Please lets help the wildlife

• 26 Replies

Ruby Red

Please lets help the wildlife
« on: August 28, 2009, 08:16 »
 Having read lots of posts recently about caterpillers on various plants and crysallis, can I just plead with people that this is the time of year when next years butterflies are settling down to see out the winter months under these guises. They obviously need the plants they have found themselves on so please think. Do you really need to "clear "or "tidy " up the garden before the spring. So many creatures are tossed into the brown bins or burned. We all need to help to restore the balance of nature. After all, no doubt many of you will be on here again next year telling us what you have seen. Lets all do our bit. Dont be so tidy.  :)
Oh for those halcyon days of England long ago

poultrygeist

Re: Please lets help the wildlife
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2009, 19:15 »
I agree Ruby. :)

Even a small corner where the creepy crawlies can overwinter is a positive. If everyone does it, it may slow the decline of many species that were once common but are now threatened. :(

Rob  8)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2009, 19:18 »
I don't squash :) unless they're on my brassicas  :ohmy: Then they have no chance :mad:

poultrygeist

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2009, 19:22 »
I think cabbage whites will never be endagered ! :D

But the pretty ones need all the help they can get. I've been very unselfish this year and, for the sake of wildlife, left whole areas of the garden untidy with weeds. I feel quite angelic as I deliberately neglect it. :D

Rob 8)

goodegg

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2009, 20:34 »
i allways leave room for bibeets allways stinging neetles for caterpillars and wild areas for other things to live in and on  old logs for other things like beetles and wood lice to live in but i dont like to see wild bits where im am growing or about to grow thats places for moulds and disease to accumilate we dont want that.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2009, 20:41 »
Our garden is a virtual haven for wildlife!    :D :D

8doubles

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2009, 21:09 »
I`m all for wildlife, unfortunately so are the hens. :unsure:

Salmo

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2009, 21:55 »
I think cabbage whites will never be endagered ! :D

But the pretty ones need all the help they can get. I've been very unselfish this year and, for the sake of wildlife, left whole areas of the garden untidy with weeds. I feel quite angelic as I deliberately neglect it. :D

Rob 8)

You would be sorry if they were gone. Do not take cabbage whites for granted. We have seen in the past how someone has come along with a chemical that kills very efficiently and before we know it a whole ecosystem collapses. I think we should be very wary of all the nematodes that are being applied to our soils to kill slugs, butterflies, ants and other pests. How specific are they? Can they change their habits?

poultrygeist

« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2009, 22:00 »
Don't worry. They've eaten more cabbage than I have.  ::)

No pesticides. No herbicides. Just whatever ambles through and fancies a snack.  :D

We get the leftovers. :D

Rob 8)

BobandJack

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2009, 13:08 »
Up against my boundary fence I have woodpiles, large stones & rocks (all the ones I unearth whilst digging get chucked up the back, luckily there's a really high fence so passers by don't get brained) & I leave the grass to grow long, there were already some well established shrubs, buddleia, forsythia &dogwood.  I also have a tiny pond which I'm hoping will attract frogs next year. It's only a very small space really but it's very welcome for invertebrates & consequently birds.  I found a slow worm basking there a couple of weeks ago & I was delighted  :)

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2009, 13:55 »
We have ensured our garden has many little hidey holes for all sorts of wildlife

TIP don't cut down the stems of hollow stemmed plants like fennel until mid spring when insects are up and about again. :D
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Ruby Red

« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2009, 20:58 »

Great to see so many positive replies. As for taking cabbage whites for granted, the same went for sparrows and look at them. In some areas they arent as common as they used to be. Who would have thought it.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2009, 21:11 »
  the same went for sparrows and look at them.
Yes look at Sparrows.....I was happily looking at sparrows until I saw them pecking at my peas :ohmy: Then i had to get the netting out. :lol:
They are still welcome on the feeders though :)

poultrygeist

« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2009, 21:20 »
I keep meaning to make a sparrow nest box. Must do it. We have a lot of hedges though.

Rob 8)

Kagganz

« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2009, 08:45 »
After my first year of growing loads of veggies in my garden with no plan originally!   

I have decided that next year I shall grow only the veggies that I had great success and the family enjoyed, alongside some flowers to attract the bees etc. and some hidey holes and corners for any wildlife that happens by the garden.

.................................that's the plan anyway  ;)

xx

xx
Lets Be(e) friends & butterflies of course

Started by Dopey113 on General Gardening

5 Replies
Last post April 15, 2012, 06:40
by tosca100
xx
happy Christmas to all my growing friends lets hope for another great season

Started by ricky on General Gardening

3 Replies
Last post December 26, 2014, 12:04
by snowdrops
xx
Wildlife pond

Started by londongardener on General Gardening

3 Replies
Last post February 06, 2018, 11:43
by Stewarty
xx
wildlife garden

Started by peapod on General Gardening

17 Replies
Last post March 31, 2010, 16:03
by rock_chick

Page created in 0.136 seconds with 35 queries.