What to keep in un-heated greenhouse!

• 6 Replies

Donnay

• Experienced Member
What to keep in un-heated greenhouse!
« on: May 07, 2012, 17:44 »
Hi folks,

I've sown some runner beans, French beans and parsnips. The runners and french beans have poped up, can I now move them into my un-heated greenhouse?

The parsnips have not germinated yet but where is best to keep them before planting out, they are currently in the house!

yorkiegal

• Experienced Member
Re: What to keep in un-heated greenhouse!
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2012, 18:02 »
I've got some french beans in my unheated greenhouse and only two had germinated after 3 weeks so i've just brought them back in again. My runners are still indoors. I tried putting a couple out into the greenhouse last week and they weren't happy about it at all. I'm going to try again but put them back inside at night.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2012, 18:16 »
Parsnips will be fine there - in fact they'd probably prefer to be outdoors.

Beans are very susceptible to the cold.  Don't put them out until you can guarantee they won't be affected by frost - I'd avoid nighttime temps of below 9 or 10 degrees personally.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

the Kergan

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2012, 18:29 »
At the Easter weekend I sowed the following in my unheated greenhouse.
Peas, runner beans, parsnips, brocoli, broad beans, dwarf French beans, leeks, beetroot and lettuce.

All are up and seem happy, some are planted out, some are waiting for warmer weather.
"Your first job is to prepare the soil.  The best tool for this is your neighbor's motorized garden tiller.  If your neighbor does not own a garden tiller, suggest that he buy one."

Donnay

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2012, 20:32 »
Thanks folks, I will move the parsnips to the greenhouse but keep the others indoors for now.x

compostqueen

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2012, 23:11 »
I've not sown any beans yet. I'm going to do direct sowings as my unheated greenhouse is full to bursting already. I made direct sowings last year and they did really well. I just planted more to allow for mice etc

chris

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2012, 00:08 »
i have an unheated greenhouse and have grown plenty in it over the winter months i grew broccoli in there and had strawberry plants in as well

Page created in 0.153 seconds with 38 queries.