Help confused re runny nose

• 9 Replies

Loulih

Help confused re runny nose
« on: October 08, 2012, 20:59 »
We got our 3 chickens on Saturday and they seem bright and active, eating well, drinking but noticed 2 of them seem to have runny noses. One of them wassneezing on Sat eve/Sun morning but not noticed today.
Poo was very runny on Saturday but that has all settled down and they are firm now.
Some sites say chickens get colds and to add apple cider vinegar to the water (have bought and will do this tomorrow) plus there is the obvious stress of the move but concerned that may be more serious... should we take to the vet?
To be honest we'd been thinking about getting chickens for ages and then did an impulse buy and had hassles getting the chickens and I'm not convinced now that the birds have even had the vaccinations they should have had. The guy says they have and I've asked for paperwork to confirm, whether we get it or not.... Serious lesson learned!
Back to the noses tho, we want the chickens for the eggs and as pets and also read if they need antibiotics we can't eat the eggs??? which then half defeats the purpose! Priority definitely trying to make sure they are healthy tho.
Any advice much appreciated.

jhub

• jane
Re: Help confused re runny nose
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2012, 21:36 »
They could be suffering from mycoplasma which occurs in susceptible chickens when they're stressed, eg after a move or when moulting. It can be treated with antibiotics and the egg withdrawal period varies. The antibiotic you're concerned about is Baytril which I think has been banned in the States.
Now is a good time to find a poultry friendly vet.

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2012, 23:11 »
My vet prescribed Baytril and said there was an egg withdrawal period.  Can't remember if it was a week after finishing the Baytril or a month.  Did not pay attention as it was for a broody with new chicks so she was not laying at the time.   :blush:
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2012, 07:25 »
I think there are two strengths of Baytril, however you may be better asking vets for an antibiotic that is licensed for poultry such as Aureomycin, Deneguard and Tylan.
Staffies are softer than you think.

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2012, 13:03 »
Now I am confused.  I read this on the Poultry Club of GB.

"Treatment
Antibiotic treatment will not completely cure the disease but will reduce the incidence to a tolerably low level. Tylan Soluble is licensed for the treatment of mycoplasma, as is Baytril. These oral preparations are effective in young stock but seem to be less effective in older stock. Tylan 200 injection (not licensed for poultry) is effective with 0.5ml in the breast muscle of an adult large fowl, repeated 48 hours later if still sneezing. If still noisy after that the bird must be culled as the organism will be too deeply entrenched within the airsacs and hollow bones to be removed, the bird remaining a carrier which will infect others. The reason Tylan 200 is not licensed for poultry is because it harms muscle, which in a meat bird is disastrous but in backyard or fancy poultry which do not enter the food chain, it is not really an issue."

So is it just the Baytril injection that is not Licensed for poultry?   :unsure:

splash101

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2012, 13:39 »
ANHBUC Oh my, I love it when a plan comes together  :ohmy:

Loulih, what bedding are you using in the hen house. The 1st chooks i had came out wheezing and sneezing after only a couple of days. That was due to the wood shavings not being dust extracted. As soon as i changed them they were better. I know its a long shot but could it be this? (trying to be optimistic)
Hope you get sorted soon.

Sassy

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2012, 07:56 »
ANHBUC Oh my, I love it when a plan comes together  :ohmy:

Loulih, what bedding are you using in the hen house. The 1st chooks i had came out wheezing and sneezing after only a couple of days. That was due to the wood shavings not being dust extracted. As soon as i changed them they were better. I know its a long shot but could it be this? (trying to be optimistic)
Hope you get sorted soon.

This may be a very valid point!

Also having vaccinated chooks does not guarantee that they will never suffer from what they have been vaccinated against :(!
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

Loulih

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2012, 20:30 »
Thanks for your all your advice!
Apparently all the chickens have been vaccinated although I'm gathering that doesn't stop them getting it.
2 still have runny noses but no other signs - happy and perky and all eating lots!

Their bedding is wood shavings so will definitely look at that - I'm being optimistic as they don't seem to be getting worse.

I'll let you know how I get on

Sassy

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2012, 08:57 »
Just for the record it is advisable not to mix vaccinated and unvaccinated chooks. If it is a mild dose of mycoplasma they are suffering from you should never breed from them a they will pass it on. :)

Loulih

« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2012, 20:55 »
Not planning on breeding from them. Plan was just to have the three and as one 'pops its clogs' maybe bring in another 2. Only really have space for max of 4 at mo.

I am thinking it is mild mycoplasma from everything i've read so that would scupper plans for future as we'd have to wait until all of them peg it! So frustrating! Not even had them a week and we wanted them as pets as much as egglayers. They are already feeding from our hands and come running when we call....

question
runny nose

Started by warrenlovinmama on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post September 09, 2011, 23:11
by warrenlovinmama
xx
runny nose and sneezing- again

Started by jhub on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post May 24, 2010, 20:56
by jhub
xx
Runny nose on new hen - any advice please?

Started by Khususi on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post September 24, 2010, 09:55
by carolbriar
xx
Uh-oh already - newbie with runny nose

Started by Lindeggs on The Hen House

16 Replies
Last post April 02, 2011, 22:58
by Lindeggs

Page created in 0.221 seconds with 33 queries.