955

« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2012, 18:31 »
Another slant on moon planting is carried out in Germany. Gardeners plant by torchlight at night so as not to expose weed seeds to daylight. Then mulch where they have dug. Whatever rock's your boat is ok with me.

xx
Planting by the phases of the moon???

Started by Dotty on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post July 13, 2010, 15:11
by Spana
xx
Planting by the Moon Query?

Started by pol and mick on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post April 16, 2008, 18:34
by Aidy
xx
planting by the light of the moon

Started by king cauli on Grow Your Own

118 Replies
Last post February 06, 2007, 13:35
by John
xx
Kew on BBC2,planting by the moon

Started by Annie on Grow Your Own

32 Replies
Last post March 04, 2007, 07:43
by shaun

Page created in 0.367 seconds with 34 queries.