Best fertilizers for container grown strawberries.

• 6 Replies

Grubbypaws

Best fertilizers for container grown strawberries.
« on: April 30, 2023, 16:59 »
On a rainy Bank Holiday Sunday I have been looking in to how best to feed my new Strawberries. There are lots of articles on line which I have tried to bring together and this is what I have come up with. I would love to hear opinions from those who are happily growing their strawberries.

1. Knowing when to fertilize strawberries is key to getting a good harvest. For best results, fertilize strawberries in early spring, and then again in autumn with a balanced 10-10-10 fertilizer (see comment below)

2. Container grown plants will need a high potassium liquid feed, such as tomato feed, from first flowers during their growing season.

OK so then I started looking into balanced 10-10-10 fertilizers which is when my headache began! Growmore 777 has a NPK ratio of 7-.1-5.8 so is high in nityrogen and not balanced  :wacko: Similarly Miracle grow all purpose has a ratio of 24-8-16  :wacko: The closest that I have found to a balanced fertilizer is Vitax Q4 with a ratio of 5.3-7-10.

Why does everyone say to use a 10-10-10 fertilizer when it doesnt exist?
« Last Edit: April 30, 2023, 16:59 by Grubbypaws »

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: Best fertilizers for container grown strawberries.
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2023, 08:15 »
I grow some every year in containers and this year have moved more that way as they seem to do so much better than the same variety planted in raised beds at home.

There is no complicated feeding regime for me I am afraid, but I can tell you what I do.  I tend to repot runners every year and freshen up the compost.  That usually means mixing some of the old compost (which is a John Innes and multi-purpose mix I blend myself) with some new stuff and some chicken manure pellets.  They get going on that in the late summer or autumn, get a top up scattering of chicken manure pellets in spring, then onto tomato feed as soon as I see flowers.

Works for me  :)

Goosegirl

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2023, 08:55 »
I recently transplanted some strawbs and sprinkled BFB around them and all is looking ok so far. I plan to use a liquid tomato feed with seaweed extract when the flower buds appear, along with some dilute molasses as per my OH's wishes which he read in a book by James Wong. We're growing Finesse, Elegance and Mara du Bois.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Offwego

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2023, 22:24 »
A few handfuls of 6x soon brings them on !

Goosegirl

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2023, 09:19 »
A few handfuls of 6x soon brings them on !
Ta. Just got some of that so will give it a go this year.

Wilyingeld

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2024, 00:04 »
I grow some every year in containers and this year have moved more that way as they seem to do so much better than the same variety planted in raised beds at home.

There is no complicated feeding regime for me I am afraid, but I can tell you what I do.  I tend to repot runners every year and freshen up the compost.  That usually means mixing some of the old compost (which is a John Innes and multi-purpose mix I blend myself) with some new stuff and some chicken manure pellets.  They get going on that in the late summer or autumn, get a top up scattering of chicken manure pellets in spring, then onto tomato feed as soon as I see flowers.
I've found some additional info https://studyhelper.com/argumentative-essay-samples.

Works for me  :)

It's crazy how tricky it can be to find that perfect balance. I've also been eyeing Vitax Q4 for my container strawberries.
Anyone else have experience with it?
« Last Edit: March 26, 2024, 11:49 by Wilyingeld »

Goosegirl

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2024, 08:58 »
My strawbs are in concrete blocks which edge my raised beds. They have a centre which is hollow and do very well. I use Vitax Q4 with them with maybe a watering of seaweed feed in mid-season.

xx
Feeding container grown potatoes

Started by Grubbypaws on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post September 02, 2022, 10:33
by Grubbypaws
xx
Feeding container grown potatoes

Started by Grubbypaws on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post June 19, 2016, 08:43
by 3759allen
xx
CAN RHUBARB BE GROWN IN A LARGE CONTAINER

Started by jazzbyrd on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post June 30, 2010, 18:41
by doubledug
xx
The best container grown Tomato Plant that I found.

Started by MichelleC on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post August 27, 2011, 13:11
by shokkyy

Page created in 0.601 seconds with 46 queries.