Prolapse

• 16 Replies

Mother-Hen

• Experienced Member
Prolapse
« on: April 18, 2012, 20:21 »
Evening,
I've just got back from milking and noticed that one of my rescue girls had a very dirty bum and on further investigation she had prolapsed.
I have given her a bath and gently pushed it back in but there was a small amount of blood which concerned me a little as I have done this sort of thing before but never had blod before. Is this normal or should I be very concerned?
She is a basket in the a quiet place at the moment, and I have purple sprayed her as well. I will leave her there until the morning. She is perky and eating fine.
Thanks in advance

Nicky
Sometimes you have to accept that somedays you are the pigeon and somedays you are the statue!

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
Re: Prolapse
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2012, 20:37 »
Not something I have come across before but I read this and hope it is of help to you.

www.chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=9858.0
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

Mother-Hen

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2012, 21:04 »

Thank you ANHBUC for your prompt reply. I think what I will do is take her to the vets after milking in the morning if it has popped back out.
I have been having some extraordinarily large eggs over the last week and now I think I have found the culprit!

Thanks again
Nicky

ANHBUC

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2012, 14:40 »
Hope that she has improved today.  Nothing you can do about the large eggs, just a side effect of the breeding to get a high yield I suspect.   :(

Mother-Hen

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2012, 20:26 »
Vet didn't hold out much hope, but I refuse to give up on her just yet. She is not in any pain and is eating well. I have just given her a warm bath and blow dry.Popped it back in and has stayed in again. Am going to try germiod cream.
So long as she is in no pain, eating and is perky I will continue with this routine until she is right.

Nicky

ANHBUC

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2012, 11:41 »
There have been quite a few threads on the subject and most have been successful so fingers crossed for your hen.   :)

Mother-Hen

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2012, 11:44 »
Have kept her in and away from the others. She seems to have passed a lot of fluid which makes me think she may have had an egg inside even though I couldn't feel one.

She is eating and drinking well and is still perky enough, will bath, blow and cream again tonight

Thanks
Nicky

ANHBUC

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2012, 12:02 »
Was the fluid like egg white?  If so that is not a good sign.  You can keep her in the warm bath for half an hour or so as this may help her pass the rest of the egg.  If it was a soft shelled egg you might not have been able to feel it.  You could trying to increase her calcium intake in case it is softies which are hard for them to lay.

ehs284

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2012, 13:46 »
Early in our chicken-keeping we had a sick bird with a prolapse. The vet didn't know what to do except separate us from £50. Eventually treated by cleaning with warm water and putting sugar on the prolapse. After a while the prolapse shrank and could be pushed in and stay in.
Bird lived a couple of years quite happily after that.

Mother-Hen

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2012, 20:10 »
Evening,

When you say sugar ehs284, is that a syrup or just granulated sugar?
I am willing to try anything as she is fine in herself and quite enjoying the warm baths me thinks.
Thank you
Nicky

ehs284

« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2012, 08:02 »
Granulated sugar. During this period she was quite unwell and was kept warm and away from the others. The sugar works by taking the fluid out of the swelling allowing the reduced prolapse to be pushed in with less difficulty. It probably also reduces the number of bacteria on the prolapse. HTH

kegs

« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2012, 10:05 »

Mother-Hen

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2012, 20:52 »
Thank you for all your help and advice, I have to say that after only a couple of days the prolapse is definitely looking a little better.
BB as we call her is certainly enjoying the bath and blow dry treatment and the extra attention. At the moment things are looking good. So will keep you posted.
Thanks again
Nicky

ANHBUC

« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2012, 21:52 »
That is good news Nicky.  Thanks for keeping us updated.   :)

themagicaltoad1

« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2012, 20:00 »
I've read that about sugar on a proloapse in one of the James Herriot vet books, although it was a cow he was treating but I imagine it would work the same on a chicken.

xx
prolapse in hen

Started by darcyhen on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post April 19, 2010, 22:56
by darcyhen
xx
Hen prolapse

Started by Bubbles5 on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post May 29, 2021, 08:53
by New shoot
xx
Prolapse

Started by Beano on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post June 11, 2012, 09:35
by Beano
xx
Prolapse

Started by Chicken Pete on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post April 04, 2011, 14:42
by PaulineM

Page created in 0.241 seconds with 40 queries.