Lottery Ticket Jack Pot!!

• 96 Replies

prakash_mib

Re: Lottery Ticket Jack Pot!!
« Reply #30 on: September 27, 2010, 10:11 »
Well, even without hooking in I suppose we can relax in the lap of luxury living off the rent. Seriously though, the economics of land and property are seriously skewed.

Just realised - can't hook into the electric. You need a qualified electrician to certify the work  :ohmy:
have a look at this john. It is possible and this is a norm in india. farmers/general people steal electricity. But Remember there are casualties.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/matthieu-aubry/521614953/
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/4802248.stm
« Last Edit: September 27, 2010, 10:13 by prakash_mib »
One kid is handful. Two kids.... Example for chaos theory. Hats off to my mum who managed three...

Spana

« Reply #31 on: September 27, 2010, 10:22 »
For a national average wage of £26,000 pa, you'd need about 700 acres at that rate!

Thats it in a nut shell John ::)

For most of us so called farmers its break even if you are lucky.  
We have had to  subsidise the farming side every year since we have been here, but we look at the whole thing as one and the life style makes up for a lot :happy:

Down here you'd need 3 million to buy such a place as 700acres and even at todays low interest rate thats a very poor return on that sort of money.  I suppose you would have the appreciation on the property but thats not guaranteed.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #32 on: September 27, 2010, 10:47 »
Wow Prakash - that is scary

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #33 on: September 27, 2010, 11:18 »
Prakash - that's shocking  :D

Spana - the problem as I see it is that the economics of farming are twisted. Watching some farming videos, you could be forgiven thinking you were watching an episode of Top Gear. Huge combines, multiple tractor / trailer combinations servicing them etc.

Of course we can't go back to the horse for horsepower (or could we?) but our reliance on economies of scale and high oil use are dangerous in the longer term as oil is only going to get more expensive.

It's a sad fact that many (most?) of the people working on farms and in food processing are low-cost eastern Europeans. We Brits just won't pay enough for food to give a decent wage to the people who produce it.

On the other hand, we pay a packet to the banks to pay inflated property values. Our food is now a much smaller proportion of our income than it was 25 / 50 years ago but that 'saving' has been more than outweighed by the increased mortgage or rent.

How we put this situation right is beyond me. We've seen the effect of leaving it to the market with the banks but exactly how you change things to localise food production, get people to understand seasonal means no strawberries in January and pay for quality, I don't know.

Of course, there is another view - the demolition of large scale farms in Africa has resulted in massive drops in production. Countries like Zimbabwe and Nigeria were food exporters but now..

Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

mike1987

• Experienced Member
« Reply #34 on: September 27, 2010, 11:29 »
most small farms in my area have small shops and cafe's on there land to subsidise there income and small camping areas with toilets and showers seem to be a big earner add that to what they can make form there produce and after the bills they manage to turn a small proffit

Spana

« Reply #35 on: September 27, 2010, 12:34 »
most small farms in my area have small shops and cafe's on there land to subsidise there income and small camping areas with toilets and showers seem to be a big earner add that to what they can make form there produce and after the bills they manage to turn a small proffit

Thats basically what we do.  We might make a loss on the farming but having the land with the farm animals brings in money from tourism. 
Setting up a shop and cafe or toilets and showers for a camp site would take a large amount of cash, health and safety rules make sure of that, and the insurance premiums are high if you have the public doing anything on your property that results in them paying you.  It just wouldn't pay if you had to do it with borrowed money.

OH is always saying we need to get back to the way things were in the 1950, I dont know if hes right but John is right, food is too cheap.

I used to think it would be oil that caused the next world war, I now think it will be food and water. :(

But we grow our own, dont we :D

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #36 on: September 27, 2010, 12:36 »

Of course we can't go back to the horse for horsepower (or could we?)

John in forestry a lot are going back to this idea as horses hooves don't impact the ground like motor vehicles do  :)
Staffies are softer than you think.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #37 on: September 27, 2010, 13:02 »
we'll have to go back to horse power if no reasonable alternative to oil  can be found ::)

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #38 on: September 27, 2010, 13:16 »
Naasaay Lass  :lol:

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #39 on: September 27, 2010, 13:19 »
 :lol:  :lol:  ;)

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #40 on: September 27, 2010, 13:21 »
Joking aside it is a worry though  :ohmy:

tedsdad

« Reply #41 on: September 27, 2010, 13:45 »
Prakash - that's shocking  :D
Spana - the problem as I see it is that the economics of farming are twisted. Watching some farming videos, you could be forgiven thinking you were watching an episode of Top Gear. Huge combines, multiple tractor / trailer combinations servicing them etc.

Of course we can't go back to the horse for horsepower (or could we?) but our reliance on economies of scale and high oil use are dangerous in the longer term as oil is only going to get more expensive.

It's a sad fact that many (most?) of the people working on farms and in food processing are low-cost eastern Europeans. We Brits just won't pay enough for food to give a decent wage to the people who produce it.

On the other hand, we pay a packet to the banks to pay inflated property values. Our food is now a much smaller proportion of our income than it was 25 / 50 years ago but that 'saving' has been more than outweighed by the increased mortgage or rent.

How we put this situation right is beyond me. We've seen the effect of leaving it to the market with the banks but exactly how you change things to localise food production, get people to understand seasonal means no strawberries in January and pay for quality, I don't know.

Of course, there is another view - the demolition of large scale farms in Africa has resulted in massive drops in production. Countries like Zimbabwe and Nigeria were food exporters but now..

John , I've been a smallholder all my life,and further down the hill where the land is more fertile,the farmers drive around in immense tonka toys,mostly costing tens of £thou.But remember overwhelmingly they havent bought their farms and don't have a mortgage or start up loans like any normal business.they have traditionally been bombarded by machinary manufacturers,and fuelled by bank loans based on the value of the land they never had to pay for ,they get caught in a spiral of haviing to coax more and more out of a given space. On balance,I'll stick to the wheelbarrow.

modified to clarify quote
« Last Edit: September 27, 2010, 14:04 by mumofstig »

Paul Plots

« Reply #42 on: September 28, 2010, 01:33 »
Prakash - that's shocking  :D

Apparently large vast areas of several African nations are being leased by larger nations in order to produce food crops - I think China, for one, has sent in costly mechanisation in order to supplement it's own food resources. None of the food produced directly benefits the people of Africa only as an additional income for the African nations' governments....

Food is a big and seemingly unfair business in some places.  :(
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

elibump

« Reply #43 on: September 28, 2010, 19:29 »
Naasaay Lass  :lol:

How does Auntie always find the right phrase/picture for the situation????????????  Are they home-grown :wub:????

Eli xx
Talking to the microwave,I ask you wall, what is the world coming to?
Blesséd are the cracked for tis they who let in the light!

Jamie Butterworth

• Young Gardener at Chelsea Flower Show - 2014, 2015
  • BBC3 Young Gardener Of The Year 2011 - Finalist
    • Jamie Butterworth
« Reply #44 on: September 28, 2010, 20:11 »
When im older, with a job and a family, i would love nothing more than to own a few acres of land, to grow all the veg i would need to stop me ever buying any ever again, an orcahrd, a few polytunnels etc. You get the picture, basically like the list leaner made. Hopefully one day :)
If you want to be happy for a short time - get drunk.

If you want to be happy for a long time - fall in love.

If you want to be happy forever - take up gardening!

Page created in 0.169 seconds with 39 queries.