Honey has gone to sleep.

• 16 Replies

judrop

• the chooks !
Honey has gone to sleep.
« on: February 24, 2010, 22:07 »
 :( Hi there,
Sadly we lost the second of our three ex batts last night, O H went to let the girls out this morning as usual, and our lovely Honey was dead,( we only got them last July), but she had not been poorly, she occasionally had that `far away` look they sometime have , but seemed on the whole fit and well, had even started laying again,if only occasionally.
I know she had the best few months of her life, lots of sunshine and fun,( AND shimmying in the tumble dryer warm air outlet ) just so sad that some battery hens dont have a longer life.
Will now keep a good eye on the last one my `super hen ` Coco I LOVE that chicken, and would be lost without her, she is bright funny happy and brave, I know she will go one day but not just yet a while PLEASE !!
Just wanted to share my thoughts with like minded people, and pay a small tribute to all battery hens , and today especially Honey.
Thanks Ju XX

wildwitchy

Re: Honey has gone to sleep.
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2010, 23:00 »
It's always sad when we lose our pets. At least the ex batts have been given a little bit of extra freedom and love when we've rescued them. I've got 4 ex batts left now out of 6 & I know I'll have some more. One of my ex batts I lost in october was called libby and she was a real character so i can really feel your loss. xx

Oliveview

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2010, 08:10 »
Our neighbours think we are mad keeping a chicken that does not lay any eggs and is blind in one eye, but she is eating and seems happy.  They become such characters, it is no wonder we become so addicted to hens.
Pamela

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2010, 08:14 »
so sorry, but please take some comfort in the fact that she has had a wonderful normal chickenny life with you since last July, huge hugs xxx
Staffies are softer than you think.

Jeanette

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2010, 10:26 »
I have got four ex bats left from seven and i know how hard it is when one goes and all of mine have gone unexpectely but they were all very happy the same as yours. I am so sorry that you have lost Honey. Hugs (((())))

flangey

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2010, 10:52 »
Hello, big hugs from us all here too, the only down side of keeping any animal is that you lose them eventually, it's worth every second that you have them though.  Have you ever read the 'Rainbow Bridge' poem? look it up, it's comforting, but sad x

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2010, 11:35 »
I know you said its a shame they don't have a longer life, but hybrids are not bred for longevity.

So if you have any that live to be older than 3 years, you must count yourself very lucky.  Strange though how some of them seem to give up very quickly and others go on for another couple of years. 

Sorry about Honey

Nickchick

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2010, 12:10 »
Sorry to hear that Judrop.  I have been to the vet today with one of my three ex-batts.  It is not looking good for her.  If she is no better tomorrow she will go to the vet for one last time:-(

Thinking of you. x

spider

• Winner - Pumpkin Competition 2012
  • Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2010, 12:30 »
Sleep tight Honey :(

Spider

judrop

• the chooks !
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2010, 15:25 »
Hi everyone,
As usual on here everyone is SO kind, I knew you wouldnt think I was potty !
I will look up the poem flangy, and all the best with the sick chick Nickchick.
Thank you all VERY much for kind words support and info,
YOUR ALL STARS!
Bless you all Ju XX

judrop

• the chooks !
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2010, 15:48 »
P S , have looked up Rainbow Bridge, made me cry ( unexpectedly, dont "do" tears) reminded me of all my wonderful animal friends no longer here, THANK YOU Flangy XX

wildwitchy

« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2010, 16:59 »
When I had to take libby to the vet I was so upset & my husband had to walk out - he couldn't deal with it (he never can when the animals are ill). I love having them, but dread it when that time comes. The vet was very good but He seemed a bit perplexed at my reaction I think over a chicken?

Casiat

« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2010, 21:37 »

So sorry to hear you've lost a lovely chookie........

I have 4 ex batts at the moment, have had several over the years, some don't have much time, others have much longer but at least they all get to know what life is like being a proper hen.

Sweet Dreams Honey

Flowerpower136

« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2010, 21:27 »
So sorry.  Good that she had a life after the cages, thanks to you.

LittleRedHen

• little red hens egg blog
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2010, 21:57 »
I think you are a true hero and admire you for the wonderful life you have given those girls who lived and toiled under horrible conditions.  I am so very sorry for your loss.  Every hen has her own personality and deserves to be loved and kept well.  You did this brilliantly.
When I die I will slide in sideways, a glass of wine in one hand and chocolate in the other, screaming, "Whooo hooo!  What a ride!" as life is to be enjoyed to the fullest!

xx
how much sleep??

Started by kellym on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post March 16, 2011, 16:45
by evie2
xx
How old should ducklings be before they sleep outside?

Started by christinao on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post August 16, 2009, 20:23
by christinao
xx
How many hens can sleep in this?

Started by fallen angel on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post January 06, 2017, 11:14
by New shoot
xx
Can my girls sleep outside now?

Started by MellowYellow on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post June 17, 2011, 20:08
by MellowYellow

Page created in 0.219 seconds with 34 queries.