Sowing Indoors on Window sill - Advice.

• 8 Replies

UrbanG

Sowing Indoors on Window sill - Advice.
« on: March 24, 2010, 18:56 »
Now then, This may be a very stupid question! and if it is you are fully allowed to come back and hammer me :(

When you sow / start off your seeds in pots indoors on the window sill, does it have to have 'direct' sunlight or just 'daylight'? Is there a massive difference?

Basically I have my raised beds sorted and I also have a cold house / unheated greenhouse outside so I have started to 'start off' certain seeds in the window sills in unheated props.
The rear of the house is perfectly facing South so getting sun (when it comes out to play) almost all day. the problem is all my rear window sills are now full   :wacko:

I have my front windows sat with nothing on. Can I sow my seeds on those even tho they will never get any direct sunlight as in rays (only day light)

Hope this makes sence? please go easy on me  :)

Scott
(UrbanG)

1st year at 'proper' veggie gardening with 2x 12ftx4ft raised beds. loads of patio containers, 2 chickens and 1 ferret.

Shadrak

Re: Sowing Indoors on Window sill - Advice.
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2010, 19:02 »
C1_uez5WX1o

Trillium

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2010, 19:07 »
The seedlings would grow but they'd struggle toward any light and not be quite as hardy or healthy as in direct sunlight. You'd get leggier plants, which isn't the ideal. Is it possible to arrange some sort of hanging fluorescent light on a stand for them?
Some folk stand foil- lined cardboard behind the plants so that any light will reflect back into the plants; it isn't the ideal but it is helpful. I've seen one idea where people ran a vertical line of clear Christmas lights on the window which were left on during the day and it worked as well. LED lites would be the better costsaver for power.

8doubles

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2010, 19:11 »
Nice one shadrack. :)

To give new plants the best start you need direct sunlight preferably with a reflector behind to stop the seedlings bending towards the light.
If the the plants try to search for light they get leggy and weak.

UrbanG

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2010, 19:26 »
Hahaha, Great work Shadrack, The best possible way to come back at me by reminding me what I learnt 29 years ago and forgot about now I am getting old..  hehe.

My south facing windows I don't use foil to reflect the sunlight back because I just turn the plants daily. is this still ok?

I'm going to forget about the north facing window sills now, they can stay empty.

Instead I am going to use a tea light / those long burning candle things in my cold house. I have read elsewhere that can work as long as you're carefull with the obvious flame burning safety issue  :ohmy:

Has anyone else used that trick? will it work if I transfer my 2" tom's in that now?

Kthanks

8doubles

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2010, 19:32 »
Turning the plants daily is ok but i would not think of putting toms outside for another month.

Shadrak

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2010, 20:24 »
Useing the tinfoil  as a reflector work's very well for me,l still turn the plants but it does seem to them alot of good.
As for the light l did think it would have to be a uv lamp but if you have that on your window you may get a knock from the drug Squad. :blink: (But lm not all sure about the light)

tam

• Experienced Member
    • The Rabbit House
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2010, 09:48 »
Are they hardy enough types to move out to the greenhouse in the day and back in at night for the warmth? That might get them the extra light.

noshed

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2010, 13:48 »
If you've got them in unheated propagators, they'll be OK in the greenhouse. Just chuck some bubble wrap or fleece over if frost is forecast. I think the light is more important than anything else, as long as the plants don't get frosted.
Most of my (brassica, leek, lettuce and beetroot) seeds have been in my draughty greenhouse and even draughtier cold frame for a week or two. Only my toms are at home on the windowsill.
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

xx
electric window sill propagator

Started by joyce c on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post January 03, 2010, 14:26
by cooperman
xx
Tips for sowing indoors

Started by Kim Taaffe on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post February 21, 2011, 22:20
by Kim Taaffe
xx
When to start sowing indoors?

Started by Shelle on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post January 20, 2008, 16:24
by mushroom
xx
Question about brassicas and sowing indoors

Started by al78 on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post April 14, 2013, 10:51
by LilacSandy

Page created in 0.339 seconds with 36 queries.