Sweetcorn

• 14 Replies

claireveg

Sweetcorn
« on: July 15, 2011, 09:36 »
Hello,
I am growing sweetcorn for the first time this year, I have had really good success so far.
I planted out in May into pots about 8 inches deep but I head you need at least 10 inches for sweetcorn to grow taller is this true? or a myth?

Also I have found that sweetcorn is ready to harvest in August and I do not have any tassells yet? should I be worried?
« Last Edit: July 15, 2011, 09:44 by DD. »

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Re: Sweetcorn
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2011, 09:45 »
Hi Claire, welcome to the forums.

I've split your post off the thread you tagged it onto, as that was over 2 years old.

Never grown pot sweetcorn, so maybe someone can help there.

August is a bit early to expect it to be ready.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Kleftiwallah

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2011, 10:50 »

Do you have any spare ground to transplant your sweetcorn into?  If so, do it.  If not the bigger pot the better and don't forget, they need lots of water while in pots.    Cheers,   Tony.
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

TerryB

• Winner of the Tallest Sunflower Competition - 2011
  • Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2011, 16:03 »
Never grown sweetcorn in pots but planted my first lot out undercover on the plot in April.
They have had tassells on them for about 2 weeks so hope they may be ready at the start of Aug.
If yours took the same time they should be ready in Sep.
Sweetcorn roots don't go deep but as said you will need to keep them well watered.
Remember to keep the pots close to each other for pollination.

gobs

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2011, 21:45 »
I have never grown sweet corn in pots either, but heve seen some successfully doing so, in big pots, 8-10 inch does not sound a huge difference. And, as everybody says, it's early a bit to expect any action.
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

claireveg

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2011, 08:15 »
Hello,
Sorry for my late reply. I didn't know where my forum message went, so I had to navigate here.

I have moved all my sweetcorn into 80 litre storage boxes and with the rain we are having this week, I have not watered at night as well for fear of water logging them.

The plants have coped with the move much better than expected and I have seen more leaves growing. I will try and attach a photo soon so you can see what stage they are at. The stems are quite thick I would say 1cm thick and they have about 5 - 7 leaves sprouting out per plant.

I have put both boxes together for pollenation.

The reason for planting in pots, is that we only have a small garden and the house is rented so I didn't want to make the land lady unhappy for turning her back garden into the 'The Good Life' garden.

Thanks once again for your help.

lucywil

• http://ourallotments.blogspot.com/
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2011, 08:53 »
if the stems are 1cm thick they still sound quite small, they should get bigger than that but having said that i have never grown it in pots. were abouts i the country are you because that can determin how well sweetcorn grows

simonwatson

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2011, 16:08 »
I am growing my sweetcorn in pots this year. 5 to a 20L pot. They are all about 5 feet tall now (I started them early in the greenhouse) and all look like producing 2 cobs each.

Last year I had good results from 1 plant in a 12L pot. They grew nice and tall and the soil was at best 8 inches deep.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2011, 18:01 »
Just to double check - you do have drainage holes in the storage boxes, don't you?
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

claireveg

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2011, 10:18 »
Hello,
Yes I have drainage holes in the plastic storage boxes, we used a drill bit to make 9 holes in the bottom.

claireveg

« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2011, 10:18 »
I live in the south east of England, Surrey.

bigben

« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2011, 11:35 »
I live in the south east of England, Surrey.
You dont need to apologise :)

claireveg

« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2011, 09:22 »
Hi All,

New Update!

Since replanting my sweetcorn in those big tubs, the green on the leaves is as green as the background of this website. They have grown really tall and bigger, stronger leaves are appearing.

on average how many leaves before the tassels start?

Debz

« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2011, 09:54 »
They grow sweetcorn in growbags in the glasshouse in Pollok Park in Glasgow.  They are taller than me and have plenty of cobs on so I'm not sure about needing a big pot for growing them in.

claireveg

« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2011, 13:32 »
Hi Debz,

Thanks for that.

I just want tassels on mine now then I know they are heading in the right direction.

xx
sweetcorn

Started by crowndale on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post April 19, 2007, 17:47
by flowerlady
xx
How is your sweetcorn doing so far?

Started by JayG on Grow Your Own

65 Replies
Last post August 11, 2011, 11:50
by waddecar
xx
Which sweetcorn.

Started by Elaine G on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post April 26, 2017, 21:12
by Urbanite
xx
Sweetcorn

Started by Phoenix on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post August 02, 2006, 12:30
by Phoenix

Page created in 0.312 seconds with 34 queries.