orientation

• 3 Replies

The Golden Heap

• Experienced Member
orientation
« on: May 24, 2012, 15:40 »
I have some gaps to fill on my patch where I was successional sowing onions and gralic ect, these patches were left bare, I want to plant sweetcorn in one in a block of 8 running north to south and a runner bean patch about ten plants running east to west?

The bed is onioin and garlic and some parts will be shaded at parts of the day?

Any thoughts? is this ok?

Trillium

Re: orientation
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2012, 17:35 »
Corn really does best in full sun but you can always try and see what happens. Give it the spot with the longest sun.

Runners also need lots of sun but will tolerate a bit more of shade.

Neither veg seems to have a problem with growing where alliums were, but corn is a very heavy feeder so it would be ideal to add more rotted manure (if you have it) or compost to its planting area before sowing.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2012, 18:05 »
Are you planning on putting the corn in a single line?  If so, you're reducing the chances of successful pollination.  Far better to grow in a block of 4x2, for example.

I had always read that beans do not like growing alongside onions (as opposed to the following year) - the onions give off something in the soil which makes the beans grow less vigorously.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

The Golden Heap

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2012, 19:39 »
ooh thanks guys, the shade will be on the onion and garlic not the corn or runners which will get full sun.  I wondered around the allotment today to get an idea and forget a split audience there is soo many ways and layouts.  There was a chao today planting early potatoes , which I gather from previous posts get em all in the ground quick, also onions as well I swapped some sets i had not planted for some asparagus?!

xx
Sweetcorn leaf orientation. . .

Started by Kleftiwallah on Grow Your Own

25 Replies
Last post May 13, 2012, 22:51
by Lawrence

Page created in 0.354 seconds with 38 queries.