does anyone grow veg for showing>?

• 12 Replies

rowlandwells

does anyone grow veg for showing>?
« on: March 06, 2019, 09:34 »
we have a yearly veg show and its not only a bit of fun but  monies raised at this show all goes to local charities

so i bought a book for a biginner guide to growing and showing vegetables an optamist or what we have managed to win first prise marrow for two years and i whant to try my hand at something ells not quite sure what to go for?

so once again ask the question does anyone out there grow for showing and any tips would be helpfull we had a chap that used to win every year with his giant onions and they where giants sadly he passed away last year so there is an opertunity   for someone to grow and show onions given the rite variety and knowledge of how to grow giant onions  :D

we always get the jibe about growing marrows so any othere veg  we could grow would be a bonus especially if we won something with another veg  :D

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
Re: does anyone grow veg for showing>?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2019, 09:41 »
Yes I have done so for a few years now, but only in our local Show, albeit quite a large one.

Onions … it is a bit late now for growing giant onions from seed but if that is what you hanker after, then several seed suppliers sell young plants of suitable varieties and there should still be some available. They arrive end of April or thereabouts ready for potting up individually and then planting out once conditions are suitable. Other onions classes can be managed with set grown onions if you treat them nicely.

Just remember not to plant them into freshly manured soil, but if your bed for them isn't ready yet, a good dollop of home made compost now, and some seaweed meal bedore your plant them out wouldn't hurt

Potatoes are always a fair bet too, especially second earlies
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

rowlandwells

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2019, 14:15 »
 I take your point  sunshineband about growing show onions I have some onions plants I grew to overwinter Kosma and Toughball I also have some onion sets Turbo although I was intending to grow Globo but I couldn't find the seed at the time

I also bought some exhibition seed from DT Brown and some [Robinson's] mammoth red and mammoth if I sow the seed now would they produce a large enough  onion in time for the show  because the veg show is not till end of August ?

also I  had thought about potatoes I'm growing Cara foremost Picasso  and Winston down the allotments and we usually get good solid potatoes of that ground so that could be a possible?

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2019, 15:23 »
The "overwintering" onions are Japanese varieties and make very good onions. I like the shape of Toughball in particular. I am not sure that they grow really huge though... you'll have to let us know.

It is always worth giving things a go, and althought it might be a bit late for growing enormous onions from seed sown now, with encouragement you might get some nice ones.

Are you only planning on showing onions?

rowlandwells

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2019, 17:38 »
 thanks for that SB Il keep you posted PS. I did cut back a little those overwintering onions as they where getting damaged when I moved them fingers crossed

digger1

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2019, 09:41 »
I am  a member of our local Gardening society and rent an allotment. I do enter into the village show but I don't grow for the show.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2019, 10:10 »
I am  a member of our local Gardening society and rent an allotment. I do enter into the village show but I don't grow for the show.

That is me really too, except for last year when I got hooked on trying to grow large onions. I blame New Shoot for introducing me to Globo (Which is our house are called Globb-oh)

I do like seeing the best of what I've grown displayed at its best on the bench though.. kind of a celebration of the season. I also enter preserves too, for the same reason
« Last Edit: March 08, 2019, 10:11 by sunshineband »

Mr Dog

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2019, 21:58 »
I take your point  sunshineband about growing show onions I have some onions plants I grew to overwinter Kosma and Toughball I also have some onion sets Turbo although I was intending to grow Globo but I couldn't find the seed at the time

I also bought some exhibition seed from DT Brown and some [Robinson's] mammoth red and mammoth if I sow the seed now would they produce a large enough  onion in time for the show  because the veg show is not till end of August ?

also I  had thought about potatoes I'm growing Cara foremost Picasso  and Winston down the allotments and we usually get good solid potatoes of that ground so that could be a possible?

I grew a few Exhibition last year with the intention of entering them into my local show. Other events prevented me from actually doing that but they were large, good looking onions and good for eating ('quick' pickled with cheese on crusty bread being a favourite way). I've got some on the go again this year (more than last) for eating only as I'm pretty sure the show will be on a day I can't make.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2019, 12:53 by sunshineband »

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2019, 12:54 »
I am always surprised some people think all exhibition vegetables will not be tasty... our large onions were excellent eating too!

snowdrops

« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2019, 07:17 »
I don’t growto show but I do show some of what I grow at our garden clubs show,if that makes sense. I tend to have a look at the schedule & see if I’ve got anything growing that fits the bill. The real show growers check dates of the shows they want to enter & sow & plant accordingly it seems. We had a chap give a talk at our social meetings & they are very earnest & dediated. I honestly don’t think I’d have a family if I became that obsessed with it all. I have won a few firsts ,sometimes on things that I’ve entered thinking I’ve no chance, for instance last year 4 white potatoes, you could have knocked me down with a feather. I just happened to have harvested some & thought hmm they look the same size,good shape,no blemishes.
Not sure about this year as I’m now chair of our garden club & I’ll be busy all day with the show I think, so might struggle to exhibit, apart from preserves that just need plonking in the right area.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

snowdrops

« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2019, 07:20 »
I don’t grow to show but I do show some of what I grow at our garden clubs show,if that makes sense. I tend to have a look at the schedule & see if I’ve got anything growing that fits the bill. The real show growers check dates of the shows they want to enter & sow & plant accordingly it seems. We had a chap give a talk at our social meetings & they are very earnest & dediated. I honestly don’t think I’d have a family if I became that obsessed with it all. I have won a few firsts ,sometimes on things that I’ve entered thinking I’ve no chance, for instance last year 4 white potatoes, you could have knocked me down with a feather. I just happened to have harvested some & thought hmm they look the same size,good shape,no blemishes.
Not sure about this year as I’m now chair of our garden club & I’ll be busy all day with the show I think, so might struggle to exhibit, apart from preserves that just need plonking in the right area.
6D1B3D71-44B2-4360-8180-B1F74EA66E4A.jpeg
06B61571-035F-4047-B4BC-990468E2B556.jpeg
EE7CA9B5-0231-4C15-A251-B95CF4FDCFB7.jpeg

digger1

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2019, 13:48 »
I'm like you, if it looks good I will enter it. I have a blackberry bush and entered 6 years in a row and won first prize 4 out of 6 years. I have entered the veg section and flower sections with some success.

rowlandwells

« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2019, 14:03 »
that really sounds good Mr Dog crusty bread home baked of cause with real butter nice piece of blue cheese a not to strong onion a sweet Spanish will do very nice all washed down with a pint of best bitter  :D :D

xx
Showing Jam

Started by jamima on The Show Bench

4 Replies
Last post September 04, 2010, 11:33
by Spana
xx
showing veg

Started by drmoonshine on The Show Bench

7 Replies
Last post October 05, 2010, 12:48
by drmoonshine
xx
Showing Jam

Started by MoreWhisky on The Show Bench

2 Replies
Last post August 29, 2010, 21:56
by MoreWhisky
xx
help with garlic showing

Started by Sue32 on The Show Bench

2 Replies
Last post July 03, 2012, 13:36
by Sue32

Page created in 0.143 seconds with 53 queries.