Just opened a jar of cucumbers.....

• 1 Replies

tosca100

• New start, new life in BG
Just opened a jar of cucumbers.....
« on: September 29, 2013, 13:28 »
When our lovely neighbour kept sending us cucumbers in the summer I had problems knowing what to do with them. (We had tzatziki every day!) After asking and researching I peeled and cut into batons six of them and after salting them, pickled them with sweet vinegar with pickling spice, a sprig of fennel and a vine leaf (supposed to stop them going too limp) along with another jar of sliced done the same. Opened a jar of batons today and was pleasantly surprised. Apart from being hideously salty (must check next tome) they were actually really nice and not as flabby as I thought they would be. Will definitely do some more next year, but this lot are unfortunately on the compost heap, along with the sliced which were slimey. The chutney was revolting, mainly due to celery salt...yeuch!

So although it seems like a disaster, I like to think of it as a lesson learned. Luckily vinegar and sugar are cheap, and I needed a couple of jars for some more quince jelly, so all good. :)

Trillium

Re: Just opened a jar of cucumbers.....
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2013, 20:09 »
It's terrible that these things go to waste, but it's how we learn. One year I used cider vinegar on my pickles and they were horrid, all soft in the centre and yukky. Turns out cider vinegar isn't acidic enough for cukes so I'll never repeat that one again. When I switched to regular vinegar, they all turned out well.

At least you don't have extra help, like at minute 3 HERE    :lol: :lol:

xx
Shelf life of food once opened

Started by Finrodfelagund on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

4 Replies
Last post October 29, 2011, 17:55
by cheshirecheese
xx
Cucumbers

Started by tosca100 on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

8 Replies
Last post June 27, 2013, 17:53
by tosca100
xx
Cucumbers

Started by seashell on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

8 Replies
Last post August 05, 2021, 09:48
by Subversive_plot
xx
What to do with all my cucumbers!!!

Started by ian.ford on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

8 Replies
Last post September 11, 2010, 09:36
by boosh

Page created in 0.128 seconds with 33 queries.