asparagus advice

• 8 Replies

Grubbypaws

asparagus advice
« on: January 01, 2012, 09:25 »
The advice on growing asparagus says to cut back the foliage to 5-10cm in the autumn when the foliage turns yellow. The foliage on my asparagus plants is still a healthy green!

Question: should I still cut it back?

seedman

• Experienced Member
Re: asparagus advice
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2012, 10:19 »
Yes so is mine, its down to the warm weather we are getting frost should sort things out, haven't cut mine down yet there again a lot on my allotment haven't  cut there's  :)
Give me a sense of humor, Lord,
Give me the grace to see a joke,
To get some humour out of life,
And pass it on to other folk.
Happy new year to you all xx

Trillium

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2012, 16:53 »
The advice presumes that the plant has died down for the season.

As long as there's green growth, just leave it alone - the plant is still growing and feeding itself. Soon enough it will turn yellow and only then can you cut it back. 

Bodmass

• Follow Bod on Twitter
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2012, 17:22 »
Sorry to hijack, but this seems a better place than a new thread.

What do I have in these photos?  I've got a new plot with some asparagus left by the previous owner, 1 group of stems and a single stem separately.  Are each of these stems together separate plants? If so are there too many too close together?  Do I need to do anything with them other than trim (they are all yellow)?

As you may be able to tell, I know nothing about asparagus (not even what they taste like, never mind how to grow or crop) :(
IMAG0040.jpg
IMAG0041.jpg
Toiling through 100sq metres of clay - And I don't actually eat much veg!

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2012, 17:28 »
One crown of asparagus can throw up many stems during the season. The single one could be a poor performer.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

gobs

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2012, 17:29 »
If they are asparagus, just leave them well alone. Some established plants. With a lot of spears hopefully, in the spring.
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

Trillium

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2012, 17:30 »
Bodmass, the plants are a bit too close together but I wouldn't move them unless you absolutely have to. They'll survive moving but it will set them back a year or so while they recover. If you can find the space, you might consider moving every second plant by digging out most of the rootball with lots of soil in place and shifting it to the new spot. Be aware that asparagus roots can spread far and wide and are both close to the surface and deep. Is there anyone on your site who could show you specifically where to dig?

The single plant root will put up many stems from the central crown, and that's what all those brown bits are. Now is the time to trim those brown stalks off, about an inch or so above the soil, and weed. The brown tops can be composted. And from now until spring, you can give them all a feeding with rotted manure and some compost. As DD suggests, the single stems can be struggling from crowding.

Bodmass

• Follow Bod on Twitter
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2012, 17:58 »
Many thanks for the replies.

The group of stems have ferns reaching up to a yard tall, the single one is much smaller.  Does appear then that I have a 2nd struggling plant alongside a very strong one with multiple stems.

2 of my neighbours that I've met did make a point of pointing out the asperagus (with a hint of jealousy), on the only occasion so far I've met them.  I did tell my female neighbour that I had no real desire to keep them & she could possibly take it.  It's located at the end of my plot that we have decided to use for growing herbs in containers, sticking a growhouse & compost bins etc.

So I'm thinking I could arrange things around the strong plant & see if one of my neighbours wants the other (& hope they know what they're doing with it when it comes to digging up).  From the above it seems I would want to excavate with a trowel in order to not damage the roots by just shoving a shovel inbetween them?

Thanks for the advice!

Trillium

« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2012, 21:51 »
If you want to fuss you can use a trowel, but as long as the crown area (where the stems emerge) remains in soil, you can dig up with a shovel or spade. There will always be root 'fingers' left no matter what you do.

xx
Asparagus advice

Started by brownp on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post May 11, 2017, 09:58
by Hampshire Hog
xx
(More!) Asparagus advice please

Started by JoyPegs on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post May 23, 2022, 08:48
by JoyPegs
xx
Asparagus advice

Started by Robert_S on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post September 02, 2011, 16:51
by Salmo
xx
Advice on asparagus please

Started by Noah'strolly on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post January 28, 2009, 19:20
by nicchick

Page created in 0.377 seconds with 38 queries.