Fingers crossed for news on the JRT front...

• 9 Replies

Growster...

Fingers crossed for news on the JRT front...
« on: January 26, 2022, 12:17 »
Got a lovely story to tell, and all will be revealed on Saturday...

GraciesGran

Re: Fingers crossed for news on the JRT front...
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2022, 07:35 »
Today's the day!!!!!

How exciting.

AndyRVTR

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2022, 08:17 »
It's Saturday... we're waiting with baited breath!  :D

Growster...

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2022, 05:50 »
Yup, fabulous day!

It's quite a long story...

We're having a new walk-in shower fitted, as the old one had a step which isn't easy to get over! We're using Orange Badge as the contractor, as there's some more building work to do, and they did the lot! We liked them as they fitted a stairlift for great value and style, so we got them in for more work, and I'll certainly recommend them as they are only in Lewes, but go everywhere down this way, and they got on well with us too, so that was OK!

Last Monday, we had a call to tell us that the glass screen fitter had hurt his back, and I'm not surprised as those panels are darned heavy, and he'd carted them upstairs on his own! On Tuesday, it was the same, so we had a chat and I asked them if anyone else could get here at such short notice, and they really came up trumps, and sure enough, a fitter arrived an hour or solater, to finish the job!

Now, as he had to keep darting in and out to his van, he had to ask if we had any pets, and we had to tell him, 'no - as of last year' and why, and he said he knew what it was like as they'd lost three chums in a year, so we were both standing there, wondering what to do next!

And then he asked what our situation was, as he'd heard of a friend who was talking about returning a JRT to the charity, (Help4paws), even this week! These owners already had a dog, which they they thought needed another chum, and are lovely people, doing what they could for their pets, but it didn't work out somehow, so there we were!

There were several phone calls, emails etc., later, and the next day, a few quid passed from one bank to another, and by Friday, all was settled to collect our new girl, and yesterday, I picked up Lily from Littlehampton, and she's just gorgeous!

She's mostly Jack Russell, with a few more similar bits from somewhere or other. She's a Romanian rescue dog, and had a brother and sister, and has more of the style of a big Parson's JRT, and I can only just lift her as she's a quite a puppy - ten months old!

She's a bit anxious still, and the two-hour journey can't have been fun, but we made it! We're letting her use her cage downstairs, as she feels secure in it, but we've never had to let a dog use one before so are learning what's best - even after only eighteen hours!

I'll get some pics up as soon as I can, but didn't want the flash to upset her, as anything like that makes her jump, which is understandable, after the insecurity of losing her mum, then a closed van ride across from The Balkans, then a spell in kennels here, then a new home, and now here at 'The Turrets'! I know I'd be a bit fed up having to cope with all that over such a short short time! Luckily, we're all pretty sure that she didn't have the awful conditions that so many poor dogs have suffered over there.

So I'm up this early as I heard a few soft barks, but we've had our first cuddle, several licks, a few tail-wags and 'bonding' is just starting! She took to Mrs Growster as soon as she walked in of course...!

GraciesGran

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2022, 07:10 »
Missyv, my staffie, sends her love to you all, as do I.  It must be very strange for her but tail wags and licks show you are on the right track.  A friend has a rescue from cyprus and apart from a dislike of loud noises she's getting on like a house on fire.

Look forward to pictures.

Goosegirl

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2022, 11:46 »
I'm so very chuffed for you and love her name. I'm sure she'll soon realise she's on to a good thing at The Turrets, and no doubt will get spoiled to bits - and so she should.  ::) ;) :)
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

snowdrops

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2022, 12:08 »
Lovely story Mr G, I’m so pleased for you,Mrs G & of course Lilly.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Growster...

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2022, 12:18 »
Thank you All!

She's certainly a strong dog, and is still very nervous, but we got a twenty-minute walk in this morning, and there's a great YouTube from the US on training dogs like Lily right from the start, so we're on the case!

grinling

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2022, 14:47 »
try to find a local trainer as they will help you to intergrate your dog with others. We have a few rescue dogs in the village, 1 is still not able to meet any other dog and it has been 4 years.
My dog is very good at reading other dog body language and is so gentle with our more nervous dogs.

Growster...

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2022, 17:08 »
Good advice, Grinling, thank you!

xx
No fingers required...

Started by Growster... on Chatting on the Plot

12 Replies
Last post February 03, 2021, 07:57
by Growster...
xx
Fingers itching?

Started by New shoot on Chatting on the Plot

15 Replies
Last post February 12, 2018, 18:26
by Growster...
clip
Green Fingers?

Started by Pescador on Chatting on the Plot

0 Replies
Last post October 15, 2018, 09:32
by Pescador
xx
How to see news one really wants...

Started by Growster... on Chatting on the Plot

21 Replies
Last post December 03, 2018, 15:35
by jdwmk

Page created in 0.136 seconds with 44 queries.