green manure [Rye Grazing]

• 6 Replies

rowlandwells

green manure [Rye Grazing]
« on: November 21, 2020, 18:31 »
I've  been looking at growing green manures to improve our soil on the allotments i have mentioned this in previous topics talking to a fellow gardener and friend he told me to try growing Rye Grazing as a green manure he said its a good for improving the soil structure

having  recently sowed his  plot with Rye to overwinter he says it good for heavy soils although its not a nitrogen fixer I'm seriously thinking about growing as some of our ground is on the heavy side and anything that improves the soil structure must be worth a try

Potty Plotty Lotty

• https://thelazyallotmenteer.wordpress.com/
Re: green manure [Rye Grazing]
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2020, 07:32 »
It's a bit of a pain to dig in and as it rots down it apparently it stops seeds germinating for a few weeks so you need to allow time for this.

I tried Hungarian grazing rye some years back in my first and second winter on the plot but for me I concluded that it added an extra job at what was already a busy time of the year on the plot so didn't continue.

I seem to recall that the Italian type is meant to be slightly easier to dig in than the Hungarian one that I used.

But as far as green manures go rye is the one that stands and grows slowly through winter so great for protecting the soil and adding structure.

I find the the sowseeds section on green manure very informative: https://www.sowseeds.co.uk/collections/green-manure-seeds

Kleftiwallah

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2020, 10:10 »
I tried sowing Lucerne as an overwintering green manure, I levelled the raised bed, sowed the seed and raked it over.  I now have a growth of Lucerne sprouting in a pile in the centre of the raised bed!  Must try harder on my raking tequnices.

Cheers,  Tony. :(
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2020, 12:46 »
I agree with PPL that it's the devil's own work to dig in hungarian rye.  Mine was about 9" tall in spring when I tried to dig it in.  I was finding clumps of it in the soil weeks and weeks later.  :ohmy:

As long as you're up for the work and give sufficient lead-in time then go for it.  I'm not going to use it again as I'm a lazy so and so!!  :lol:
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

rowlandwells

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2020, 16:33 »
i like these replies because its made me more aware about growing Rye as green manure and although as said it does seem to improve the soil i think I may give that a miss for  the time being and think of something ells in the green manure range that mite do the same job

Thanks all

bobbyt

• Experienced Member
  • Still Learning !
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2021, 15:42 »
Done a bit of research, Phacelia seems to be the way to go for ease of digging in, and over wintering. Trying it at the moment.

rowlandwells

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2021, 16:28 »
i think from your replies I'm going to give the Rye a wide berth this time although I'm still looking for something that will put some goodness back in the ground Phacelia seems worth trying

and although I'm not totally organic i feel there must be an organic manure that organic growers use as an alternative to cattle dung as  we can't seem to get any cattle dung these days because the farmers are either not keeping cattle indoors or the trailers are to big to get into the allotments

but I suppose i am fortunate  that i still have a monthly supply of horse manure but i think cattle manure is a better option so what's the alternative? :unsure:

xx
Green Manure - Grazing Rye - Too Late?

Started by ryetek on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post October 05, 2012, 10:25
by Salmo
xx
Green Compost (Green Manure)

Started by Dirt Diver on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post September 30, 2010, 16:38
by Dirt Diver
xx
Green manure vs animal manure

Started by Jai on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post November 06, 2010, 14:25
by Trillium
xx
Green manure or horse manure?

Started by yorkiegal on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post July 10, 2012, 01:12
by Trillium

Page created in 0.394 seconds with 46 queries.