Potatoes in dustbins

• 8 Replies

Petediscord

Potatoes in dustbins
« on: May 10, 2007, 05:31 »
Have planted spuds in dustbins for the 1st time since feb, all spuds had chitted nicely beforehand. Cut holes in bottom of 2 different bins for an xperiment, 1 black plastic and the other metal.

Black plastic has done phenomal,about to flower, metal only half of the bin is 3/4 tall  !?

Hve been watering heavily and filling with soil up to top of growth when required, happy with black plastic - is there anything can be be done for the metal ?Im in North Kent ( not many peeps down here know about spuds in bins!) Cheers 8)
Put The Kettle On Luv

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
Potatoes in dustbins
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2007, 08:48 »
Pete, I am assuming you would like both ready at the same time? If it was me I would carry on so you get a little bit of a gap between them, are they new spuds or are you growing them as main crop?
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
Potatoes in dustbins
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2007, 11:34 »
If you want to speed up the metal bin then I would wrap it in black plastic as this will help absorb the heat from the sun better than the reflective metal, this is I suspect why you have such a difference in growth, also the plastic bin would hold on to it's heat better than the metal one. That's the theory anyway   :wink:
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

Trillium

Potatoes in dustbins
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2007, 16:16 »
It's possible you've been watering too much, hence the rapid growth in the plastic bin. Spuds need some water but not a lot or you get masses of leaf growth with little underneath. You can give the plants some liquid feed but cut back on the excessive watering. Just because the metal bin is slower, doesn't mean you're not getting a lot of spuds. Only time will tell.

Jake

• Rockers
Potatoes in dustbins
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2007, 18:59 »
Quote from: "Trillium"
It's possible you've been watering too much, hence the rapid growth in the plastic bin. Spuds need some water but not a lot or you get masses of leaf growth with little underneath. You can give the plants some liquid feed but cut back on the excessive watering. Just because the metal bin is slower, doesn't mean you're not getting a lot of spuds. Only time will tell.

Oh hell. Erm....how much is too much water. I was giving my container spuds a lot of water because I thought they'd need more than in the ground ones.

I'm only doing container spuds this year. :?
first there is a mountain then there is no mountain then there is

Trillium

Potatoes in dustbins
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2007, 20:26 »
Potatoes will take all the water they can get, but it does the tubers no good. From your description, I'd stop watering for a month. If you pinch dry soil between your fingers and it stays together, then there's water enough still. Otherwise, just have the soil slightly damp after watering and wait 2 weeks, maybe more.

Jake

• Rockers
Potatoes in dustbins
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2007, 20:29 »
Thanks

glad I was late planting them now.

shaun

Potatoes in dustbins
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2007, 21:33 »
ive cropped mine i couldnt wait anylonger,a bit on the small size but very nice  8)
i had 3 plants in a bucket and needed 2 buckets for the 4 of us.
feed the soil not the plants
organicish
you learn gardening by making mistakes

Petediscord

Potatoes in dustbins
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2007, 12:05 »
many thanks everyone - shall try black plastic wrap and a little less water for my earlies
cheers
 :wink:

xx
GROWING POTATOES IN STANDARD SIZE BLACK DUSTBINS!!

Started by jazzbyrd on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post May 19, 2009, 13:30
by cAnAry53
xx
Top Soil and Plastic Dustbins

Started by Batesy on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post November 10, 2017, 11:58
by Batesy
xx
Are dustbins any good for growing spuds in?

Started by Kagganz on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post December 11, 2008, 17:34
by happy chick
xx
Supermarket potatoes using as seed potatoes

Started by Rotorvator on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post March 10, 2024, 17:18
by snowdrops

Page created in 0.38 seconds with 34 queries.