New Hen Owner

• 8 Replies

bluelou

• Experienced Member
New Hen Owner
« on: February 18, 2011, 14:58 »
I am looking at getting 2 hens when i move, the garden will be small.

Would ex battery hens be ok to have?

This there a good book for beginners.

rachelr

Re: New Hen Owner
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2011, 15:24 »
The haynes manual for chicken keeping is good.

It depends on what you are getting hens for. If you want company go for ex bats they will give you hours of fun. BUT they can cost a lot in vets bills and some dont make it in the big world.

If you are after an easy life ish get yourself some hybrids. They are relatively easy to look after lay almost everyday and can be very cheeky lol

I have three ex bats and i get eggs every now and again. but i started with 5 and lost one almost immediately the other went a few weeks later

bluelou

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2011, 15:31 »
Thanks.

I am wanting layers with low cost but the soft side of me want to rescue some ex-battery hens.

Casey76

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2011, 15:36 »
ex-bats are nor for beginners.  They can take a lot of care and attention, and often have underlying problems, which can mean trips to the vet.

Ex bats are rescued, and should be seen as going into retirement,not a cheap source of eggs.  If you get any eggs, it should be viewed as a happy extra - but you should not get ex bats and to expect eggs - after all they are being disposed of because their laying life is over.

As a beginner, you would be better off buying a couple of POL (point of lay) commercial hybrids - red or black sex-links, which are hardy and beginner resilient.

PaulineM

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2011, 15:39 »
Hi
I would definitely recommend the haynes chicken manual.
I would also suggest you go for 3 POL hybrid. Get 3 as if anything happens to one the other one won't be on its own.
1 Hubby, 2 children, 2 Welsummers, 1 Leghorn Banty, 1 Wyandotte Banty, 1 Barnevelder, 2 Isa Brown, 1 Rhode Island, 1 Goldline,1 Maran, 2 Mottled Leghorns, 1 Leghorn cockerel & 2 Jack Russells

bluelou

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2011, 19:09 »
Many thanks for the comments.

Haynes manual on order.

I was looking at the moveable chicken ark, it says it houses 4 hens, do you think it will be ok for 2 to 3 hens?

D

• Experienced Member
  • Bella
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2011, 20:22 »
Two or three hens would be fine in the arc. However I would recommend that you went for three hens, since in the event of getting two and one passes away you will have one left on its own which doesn't do the bird any favours since they like to be in company of other birds.

daisy1990

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2011, 20:40 »
would agree with previous comments.  The ark will be plenty big enough for roosting (hens like to cuddle up close to keep warm)  bet you wont stop at three though, hens are very compulsive, we bought three last year and have four chicks on order! You also need to think about where they will exercise and how you will keep them safe from predators
3 dogs, 8 chickens, 4 rabbits 2 guinea pigs, 10 quail, 2 fish and a demanding daughter who has gone to uni and left me with 29 animals to care for!!=)

rachelr

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2011, 22:27 »
if you get hybrid point of lays they are not expensive and can be got for as little as £4 in some areas. I paid £5.75 for mine.

Rachel

smiley
New Chicken Owner - I need help

Started by tobert51 on The Hen House

14 Replies
Last post January 06, 2011, 21:50
by joyfull
xx
new chook owner

Started by buttony22 on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post August 22, 2011, 02:31
by Lindeggs
xx
Advice please - new owner

Started by Tosca on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post March 27, 2010, 16:03
by Sassy
xx
very new chicken owner

Started by pandoradeus on The Hen House

14 Replies
Last post August 03, 2010, 20:18
by pandoradeus

Page created in 0.243 seconds with 36 queries.