what to do ?

• 6 Replies

looe-looe-belle

• lohmann brown hybrids = eggs! eggs! eggs!! :)
what to do ?
« on: September 29, 2010, 10:49 »
hello everyone i just wondered when the grass has all been eaten from the run how do you supply the grass? Do hens have to eat grass? I cant move the run either -i have seen some people keep their hens on patios so their hens cant be getting any grass. If hens dont get any grass or green stuff does that mean their egg yolks will be very pale yellow ?
regards Patricia

D

• Experienced Member
  • Bella
Re: what to do ?
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2010, 12:46 »
I have a large run about 36 metres squared for 13 chickens. I have split my coop straight down the middle. This means that while the hens are in one half of the coop, the other half is recoperating. After a few weeks I swop sides over and let the birds have a go at the other half! If you've got enough space you could do this as well.

alancane

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2010, 12:48 »
Can you let them roam around the garden?
Alan

orchardlady

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2010, 12:48 »
You can offer your lawn clippings sparingly but they soon go rancid so make sure any that are left are cleared away. There are many people here who use a deep litter system in their runs and I'm sure they will offer help there. If you don't have anything on the runs floor the ground will become hen sick and poisoned and generally be a mud bath now the winter is coming. Yes the yolks will be pale if you don't offer green food. Either ask you local green grocer for their 'trimmings' or buy a couple of cabbages a week and hang them in the run. The hens will spend a great deal of time pecking at the cabbages, it's fun to watch and will give your birds something to 'do' rather than get bolshy with each other.I'm quite convinced that a large proportion of feather pecking problems can be attributed to boredom. Prevention is much easier than cure. Make sure all discarded food (layers pellets, uneaten greens etc) are cleaned up regularly or you will be opening the restaurant doors to rats, mice, disease and universal unpopularity with your neighbours! As I'm fortunate enough to keep my hens free range on grass they don't suffer from the problems that being confined can cause. Make life in the run as interesting as possible for your hens. Some people hang up old CDs that revolve and move in the wind, others put perches in the runs and buckets to hide in, a wedge of wood to play King of the Castle on etc. Think like a zoo keeper you are wanting to enrich their environment a much as possible and it's easy enough to do. You will then be repaid with happy healthy garden hens who reward your efforts with the most wonderful eggs. Happy hen keeping.

looe-looe-belle

• lohmann brown hybrids = eggs! eggs! eggs!! :)
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2010, 13:00 »
hello can you tell me what a deep litter system is please ?

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2010, 16:08 »
hello can you tell me what a deep litter system is please ?
Here is an easy explantion for you.... http://smallfarm.about.com/od/farmanimals/a/deeplitter.htm
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

Sassy

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2010, 08:44 »
Do be careful offering lawn clippings. Grass begins to break down immediately it is cut and starts to heat up. You could give them tummy ache at the very least.
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

Page created in 0.2 seconds with 30 queries.