Will know better for next year

• 25 Replies

muntjac

saving tomato's
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2007, 12:05 »
dont forget you can freeze tomatos for stews or  fry ups , puree them. i make my own passata .also you can oven dry them and store in oil

i have a very large freezer due to it usually holding lots of game over winter etc also i have my 9ft by 3 ft one that holds packs of longlines for taking out on the boat fishing . if you see any chest / deep freezer  freezer offered on freecycle GRAB IT   :wink:  :lol:
still alive /............

Annie

« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2007, 13:33 »
And don`t forget basil for your sauce.This year is my first without a freezer load of roast toms.Praying for better weather next year and will ignore OH and fill the greenhouse with toms next year!

muntjac

« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2007, 13:48 »
how u been roasting em annie . stick the method in the cooking box i can copy it then  :wink:

Annie

« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2007, 14:11 »
have put it on your reciepe slot,very simple.

gobs

« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2007, 07:10 »
Quote from: "muntjac"
i am going to do a " gardening on a budget " topic in the next few weeks to cover the things needed to start an allotment producing in the cheapest way possible so keep an eye open.. yes it does mean im a skinflint lolo

That would be welcome, I hope it would also  include other than starting off, as I'm rubbish at this. 8)  8)  8)
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

sweet nasturtium

« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2007, 19:19 »
Anyone do pasta sauces in jars?  I like the idea of that.

muntjac

« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2007, 19:30 »
i tried but they kept getting blight .now i may try growing them in the cooking forum that may help  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :wink:

Annie

« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2007, 10:10 »
I tried to bottle pasta sauce but it started fermenting after a couple of days!

wellingtons

I make tomato sauce for pasta ...
« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2007, 10:16 »
... and you can keep it in the fridge for about a week, but for any longer than that you have to freeze it.  But I freeze it in jars as I find sauce in bags a bit iffy when thawing.

All I do is halve or quarter the tomatoes and put them in a ovenproof dish with some finely chopped onions and splash of balsamic vinegar and lots of black pepper.  Roast until slightly charred, cool and blitz.  Pop into jars.

:D

gobs

« Reply #24 on: October 09, 2007, 11:13 »
Tomatoes to store without preservatives need to be boiled and sieved and the bottles  need to be cooled very slowly.

also me old recipe book says that artificially ripened tomatoes won't store this way, don't know if that's true, or why :roll:  :roll:

Noah'strolly

• Experienced Member
« Reply #25 on: October 09, 2007, 11:54 »
I freeze  everything in thoses lovely plastic containers that come with the chinese take away. They stack great in my freezer and can go straight in the microwave.

Page created in 0.302 seconds with 35 queries.