New allotment

• 9 Replies

robmac

New allotment
« on: December 17, 2008, 20:04 »
I have just taken ownership of my allotment, my first. It is covered in grass at the moment and I was wondering what the best thing to do is.
Cover it for a year?
Spray with chemicals?
Dig it up?
I'm just not sure what to do, any advice would be welcome.
Thanks in advance.
Rob.

Ygerna

New allotment
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2008, 20:46 »
I got my new allotment in November. It too is overgrown. I started trying to clear it with sheer hard work but have quickly decided to go down the blast with chemicals route. I am now waiting till spring to do that.

each to their own though for everyone who says that they will use chemicals you will find another who says cover it and another who says hard graft is the way to go.

Good luck and congrats on your Lottie :D

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
New allotment
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2008, 20:51 »
Hi Rob welcome to the forums  :D

I'm a chemical bloke myself, but that's a wait for the spring job, don't waste your time or money doing it now.
take time to wander around your plot now have a good look at all that grass is it annual clump forming or a perennial couch grass. If it's annual you can indeed dig it in turn it upside down at the bottom of each spit full.

John has a great article on clearing plots Here's a link

Most of all enjoy. :)
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

fatbelly

New allotment
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2008, 08:47 »
I favoured the cover and dig as you go method with my overgrown plot , but like you say each to their own.

If you do some digging now you will start to get a feel for your soil and what it needs. there is no right answer but did you get your plot solely to provide food for the table in which case wait till next spring or do you like me want to get outside and enjoy doing something and also put food on your table in which case get down the plot and start digging.

Even in this cold weather i do down to my plot when not working take a radio and flask down with me and enjoy the solitude and watching the birdlife on my feeder whilst I am digging.  :D
99% Organic and 1% Slug Pellets.

Allotment holder since 27th May 2007.

robmac

New allotmant
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2008, 18:03 »
Thanks to you all for your advice/comments.
I'm going to dig it out, or at least start to anyway!!
I'll keep you posted on how I get on.
Thanks again,
Rob.

plotandy

New allotment
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2008, 20:38 »
Hi, Just got my allotment this Oct. faced with lots of grass, thankfully not much worse, decided to remove the grass and the top inch of soil (using this to build a compost heap in the corner) then once removed just single dug it. The plan is to do a bit at a time, and by spring should have enough to start planting in.

Janeymiddlewife

New allotment
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2008, 22:54 »
Hi RObmac - have a plot just like yours by the sound of it! i am slowly digging out mostly clumps of grass, fortunately not much couch, and composting it - although may be slowed down as my wheel barrow finally gave up the ghost today :cry:  Will have to get on with it now as I've ordered some raspberries & strawberries which I want to plant in the middle - have another 6x10 foot stretch to go before i can plant 'em, so fingers crossed they don't comeuntill the New Year!! Hoping to get a lot done in the next 2 weeks
Good luck!

MoreWhisky

New allotment
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2008, 11:26 »
Reading all this thread with intrest seems alot of us in the same boat at the moment.

Nice link Richyrich have been thinkin best way to go about it for few weeks now most helpfull.

Have decided to cover method and do a bit at a time. So whats the best/cheapest covering material to use ? and also where to i go to buy this stuff? If anyone can point me in right direction that be great.
I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany.

noshed

New allotment
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2008, 16:08 »
You often find that blue builders' plastic sheeting in skips. But you can use cardboard boxes flattened out and held down with bricks or milk containers full of water. And the cardboard rots so you can dig that in as well.
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
New allotment
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2008, 17:09 »
MW, I posted this on your welcome thread but you may have missed it, so apologies for repeating myself.

If you're actually looking for weed suppressant mulch, Barnitts in York certainly until recently had a good deal on this.  1.2m (I think) x 13m for £5.  It's pre-rolled and packaged, standing in a circular bin just to the left of the horizontal loose fabrics.

I've got some, though haven't yet used it so can't say how thin or substantial it will be.

I also got some heavy-duty woven stuff for paths from Brunswick Organic Nurseries, or Pextons should be able to stock something once Christmas is out of the way.  After that, there's always the big sheds like B&Q on Hull Road.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

xx
My allotment

Started by durham_lass on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post December 01, 2007, 10:18
by sweet nasturtium
xx
We Got an Allotment!

Started by Matthew Gayles on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post April 05, 2011, 21:58
by Nikkithefoot
xx
New allotment help please

Started by Debbiem on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post August 01, 2010, 20:48
by Ice
xx
JUST GOT MY FIRST ALLOTMENT

Started by nickthegreek on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post August 24, 2009, 21:42
by Yorkie

Page created in 0.36 seconds with 32 queries.