I would like some company for my lonely bantam.

• 2 Replies

Mrs Chicken

I would like some company for my lonely bantam.
« on: August 21, 2015, 11:47 »
I am new to chicken keeping. I have acquired my daughters lonely bantam and would like some friends for her, preferably bantams as the coup is not that big. The whole back garden is available to roam and forage in. Would it be best to introduce 1 new bird first then a couple later on, I do not want my bantam to get picked on as she has only just started laying eggs. I was thinking of bantam Orpington as have read they are lovely natured birds.
Advice please.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: I would like some company for my lonely bantam.
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2015, 12:31 »
Hi again  :)

Introductions are always difficult to predict, but if you introduce younger birds, your existing hen should be the one that takes control.  This might change as the newbies grow up.  It might also be advisable to have a plan B for sleeping arrangements for the newbies.  A dog cage on standby in a utility room or shed would be fine.

I would also do any introductions all at once, just to get the pecking order squabbles over in one go.

Bantam orps are lovely - I have 3, but they can be quite big girls and 2 out of my 3 have definite attitude.  What breed is your existing bantam?  If she is small, she might appreciate some companions more her own size if she has to accept several at once  :)

Sassy

Re: I would like some company for my lonely bantam.
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2015, 17:48 »
Good idea to put new birds in after a period of isolation from the new bird and introduce them at night when they are dopey then by morning they should be more used to new smells etc. you may still get some bickering though ::)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

xx
Lonely bantam

Started by thechicken on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post August 02, 2015, 09:59
by thechicken
xx
Lonely Polish Bantam

Started by stanleybobbles on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post April 30, 2012, 21:56
by themagicaltoad1
xx
Glad of your company!

Started by Poolfield2 on The Hen House

48 Replies
Last post December 04, 2008, 21:04
by Evansent
xx
Do chickens need company?

Started by Hedge on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post August 17, 2012, 21:48
by andy46

Page created in 0.227 seconds with 40 queries.