Old fuscias

• 18 Replies

Growster...

Old fuscias
« on: March 31, 2011, 06:35 »
Over the years, Mrs Growster has kept several favourite fuscias going by bringing them into the greenhouse for the winter, and letting them out for the run of the garden in the spring.

One particular one, a bright red and white, unfortunately died last year, but we have lots of cuttings which are thriving. This one was a particular favourite, as she had pruned it into a short standard, about 2' 6" tall, with a crown of about 20". It was always in a large pot, and we've just calculated that it was well over twenty years old!

While we're not out to break any records, are there any other ways to keep these lovely chaps and chapesses in a manner to which they have become accustomed?

mrs bouquet

Re: Old fuscias
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2011, 10:53 »
I have one also, which sounds the same as yours.  It was in the ground when we moved in 25 years ago.  We have dug it up and moved it several times, its always healthy and strong and doesn't seem to mind being outside or being moved about.   Lovely plants .
regards,  Mrs Bouquet
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

lazydog

• Experienced Member
    • The alternative to burning tobacco
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2011, 12:05 »
can you split "old fushias we inherited some aswell and the base is large woody mess even when trimmed back to ground level,but they always come back looking great.
But i would like to halve them as well as taking cuttings.
If God didn't want us to eat animals, he wouldn't have made them out of food

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2011, 12:25 »
No you cannot halve them  :( You can only  grow your replacement plants from cuttings and throw out the old one if the woody base irritates

viettaclark

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2011, 17:11 »
Sorry to change topic slightly.....
I put 3 fuscias in last year and went for the tall hardy ones thinking they were the ones that bud on old wood thus making a big bush.
There is no sign of bud burst on the old wood but I've got growth at the base.
Is this the wrong type?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2011, 17:28 »
IMO you will only ever get growth on old wood in the open garden if the winter is mild  :)

In my last garden I had some grown against a SE facing wall that seemed to keep enough heat in, for them to bud from about 2 ft up the stems each year, but shoots buds from the plant in this garden all shootgrow from the base :(

edited to make sense
« Last Edit: March 31, 2011, 21:37 by mumofstig »

Trillium

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2011, 20:43 »
I brought my fuschias into the house last fall as our winters are simply too cold for them, and they're sprouting from the old woody base rather than the branches. As long as they'll regrow, they can do what they want  :D

viettaclark

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2011, 23:01 »
Cool! 8)

chrisnchris

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2011, 00:23 »
I think we have lost all our hardy fuscias this year....dozens.
I grew them all from cuttings about 15years ago & they were all planted directly in the ground.
No sign of life from any of them :(

Out with the old........in with the new :D :D

Growster...

« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2011, 05:49 »
I have one also, which sounds the same as yours.  It was in the ground when we moved in 25 years ago.  We have dug it up and moved it several times, its always healthy and strong and doesn't seem to mind being outside or being moved about.   Lovely plants .
regards,  Mrs Bouquet

Seems it came from the same stable Mrs B! Checking a few Google images (hope that's OK Aunt Sally?) it looks more or less like a Ricarrtonii, or a Corallina, and is supposed to be hardy!

Growster...

« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2011, 05:50 »
I brought my fuschias into the house last fall as our winters are simply too cold for them, and they're sprouting from the old woody base rather than the branches. As long as they'll regrow, they can do what they want  :D

Absolutely Trillium!

Growster...

« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2011, 05:52 »
I think we have lost all our hardy fuscias this year....dozens.
I grew them all from cuttings about 15years ago & they were all planted directly in the ground.
No sign of life from any of them :(

Out with the old........in with the new :D :D

I'd hang in there Chris, we've been surprised as late as May some years!

Trillium

« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2011, 15:30 »
I think bringing them indoors in the UK might be a better idea. Considering the excessively cold winters you've had the last 2 years, it could get expensive replacing the slightly tender plants every year.

Growster...

« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2011, 20:20 »
I think you're right Trillium.

We have a day herding plants into the various greenhouses, sheds etc around half term in the autumn, and decant the lot roughly about now, when most of the frosts are on their way out, or nearly gone, because we still cover them on bad nights.

chrisnchris

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2011, 21:47 »
The ones that are still dormant (possibly dead) have been in the ground for 15 years. The root "clump"? is about 8"-10" across in most cases. They are always cut right back & the new growth will reach 18"-24"

I have lost a few over the years & that patch only has fuscias on it, I guess about 30.
They were all  hardy varieties, about 6 different if I recall & all grown from cuttings I took from a single plant.
Over a two year period I took over 200 cuttings from those original 6 plants & their offspring, so, not an expensive operation, probably less than £10

I don't have the inclination to dig them all up to over-winter them indoors, the greenhouse isn't big enough  :( Besides which, it's always full of the non hardy types in pots :)

I will give them another couple of weeks, but I know that they have always shown signs of life earlier than this before.
It just struck me as strange, especially when you consider the good weather we've had for the past few weeks, that not a single one was coming out to play  :(

xx
Fuscias in Pots

Started by flatt1e on General Gardening

1 Replies
Last post March 17, 2012, 10:37
by Yorkie

Page created in 0.141 seconds with 33 queries.