Broad beans and harvesting (1) to save seed and (2) for eating

• 8 Replies

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
Last autumn I planted Windsor broad beans in hopes they would over-winter and produce a crop, here, in Georgia, USA where they are not supposed to grow well at all.

1. December 2022 brought a highly unusual and severe cold spell, with temperature overnight down to -14 C. Despite attempts to protect them, all the plants died overnight... EXCEPT ONE PLANT. It survived the cold, despite having no more protection than any of the other plants. It retained some green stems and leaves, but also re-sprouted from the roots. That plant now has nine fat pods on it, as thick as my thumb (see photo). Some of the pods are yellowing, others are green for now. I let this plant go to seed, thinking that a plant that survived that cold and bore seed might bear cold-resistant offspring, that might also produce a crop here. So question 1 is when should I harvest each pod for seed-saving, and how should I process the seed to save them? How long can properly harvested and saved broad bean seed be stored and remain viable?

2. Second question, next time I grow broad beans, I hope to actually eat some. How can you tell when the pods are ready to pick for eating? Should I look for a certain diameter of pod, or something else? In addition to the saved Windsor beans, I also purchased some Aquadulce seed for next autumn.

Thank you!
20230520_130757.jpg
« Last Edit: May 20, 2023, 18:35 by Subversive_plot »
"Somewhere between right and wrong, there is a garden. I will meet you there."~ Rumi

Snow

• Experienced Member
I don't save the seeds as I like using the space for a second crop, but I think it's like climbing beans, you let the pods go papery then pick it. They should last quite a few years if stored properly. Interesting that one plant made it, I can see why you want to save the seeds from it.

As for eating them, it's up to you, you can eat the whole young pods before they get too big like mange tout, pick smaller beans or what I like is to let them go quite fat before picking them. You can also eat the tops of the plant like pea shoots, although with an obvious beany taste

Just looked up real seeds as they have seed saving tips
Let your seed beans mature and dry on the bush. The pods will turn dark drown, dry & wrinkled. Then pick and shell them out.   Check that they are really dry by biting on them.   If your teeth leave a dent, dry them further in a warm (not hot) place with a good flow of air.    Broad bean seeds should keep for several years, so there is no need to grow plants for seed every year

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
Thank you snow.

I'm mostly wanting to eat them as shelled fresh beans at peak flavor.  Fresh broad beans are rare here. My wife has never eaten them, i want her to try them at their best (she is unlikely to try again if the first experience is bad).

As you say, you let the pods get fat. Would you harvest them while the pod is green but maybe let them achieve a certain thickness, like a centimeter? Or more (or less) than that?

Blewit

• Experienced Member
While the pods are still green, feel the beans inside and when the pods start to feel tight it's time of pick one and pop it open to see what's inside. I personally prefer slightly bigger beans as I find them sweeter than the small ones - it really is a matter of personal preference though (the same as some folk leave the jackets on after cooking while others prefer to slip them off ).
The podded beans pictured are relatively young and small (fairly smooth, slightly baggy pods). Some of the beans on the table are much bigger (lumpy, tight pods).

Broad Beans.JPG
20210606_163956.jpg

snowdrops

Lovely description Blewitt  :) I personally like the beans smaller, they seem to go from small to big in a blink of the eye.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Nobbie

If you leave them on the plant to dry out, be careful they are not eaten by mice or voles. They seem to love broad bean seeds around here. I’d be tempted to lift the whole plant once the pods go leathery and hang them up in a shed within a paper bag to catch the seed. On when to eat, they develop in a similar way to peas, getting more starchy and tougher as they develop. My wife will only eat small ones whole and insists on skinning the bigger ones. I must admit when they get big and starchy they are not to my taste, so I tend to harvest while there is still a bit of room for growth left in the pod rather than being tight as a drum over the full sized bean.

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
Thanks everyone.  I keep notes on growing, harvesting, etc. on my computer for specific vegetables. I have a file started for broad beans, I will add your recommendations to my file, and use them when I harvest in the future.

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
Well, we had a bunch of wet weather, and some of the older pods went black on the outside.  I pulled them, some of the seeds seem affected as well.  I shelled them out, we will see if the seed remains viable.

The remaining pods are still green / no black.  with wet weather expected for the next 2 days, I will follow Nobbie's advice and pull the plant, hang it somewhere to dry, hope those seeds are viable.

Fisherman

So I grow the Sutton Broad Bean which grows to a height of about 45CM (18 inches). It is quite a good cropper and a couple of years ago I saved some seed which I have planted and grown for the last 2 years, Although they have grown and cropped well the height of the plants has varied between 45Cm and 200CM! Obviously they have been pollinated by our local bees from other plants. I'm not on an allotment and am not aware of anyone else growing broad beans near me so the bees must have travelled quite some distance. I like the dwarf and compact variety of the Sutton so my conclusion is to buy new seed each year.

I also grew some Aquadulce this season which were sown in November 2022. We had the first pickings yesterday which were good and much earlier than normal spring sown ones. The crop is not as prolific though. But you can't beat home grown new potatoes, broad beans and a bacon chop can you (oh and butter)? Its my favourite look forward to early summer meal with a glass of white wine sat in the sun :) :) :) :)

xx
Harvesting Broad Beans

Started by BigA on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post May 15, 2007, 14:55
by flowerlady
xx
mice eating broad beans

Started by azubah on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post December 07, 2017, 19:23
by Christine
xx
Whats eating my broad beans?

Started by eliop on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post May 14, 2020, 14:51
by New shoot
xx
broad beans - flowering to eating time?

Started by puravida on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post May 28, 2008, 10:11
by Carol

Page created in 0.349 seconds with 47 queries.